Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 06:44 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,699,636 times

Advertisements

As an almost CLT resident moving down from Baltimore, I find it surprising that people need to be reminded of such safety tips. This is what we do on a constant basis - and always have.

I can't even imagine leaving my doors open and unlocked and not thinking twice about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 06:52 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
As an almost CLT resident moving down from Baltimore, I find it surprising that people need to be reminded of such safety tips. This is what we do on a constant basis - and always have.

I can't even imagine leaving my doors open and unlocked and not thinking twice about it.
Hi, Tober! I have found it surprising, too . . . but I have figured out that b/c S. CLT has always been considered somewhat "crime proof" or at least . . . less prone to violent crime . . . people have just gotten really lax.

In addition, I have been hearing from a lot of newcomers from NJ, especially, who lived in areas that simply did not have crime . . . the crime just never seeped over into those housing areas . . . crime was something that happened "somewhere else" - so people have been shocked that this is not the same as the bucolic burgs (no sarcasm intended - the areas sound lovely) where they used to live. I honestly think there are newcomers who are freaked out w/ the prospect of crime in the burbs and w/ having to be concerned w/ such things as alarm systems and locked doors.

For me, I am a vigilant person, b/c I have been the victim of crime at an early age and it taught me that crime can happen anywhere, to anyone, and all you can do is think smart and eliminate as many variables as possible that could make you vulnerable. I do NOT live in a bunker, Hee Hee, but I do pay attention to my surroundings (no matter where I am).

Old 06-05-2008, 07:00 PM

15 posts, read 38,526 times
Default Here I am again reading these crime posts and...

getting myself worried all over again. I guess I am a glutten for punishment. I know it is important to be aware of these things and always keep your guard up, so I guess it's good to be informed. Just two nights ago I forgot and left our garage door open all night and didn't realize it until the next morning. We live in a small town in Kentucky and I do try to remember, but a couple times have forgotten. I'm definitely aware now that when we are in Charlotte, never let that happen. Thanks for the post.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:06 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeriDutchFam View Post
getting myself worried all over again. I guess I am a glutten for punishment. I know it is important to be aware of these things and always keep your guard up, so I guess it's good to be informed. Just two nights ago I forgot and left our garage door open all night and didn't realize it until the next morning. We live in a small town in Kentucky and I do try to remember, but a couple times have forgotten. I'm definitely aware now that when we are in Charlotte, never let that happen. Thanks for the post.
Don't feel like you are the only one. DH left ours open a few nites ago. And the door was unlocked from the garage to the interior of the house. He had simply forgotten he had come in through that door and forgotten about the garage door as well. Not a thing happened.

I was so ticked off when I realized what had occurred. Dear Doggie had barked off and on all nite and I kept looking outside but never considered the garage door was open!!!!

But as I said . . . nothing happened. Just DH feeling sheepish when he went out to get the paper and saw the garage door was gaping open!!!!!!

Old 06-05-2008, 07:28 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro2008 View Post
It is a sad day when you have to bolt yourself inside the house during the day and lock your husband out in the backyard when he is gardening so that someone doesn't stop by and rob you. :-(
She wouldn't have had to lock him out necessarily - just close that garage door if he wasn't in the front yard!

Seriously, some people make it SOOOO easy for the criminals. Last Friday morning I had occasion to ride thru Piper Glen about 8:30 or 9:00 in the morning (a poplular time for home breakins around this city) and I could not believe all the idiot homeowners who had their garages wide open with no one in sight!

OOPS, just read Ani's post above, LOL! Sorry to call you guys "idiots"!!!

Old 06-05-2008, 07:32 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,053,845 times
I'm glad the lady's husband was home, I bet the thug was surprised to see the guy there. Did he still end up stealing the jewelry or he was able to run away with it.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:42 PM

431 posts, read 1,668,470 times
really pisses me off...

Old 06-05-2008, 07:50 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,569,611 times
Understand though, that the husband was at home, just out in the yard. I would never lock the doors in that situation or even shut the garage and I still won't, if someone is home. Now granted 9 times out of 10 if I leave via the garage, the front door will be locked but still, I am not going to worry about it. Like the email said, six months into the year this was the only incident like that.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:59 PM

382 posts, read 1,887,817 times
i live in S. Charlotte very very close to Ballantyne. our neighborhood was targeted back in December (remember the guys who would kick the doors down in the middle of the day?) Yeah two of those incidents were on my street! But still ... and i know this just sounds so naive ... people still feel a sense of comfortable community here. those incidents were out of the ordinary, but impossible? definately not. it's just about changing your mindset and forming better habits. a lot of people aren't afraid that they'll be the next ones to be targeted. its not something that you expect (thank god), but its smart to be prepared and not put yourself out there with open garage doors. it only takes one tiny thing like an open garage door to make a criminal think "i've got a chance to get in and get out".

Old 06-05-2008, 08:01 PM

755 posts, read 2,492,760 times
I don't think that blaming the crime victim is ever a good idea. I know it makes people feel better because it makes us feel as though we can prevent being victimized by thugs, but it is a false sense of security.

It wasn't this couple's fault that they were robbed. It was the fault of the criminal that robbed them (who, let's face it, has probably been arrested by CMPD multiple times but keeps getting probation.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte