Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 01:22 PM

450 posts, read 2,320,919 times
This reminds me. A few years ago, someone broke into my sister in law's house during the daytime (in Ocean Isle Beach not Charlotte!) and stole all her jewelry, and even went into the kids rooms and stole her young daughter's jewelry. They had far far less than $150,000 in jewelry, I doubt they had many thousands...they didn't have a security system (they do now!), but also their home was ransacked. The thieves turned the whole house upside down looking for other valuables, every drawer, even the kids' rooms. They think they know who did it but he still walks free, he wasn't caught in the act or selling the stuff afterwards, but they think they know who did it and they think it's a local person who's hooked in drugs who was looking for things to sell for drug money (a nonviolent person just a lowlife thief). BIL is known to have a gun collection and they think maybe that's what the thief was originally after but they're locked down in a heavy safe.

This just goes to show, take aside the fact that you want to have a security system and take reasonable precautions...in today's world you have to wonder about who you know, and who knows you. These same people were building that house just a couple years before this happened and men were caught at night trying to steal their lumber and building supplies. It's not just homes.....when people around here build, they pretty much know not to keep any more building supplies on site than they need for the next couple days. This world is pretty sick. I mean, people steal Christmas decorations for pete's sake, out of people's front yard!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 01:25 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLily7 View Post
The fact the house wasn't ransacked, the thieves went straight for the jewelry says that most likely, the thieves had been there before. Or possibly, I guess, they targetted a neighborhood, picked a random house, and figured that anyone in that area probably had a lot of jewelry.

This doesn't make it the victim's fault. I mean, sure, if you want to make sure valuables are safe you can keep them in a safety deposit box, but most women like to WEAR their jewelry. I guess the best thing to do is to have it in a fireproof safe at home where you can get to it, a large enough safe that can't be carried out.

What kind of world it is, when we can't keep our jewelry in our jewelry armoires in our bedrooms because "someone might" break in a steal it.

I'd need to know more to make judgements though. Does this lady have kids? How old are they? Who are their friends? Has she had any work done on the house lately? Any relatives into drugs or debt? Who has been at the house recently? etc...
Blue, I know what you are saying, but really - why would a person bother to insure jewelry unless he/she had recognized the very real possibility that someone could steal it? And why would you leave things w/ great sentimental value somewhere that a robber could get to it easily? Bad choices. If she had left her keys in her car and someone stole it, would you think she was a victim or just plain careless? You would think she was careless . . . and just think - most vehicles cost considerably under $150,000.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:48 PM

1,453 posts, read 5,147,867 times
Maybe that is a lot of jewelry and maybe some of us think the lady was foolish but the bottom line is...that was HER jewelry and it was HER home and no one had the right to enter her home and take anything. If she had shot the burglars would they then have been the victims? There's no such thing as "Asking for it". It makes no difference if theives stole $150k in jewelry or if they stole someone's grocery money.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:20 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by businessperson View Post
Maybe that is a lot of jewelry and maybe some of us think the lady was foolish but the bottom line is...that was HER jewelry and it was HER home and no one had the right to enter her home and take anything. If she had shot the burglars would they then have been the victims? There's no such thing as "Asking for it". It makes no difference if theives stole $150k in jewelry or if they stole someone's grocery money.
We all agree that the problem here is - criminals who commit crimes. However, why make one's self a target? Maybe I am reading these comments wrong but it seems people are saying - personal responsibility doesn't play into this scenario! Yes, she is a victim . . . but she sure made it easy for someone to victimize her. Maybe no one else sees the importance in that . . . don't make yourself an easy victim.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:23 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
I still think this was burglar on thief crime lol. All I know is if that somebody broke into my house I would be kicking some burglar booty lol. C'mon, what kind of person with THAT kind of valuables in their home leaves this stuff in a drawer?? No security? Story didn't say if the door was locked or not either, I bet it was unlocked. The burglars probably weren't professionals either, they didn't even bring their own sack lol. A person who owns 150 grand in jewelry and doesn't live in Malibu HAS to be some kind of white collar criminal.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:32 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,663,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I still think this individual made some "money" somewhere else, could be drugs, could be ID theft, god knows how...but what are you going to put it into? Jewelry and a big house. There is just NO reason that somebody would own THAT much jewelry for any other reason unless they were Greenwich or Palm Beach rich. If I really did have that much jewelry, no way I would ever leave it in a house like that, you have to be naive to think burglars don't target upscale neighborhoods.
That makes no sense whatsoever. Do you live in Charlotte? Because if you did, you would know that Charlotte is loaded with million +++ dollar homes and that amount of jewelry would be common including the Piper Glenn neighborhood. Do you think all of these Charlotte elite obtained their valuables by "other" means? That's just plain ignorant.

I am on the side of this woman did not deserve this burglary. The thieves obviously have seen the jewelry before or knew of the location, which didn't help matters. But regardless, she didn't invite them any more than a rape victim invites a rapist.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:37 PM

I know there are million dollar plus homes, but is the house that they lived in one of those? When I was saying Malibu or Palm Beach, I was talking about old money versus new money. GENERALLY the type of people that own that type and amount of jewelry are blue bloods, and a lot of people who try to hide some illegally earned "assets" from the IRS put their money into jewelry or something else that won't depreciate. C'mon, 150 grand???? 50 grand sounds more reasonable for a typical "new money" household.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:42 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,663,379 times
Quote:
I know there are million dollar plus homes, but is the house that they lived in one of those?
I haven't been able to see the video on this computer, but Piper Glenn is an upscale neighborhood. But who cares if the house is $400,000 or $4 Million? The lady didn't help her cause by not having her jewely locked up, but there's no reason to flame her for having that much jewelry in her home. It's her home! She could have 1 ton of gold bars or coins in her walls if she wants, it's still her home and nobody has the right to take it.

My biggest complain to your post is your comment about they must have gotten rich on the side and not legitimately. The comment was ignorant.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post

My biggest complain to your post is your comment about they must have gotten rich on the side and not legitimately. The comment was ignorant.
She could have but something just smells really fishy about this case...

Old 04-24-2008, 02:44 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
I know there are million dollar plus homes, but is the house that they lived in one of those? When I was saying Malibu or Palm Beach, I was talking about old money versus new money. GENERALLY the type of people that own that type and amount of jewelry are blue bloods. C'mon, 150 grand????
Many homes in Piper Glen are over 2 million

No, the woman did not "deserve" to have her jewelry stolen, but like Ani said, if she had it insured she understood how valuable the stuff was. The only way anyone should keep such valuable property in their home is with top notch security and safes. You certainly don't go around keeping this stuff in your underwear drawer - that is just foolish. So, while I'm sorry she was vitimized I am sick to death of people who don't do more to take responsibility for their own protection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte