Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 05:13 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,646,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
I absolutely get what you are saying and I agree that Charlotte is changing. Everyone wants to move here because it is safe, affordable, beautiful, etc. but then they vote for changes that are making Charlotte more like where they came from. Sadly, the Charlotte I knew and loved is changing. At least I am old and won't have to fully see these changes!

I don't know anyone (that has admitted to me) that they want illegal immigrants here. Seems to me like it is a very small number of people supporting illegal immigration however they have very loud voices.

Again, I am all for immigration - as long as it is done LEGALLY!
You'll get no argument from me

Old 02-28-2019, 10:28 AM

334 posts, read 307,685 times
Quote:
I absolutely get what you are saying and I agree that Charlotte is changing. Everyone wants to move here because it is safe, affordable, beautiful, etc. but then they vote for changes that are making Charlotte more like where they came from. Sadly, the Charlotte I knew and loved is changing. At least I am old and won't have to fully see these changes!

I don't know anyone (that has admitted to me) that they want illegal immigrants here. Seems to me like it is a very small number of people supporting illegal immigration however they have very loud voices.

Again, I am all for immigration - as long as it is done LEGALLY!
I agree with you totally. The problem is that these same people that move here for a better life live in a dream. They don't understand that they need to assimilate with others (many locals) that want a safe, friendly, and respectful place and leave their old stereotypes back home. Some bring their stereotypes with them and refuse to vote for the people that created their Utopian dream. I go to lunches and other functions with from other places, i.e. Chicago and they have this thing against the south. They tend to not vote for people with southern accents or have any sort of religious background, etc. They can't see beyond these characteristics that they have probably inherited. Seriously, we really get some ignorant people coming in that think they are superior and refuse to call Charlotte home. They just want the better life it offers. Sad.

Old 02-28-2019, 11:41 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,595,863 times
Quote:
I absolutely get what you are saying and I agree that Charlotte is changing. Everyone wants to move here because it is safe, affordable, beautiful, etc. but then they vote for changes that are making Charlotte more like where they came from.
This goes for all(well, not all, but most) of the folks moving from the democratic north trying to change our Charlotte to be more like where they came from, just stay there or go back!

illegal immigrants should be scared when they see law enforcement.

All laws on the books should be enforced, there should be no exemptions.

Old 03-01-2019, 04:02 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,038,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
This goes for all(well, not all, but most) of the folks moving from the democratic north trying to change our Charlotte to be more like where they came from, just stay there or go back!

illegal immigrants should be scared when they see law enforcement.

All laws on the books should be enforced, there should be no exemptions.
AGREED!
That is why they call them LAWS. If they are not serving their purpose they should be changed and the politicians changing them shall be held accountable for such legislation by the electorate.
They way it is now, some politicians have the best of both worlds. They can tell their constituents they voted for the law. They can also do nothing when it comes to enforcement and therefore keep the vocal minority satisfied.

Old 03-01-2019, 08:10 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,417,250 times
I agree. Question is just who decided that Charlotte is sanctuary city?Our so called new sheriff enforced it by not detaining illegals . I am happy he doesn't have any authority over the federal police (INS)

Old 03-02-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
I agree. Question is just who decided that Charlotte is sanctuary city?Our so called new sheriff enforced it by not detaining illegals . I am happy he doesn't have any authority over the federal police (INS)
Amen! Those that want a sanctuary city are those that will be able to hide withing the sanctuary, are anti law and order, have a connection with criminal activity (think New Orleans police Dept.in the part) or simply anti-social. I question any law enforcement officer that supports criminals by protecting them. That indicates a very poor selection of someone that is supposed to be concerned with the safety of citizens.

Old 03-02-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
And where did the people who understand our system of government go? Why yell at a the mayor? She holds a part-time ceremonial position that has no actual power beyond setting the agenda for city council meetings. Even if she did have power in local politics, local officials can't nullify federal statutes or obstruct the federal government from enforcing them.
People yell at the mayor because despite her lack of power, she is a person of influence. A city or state can not a federal statute. Refer to Article VI of the Constitution under the "Supreme Clause." I understand that obstruction as it is destroying the whole country at this point.

Old 03-03-2019, 08:34 AM

197 posts, read 232,222 times
Just my opinion, I moved to the Charlotte area from the north,NJ, for lower taxes, better weather, and the people which my wife and I found very friendly and open. I had always assumed that the South would defend our way of life much more than the liberal north we came from. As stated before, Illegals are by definition, Illegal. They should have no say in how, when or why our laws are enforced. Also as many here, my Grandfather immigrated from Ireland in the 1920's, became a citizen and followed the laws of his adopted country and was happy to do it. I am guessing he would be appalled to see the clamor of people wanting to bar I.C.E. from doing their jobs and actually protesting to allow Illegals to remain here. I must admit I am surprised to see it happen here. I absolutely have no wish to bring the liberal attitude of the North here. In NJ, the Governer there wants to allow free college and health care to Illegals. We don't do that for legal citizens. That's incredible to me and exactly the kind of thinking we moved away from. To me, it seems very simple. Follow the laws as many thousands have followed on a path to citizenship. Assimilate into our society, be productive, at least be able to support yourself and your family, and live in a free country.

Old 03-03-2019, 01:21 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,567,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipdsharkey View Post
Just my opinion, I moved to the Charlotte area from the north,NJ, for lower taxes, better weather, and the people which my wife and I found very friendly and open. I had always assumed that the South would defend our way of life much more than the liberal north we came from. As stated before, Illegals are by definition, Illegal. They should have no say in how, when or why our laws are enforced. Also as many here, my Grandfather immigrated from Ireland in the 1920's, became a citizen and followed the laws of his adopted country and was happy to do it. I am guessing he would be appalled to see the clamor of people wanting to bar I.C.E. from doing their jobs and actually protesting to allow Illegals to remain here. I must admit I am surprised to see it happen here. I absolutely have no wish to bring the liberal attitude of the North here. In NJ, the Governer there wants to allow free college and health care to Illegals. We don't do that for legal citizens. That's incredible to me and exactly the kind of thinking we moved away from. To me, it seems very simple. Follow the laws as many thousands have followed on a path to citizenship. Assimilate into our society, be productive, at least be able to support yourself and your family, and live in a free country.
Beautifully said! I agree.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:11 AM

107 posts, read 112,163 times
This past summer I was driving past the DHS building between S. Tryon and Tyvola and saw a handful of hippies sitting out front on the roadside with their "Abolish ICE" signs. Trash was piled up around them and even strewn into the street. I was kind of surprised that half a dozen people could generate that much garbage in a week's time.

Most of this stuff is just politics anyway. These people live in a bubble that separates them from regular people. It seem like they would've learned something from the 2016 election but who knows, and it's hard to tell if they are just being stubborn or if they're actually just that dumb.

And you know what? I could care less if they "abolished" DHS altogether. I have more of a beef with TSA than ICE anyway. But they wouldn't do that, they only want to keep a handful of rabble rousers on Twitter happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte