Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 09:51 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,664,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I can't agree. After the rash of home invasions where thugs were entering homes via the garages of the victims, one would think that people that want to keep their homes safe would keep the doors closed. If people aren't going to accept any responsibility for their personal safety then they can expect to be preyed upon.
I'm not saying people shouldn't be responsible for their well being in a manner that is compliant with their environment, but there is a difference between being responsible for such security and bearing responsibility for a crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 10:01 AM

175 posts, read 546,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
When did the scales tip? When did the homeowner who worked his a** off to buy a home that had a lawn big enough to require his attention become more stupid than the man who would come and rob a woman at gunpoint in the bedroom of her own home? Is this home owner any less stupid than the man owns a convenient store and holds it open all day while sitting behind a register full of cash? Is this store owner "asking for it"? Why are we stupid and they're clever??? Loves, the very fact that you are thinking this way tells me that something is very wrong and the criminals are winning his fight. When they start to creep into the minds of the intellegent, level headed , wise ones who keep the rest of us grounded.....well, that tells me that they are winning. Yes, we need to use our heads, but leaving yourself access to your tools while caring for your lawn should not make you the stupid party in a trial. I know police are frustrated that we continue to live our lives as though we do not know crime exists and I swear, I know why.(long story) But cops, and politicians, will continue to appeal to the people they can reach because it is more possible than than getting the damn criminals to stop committing crimes!!!! As long as we allow each other the comfort of thinking "THEY" could have done something to avoid the crime, we allow the criminals to soar. We elect the politicians, they promise results. If they are not going to hold criminals responsible then we need to find a way to hold them responsible!!! But Dammit, if I'm going to hold my neighbor responsible for a man walking into her bedroom in the middle of the day and demanding everything her family, and the family before her worked hard for because he "wanted It " ?????
When we start thinking that we are at fault for the crime cast upon us, we let the criminals win and we let the very officials we elected off the hook for protecting us.!!!
THE SQUEAKY WHEEL GETS THE OIL....DON'T SETTLE FOR A LUBE JOB.
We need our taxes to go to KEEPING these criminals off the streets which will ultimately send a message to "would be " criminals to go somewhere else. It should only take a dozen or so really stiff penaly's????
Please forgive my rantings and my run on sentences.
WELL Said!

Old 06-06-2008, 10:02 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,893,114 times
I think the only fault of the homeowner was to think that anybody would be so brazen as to do this in broad daylight. There's always a first time for everything! One almost has to think of every possibility and that is not realistic. What a way to live!

Old 06-06-2008, 10:08 AM

250 posts, read 335,773 times
Great, yet another black felon. Too bad hussein doesn't talk about black responsibility. More of the same. I would have just shot the guy, as I conceal carry.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:08 AM

431 posts, read 1,668,381 times
Doorway, your post was spot on! Couldnt agree more with you.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:16 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,945,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
I'm not saying people shouldn't be responsible for their well being in a manner that is compliant with their environment, but there is a difference between being responsible for such security and bearing responsibility for a crime.
Thanks for the clarification.

Old 06-06-2008, 04:35 PM

1,453 posts, read 5,148,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
They put themselves in the position to be victimized - they share some responsibility for this. The guy didn't even have to pick a lock or kick in a door - they practically invited him in with that door wide open. I have a hard time mustering sympathy for people this clueless. True victims have done all in their power to assure their safety and THEN been robbed, beaten, raped, murdered etc.

I'm sorry but i ABSOLUTELY disagree. Whether or not the victims had their doors locked the son of a B---- had absolutely no right whatsoever to step onto their property and even less right to put a gun to that woman's chest. What makes anyone think that a criminal, a thug has the right to do what he did? The victims had the right to live in peace in the home that they've worked for. The real crime here is that the perpetrator wasn't shot dead in his tracks!

Old 06-06-2008, 05:18 PM

36 posts, read 228,085 times
I feel more and more confined every day. DH and I lived in metro areas of Boston, Chicago and Menlo Park CA over the last 15 years and I've never felt as anxious and regrettful for selecting to living in a city as I do in this one. One should not have to barricade and imprison themselves every moment they occupy their own home in order to keep from being victimized in a decent neighborhood in a weekday mid-morning or afternoon.

While any city has it's ups and downs - Charlotte seems be caught in a downward spiral that is wider than ever. After yesterday, I guess I now won't even food shop in broad daylight unless someone else is home so I don't have to leave my car trunk opened and my door unlocked while I carry in the groceries alone.

Old 06-06-2008, 05:44 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
All the posts have been very thought provoking.

Doorway - I understand what you are saying. I do not think anyone here is "blaming" the victims of this heinous (and frightening) crime. I know I surely don't.

I also see what you are saying about holding politicians accountable, in the sense of their doing what needs to be done to get the thugs off the street. But I am not sure that is enuff to deter crime. Yes, I agree - "no more revolving door!!!!" However, as long as we know we have thugs marauding our neighborhoods . . . shouldn't we also do everything possible to "keep ourselves safe?" I am not trying to be contentious - I am sincerely asking the question . . . in the sense of . . . don't we also have a responsibility for making sure we are not "easy pickings?" Or am I wrong here?

I truly am confused as to the attitude amongst us about crime. I think we all agree - we are sick and tired of these creeps being out on the street - we are sick of the "Catch and Release" justice system. But do we all not bear some responsibility for our own safety? Please know, I am not suggesting that just b/c I am a cautious person that I can avoid all crime. Someone can still kick in my door, even if it is locked!!!! Someone can car jack me while I am stopped at a signal light . . . I do realize this. There is no way to 100% guarantee that I will always avoid being a victim of crime, no matter how careful, cautious and vigilant I may be.

I look at averting crime much like carrying an umbrella on a day that the meteorologists say may include rain. I have the umbrella w/ me . . . even if it doesn't actually rain. Does this make me overly cautious to carry my umbrella when there is only a slight chance of rain? To me, it is the same as locking my doors and looking in my rearview mirror when I come home after errands. So far, 100% of the time, it didn't matter that I was cautious. No one attempted to carjack me or knock me on the head while carrying in groceries. But I continue to look in my rearview mirror - JUST IN CASE - the same way I carry an umbrella - JUST IN CASE. This does not make me angry to feel I need to look in my rearview window. It makes me feel in control and prudent. But it seems the suggestion that others might want to consider doing the same makes people angry. So I am very confused here!!!!

No one guaranteed me that anything in life would be fair. Yes, it is very unfair that we have bought our homes in areas we thought would always be safe - and are now confronted w/ the possibility that thugs roam ALL our streets. But really - what in life is always fair? So instead of my feeling I am entitled to life being fair . . . I just accept that it is what it is . . . and fair or not - I must do what I must do to be as safe as possible. I am just so baffled as to why this makes some people feel constrained, imprisoned, and angry. Truly - I am surprised.

As to "blaming the victim," I want to adamantly state - I hope no one thinks I am trying to even suggest that this (or any) crime is the victim's FAULT. I would like to suggest, tho, that we all can lower our chances of becoming a victim if we are more vigilant and careful.

I just don't understand why that suggestion makes people angry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte