Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 11:56 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,683,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanyali View Post
$150,000 worth of jewelry is suspicious. Who spends that much on jewelry? Who needs that much in jewelry accessible to wear out to dinner on the spur of the moment?
Who are you to say what people need? They may not need it but they desire it and there's nothing wrong with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 12:21 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,644,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Who are you to say what people need? They may not need it but they desire it and there's nothing wrong with that.
Nope, nothing wrong w/ it. But for heaven's sake, don't leave valuable jewelry in a drawer where someone could walk off w/ it. The article said nothing about security systems, locked doors . . . sounds like the assumption was made that just b/c the house was in an upscale neighborhood, the occupants were immune from crime. That is my point. Be it $1500 worth of jewelry or $150,000 . . . take some time to protect your investment.

Insurance can never bring back the sentimental attachment this woman had to her mother's jewelry. Don't make it easy for someone else to rip off your memories! Keep valuables in a safety deposit box, get a security system, lock your doors and pay attention . . .

Old 04-24-2008, 12:31 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,249,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Okay. I am sorry. Anyone who is so ignorant as to leave even $1500 worth of jewelry in their bedroom is just asking for trouble.

What idiot does not leave stuff that valuable in a safety deposit box?
What woman wants to drive to the bank every time she wants to change her ring, necklace, or earrings?

Old 04-24-2008, 12:35 PM

870 posts, read 3,533,764 times
not to make light of it but how many times do you really have to change rings, necklaces or earrings? keep a small amount in the house and the rest in a vault. change out every so often so that most of it is in the vault. keep a couple rings and some necklaces. Some of the photos on the news were elegant pieces which are probably worn once or twice a year. have to think sensible nowadays.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
What woman wants to drive to the bank every time she wants to change her ring, necklace, or earrings?
Roll your eyes if you want. I not only keep my valuable jewelry in the safety deposit box, I have a separate box for the bulk of my sterling silver flatware. So do my sisters. So do my parents.

You are talking to a Southern girl here. My family has already gone thru/ losing their gold, silver and valuable jewelry once (except for the cache of sterling they did not find down by the creek).

So you do whatever you want w/ your stuff. Someone can break in my house and they are not gonna find anything much to haul off.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmdpanc View Post
not to make light of it but how many times do you really have to change rings, necklaces or earrings? keep a small amount in the house and the rest in a vault. change out every so often so that most of it is in the vault. keep a couple rings and some necklaces. Some of the photos on the news were elegant pieces which are probably worn once or twice a year. have to think sensible nowadays.
Thank you for the voice of reason, NJ. I sure have not found this to be a big deal in my life. And when I leave my house, I am not anxious about what I have left behind.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:06 PM

172 posts, read 585,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJPost32 View Post
back in the NE that was definitely normal and much more then that for an average family..but it doesn't matter I agree with the above poster about not blaming the victim...we each can buy and chose what we want out of life...it is just a shame that these people exist to take it away from us!

Yikes! Average? I came from the NE and I don't believe most of my friends or neighbors had that amount of jewelry. I do agree that the sentimental loss would be the worst. And while I feel safe where I am, I will put the jewelry my mother left me in a safe deposit box because of its sentimental value. Really it's not like I take it out and look at it everyday anyway and very rarely wear it. There are a few item I tend to wear on a regular basis.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:10 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,961,246 times
I still think this individual made some "money" somewhere else, could be drugs, could be ID theft, god knows how...but what are you going to put it into? Jewelry and a big house. There is just NO reason that somebody would own THAT much jewelry for any other reason unless they were Greenwich or Palm Beach rich. If I really did have that much jewelry, no way I would ever leave it in a house like that, you have to be naive to think burglars don't target upscale neighborhoods.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:13 PM

450 posts, read 2,325,906 times
The fact the house wasn't ransacked, the thieves went straight for the jewelry says that most likely, the thieves had been there before. Or possibly, I guess, they targetted a neighborhood, picked a random house, and figured that anyone in that area probably had a lot of jewelry.

This doesn't make it the victim's fault. I mean, sure, if you want to make sure valuables are safe you can keep them in a safety deposit box, but most women like to WEAR their jewelry. I guess the best thing to do is to have it in a fireproof safe at home where you can get to it, a large enough safe that can't be carried out.

What kind of world it is, when we can't keep our jewelry in our jewelry armoires in our bedrooms because "someone might" break in a steal it.

I'd need to know more to make judgements though. Does this lady have kids? How old are they? Who are their friends? Has she had any work done on the house lately? Any relatives into drugs or debt? Who has been at the house recently? etc...

Old 04-24-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflake View Post
Yikes! Average? I came from the NE and I don't believe most of my friends or neighbors had that amount of jewelry. I do agree that the sentimental loss would be the worst. And while I feel safe where I am, I will put the jewelry my mother left me in a safe deposit box because of its sentimental value. Really it's not like I take it out and look at it everyday anyway and very rarely wear it. There are a few item I tend to wear on a regular basis.
Thank you so much for posting!!! I was feeling like some kind of weirdo for doing what my family and friends have been doing forever . . . we just don't take chances. I personally don't want to have to worry about my jewelry. Insurance simply cannot replace sentimental pieces that have memories attached to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte