Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 09:31 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,588,841 times

Advertisements

Charlotte city council meeting tonight had several dozen protesters angry about the recent ICE arrests in Charlotte.

If you are here legally (an immigrant) why are you worried?

If you are here illegally then you should be worried and should work to become legal. Whatever it takes.

Everyone should have to follow the laws of the land.

Old 02-26-2019, 05:04 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,566,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Charlotte city council meeting tonight had several dozen protesters angry about the recent ICE arrests in Charlotte.

If you are here illegally then you should be worried and should work to become legal. Whatever it takes.

I agree wholeheartedly. My youngest son's girlfriend is a legal immigrant from Guatemala and it infuriates her and her family that others try to circumvent our laws to come here.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:24 AM

607 posts, read 559,868 times
I'd like to see a policy where the illegal immigrants that are deported are finger printed and permanently banned from the country with no path to citizenship/visa ever.

If you think the rules don't apply to you, stay out.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:33 AM
NDL

4,521 posts, read 5,684,090 times
Quote:

Given the topic of your thread, this might interest you:

Undocumented immigrants could possibly serve on Charlotte boards after City Council amended residency requirements

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/ne...#storylink=cpy

???

Old 02-26-2019, 08:56 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,523,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Given the topic of your thread, this might interest you:

Undocumented immigrants could possibly serve on Charlotte boards after City Council amended residency requirements

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/ne...#storylink=cpy

???
No words. Seriously, none. The far left have lost their minds.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:20 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,419,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
No words. Seriously, none. The far left have lost their minds.
True. But so has the far right. Thus the mess we're in right now, politically, in this country.

Last edited by BC1960; 02-26-2019 at 09:44 AM..

Old 02-26-2019, 09:45 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,588,841 times
I have to admit I was shocked at the clips from the city council meeting. Protesters were yelling at the mayor that these arrests need to stop and that 'immigrants' are living in fear.

Obviously they mean 'ILLEGAL immigrants' are living in fear. NOT 'immigrants'.

“We deserve for you all to give us the protection that we need,” a mother said. REALLY? If you are here illegally you do not deserve protection from our laws.

I am really trying to understand how illegal immigrants can threaten our city and mayor and get away with it.

Thankfully, ICE appears to be doing a great job.

Old 02-26-2019, 10:02 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,523,744 times
Quote:
I have to admit I was shocked at the clips from the city council meeting. Protesters were yelling at the mayor that these arrests need to stop and that 'immigrants' are living in fear.

Obviously they mean 'ILLEGAL immigrants' are living in fear. NOT 'immigrants'.

“We deserve for you all to give us the protection that we need,” a mother said. REALLY? If you are here illegally you do not deserve protection from our laws.

I am really trying to understand how illegal immigrants can threaten our city and mayor and get away with it.

Thankfully, ICE appears to be doing a great job.
They are getting brazen now that one political party and certain states/mayors have promised their protection. I just can't...I mean seriously....I don't agree with our current president in how he talks about the problem but holy Jesus where did all the reasonable people go?

All the legal immigrants I know (including my wife's family and all their friends) can't stand illegals.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:05 PM

334 posts, read 310,094 times
It appeared that the mayor is going to go the way of the protesters and stab ICE in the back. ICE should be available at all protests ready to arrest illegals. My best friends are Cuban. They support the president and are adamantly against illegals breaking the line to bypass those that have applied for immigration and have waited for years. Most people at these protests haven't lived abroad or understand how not vetting immigrants leads to terrorism, poverty, and all bad things with society. I'm not even sure if they know the issues experienced in France, the U.K. Germany, Sweden, Italy, Spain, Greece, Holland, and other countries. The Mediterranean states wish they had a great wall to stop boat people and the illegals that they bring to their shores. A large percentage are street criminals mostly and at best, sell stolen watches from underneath their shirt sleeves. I have experienced it. They do not wish to blend and be part of their new environments, just reap any benefits or unsavory opportunities. I am in these countries annually for extended periods sometimes. We should praise ICE just as we do our military. They are there to keep us legal, hard working, law abiding, compassionate, people safe. My dad is an immigrant as was his siblings and parents. They understand that illegals are often here to make a better life for their families and that is understood, yet they need to do like other legals and get processed to ensure they will be an asset and not detriment. It is really simple. This situation is getting out of hand and eventually, a sleeping giant will once again awaken and it won't be pretty Americans need to get smart and see reality.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:58 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,153,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
where did all the reasonable people go?

And where did the people who understand our system of government go? Why yell at a the mayor? She holds a part-time ceremonial position that has no actual power beyond setting the agenda for city council meetings. Even if she did have power in local politics, local officials can't nullify federal statutes or obstruct the federal government from enforcing them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte