Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 11:20 AM

334 posts, read 307,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipdsharkey View Post
Just my opinion, I moved to the Charlotte area from the north,NJ, for lower taxes, better weather, and the people which my wife and I found very friendly and open. I had always assumed that the South would defend our way of life much more than the liberal north we came from. As stated before, Illegals are by definition, Illegal. They should have no say in how, when or why our laws are enforced. Also as many here, my Grandfather immigrated from Ireland in the 1920's, became a citizen and followed the laws of his adopted country and was happy to do it. I am guessing he would be appalled to see the clamor of people wanting to bar I.C.E. from doing their jobs and actually protesting to allow Illegals to remain here. I must admit I am surprised to see it happen here. I absolutely have no wish to bring the liberal attitude of the North here. In NJ, the Governer there wants to allow free college and health care to Illegals. We don't do that for legal citizens. That's incredible to me and exactly the kind of thinking we moved away from. To me, it seems very simple. Follow the laws as many thousands have followed on a path to citizenship. Assimilate into our society, be productive, at least be able to support yourself and your family, and live in a free country.
We, with the old local mentalities of obeying the law and supporting our families are still around in great numbers. The press has all but eliminated our existence thru fake news and generally poor reporting which is status quo of the Charlotte Disturber. I believe we are a sleeping giant that hasn't yet woken up and as they say, the pendulum will soon turn. Don't be disillusioned, people like us are here despite tens of thousands that have come her with their extreme liberalism. Of course, it doesn't help that our universities are extremely left leaning these days. Most of my friends are immigrants as I have mentioned before. They all are conservative and are highly annoyed that after their long wait, the lefties want to allow them in bypassing others that have followed the legal route. What is the use for anyone to do anything legal if laws are meaningless. Society is becoming pathetic. Time for the draft or a revolution. Just my humble opinion. I can't believe the dopey Chief of Police that is now in office. He wants Charlotte to become a sanctuary city and eliminate ICE.

Old 03-05-2019, 12:25 PM

197 posts, read 232,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewkranian View Post
We, with the old local mentalities of obeying the law and supporting our families are still around in great numbers. The press has all but eliminated our existence thru fake news and generally poor reporting which is status quo of the Charlotte Disturber. I believe we are a sleeping giant that hasn't yet woken up and as they say, the pendulum will soon turn. Don't be disillusioned, people like us are here despite tens of thousands that have come her with their extreme liberalism. Of course, it doesn't help that our universities are extremely left leaning these days. Most of my friends are immigrants as I have mentioned before. They all are conservative and are highly annoyed that after their long wait, the lefties want to allow them in bypassing others that have followed the legal route. What is the use for anyone to do anything legal if laws are meaningless. Society is becoming pathetic. Time for the draft or a revolution. Just my humble opinion. I can't believe the dopey Chief of Police that is now in office. He wants Charlotte to become a sanctuary city and eliminate ICE.
Good to hear. I was thinking maybe I was in the minority. My wife calls me a Dinosaur for a lot of reasons, my politics being one of them. As far as the Police Chief, I would agree with you. I am a retired Police Lieutenant, and the town I worked in had a close relationship with I.C.E. since we had a lot of migrant workers coming through our town. Some of them would commit crimes and we could hold them if found to be Illegal and I.C.E. would come pick them up thus eliminating a nuisance person and making our town a bit safer. I can't imagine not using other Law Enforcement agency's where appropriate simply because Municipal Police can't enforce federal laws. We are supposed to work together. Sadly since I left NJ, the new Governor has decided to make NJ a sancturary state, and further wants to give Illegals Medical benefits and paid college. You should hear the howls of the people I left behind. I am guessing when Charlottes Police Chief looks for federal grant money , it might not be available to him, which in turn will effect how well his Department can serve its residents. As said before, why have laws only to make it easy for certain groups to ignore or by pass them when so many others of the same group are willing to put forth the effort to be here legally. We are all lost if it gets to the point people can pick and choose which laws to obey and which to ignore. That giant better wake up pretty soon.

Old 03-06-2019, 10:18 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,494,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Hey - if the City isn't enforcing some laws, does that pertain to just this set of laws, or does it pertain to all laws?

I mean...heck...why pay traffic citations?

Why pay property taxes?

Why obey the speed limit?

If it's the City's policy to ignore certain laws, it might as well apply to all laws and statutes.
Exactly. It’d be pretty nice to just choose to ignore certain laws and demonize the agency who dares to try to enforce them. Maybe we should protest at City Hall over taxes and demand to abolish the IRS for trying to collect them.

It’s really sickening to see all over the media how the actual enforcement of immigration laws is demonized as being something wrong. I rarely even see major news outlets call it ILLEGAL immigration anymore. The foto terms seem to be “migrant” or “undocumented”. Or in this case they just refer to them as immigrants in attempt to lump them in with actual legal immigrants and garner an emotional response from the gullible and misinformed.

Old 03-06-2019, 12:18 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,646,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
Exactly. It’d be pretty nice to just choose to ignore certain laws and demonize the agency who dares to try to enforce them. Maybe we should protest at City Hall over taxes and demand to abolish the IRS for trying to collect them.

It’s really sickening to see all over the media how the actual enforcement of immigration laws is demonized as being something wrong. I rarely even see major news outlets call it ILLEGAL immigration anymore. The foto terms seem to be “migrant” or “undocumented”. Or in this case they just refer to them as immigrants in attempt to lump them in with actual legal immigrants and garner an emotional response from the gullible and misinformed.
The whole thing is beyond asinine.

The loudest voices that speak against a secure border, are some of the same people who taut the importance of "locking their vehicles," and "securing their valuables."

I understand the compassion shown to people here illegally: it's a lousy situation; the way the system is set up, it makes establishing oneself very difficult, and I am not without empathy towards the plight of undocumented immigrants.

Sadly, however, along with the good and decent people who come here for a better life, are hardened criminals who seek to prey upon my fellow citizens - a natural consequence of having an unsecured border.

And for the City to blowback on those who seek to enforce the law??? What kind of precedent is the City of Charlotte setting???

Old 03-07-2019, 03:59 PM

334 posts, read 307,685 times
It amazes me that ignoring and not supporting ICE is a thing when our local courts are letting thugs with numerous felonious arrests out on bond like the guy that was recently released after assaulting and beating a woman that robbed and beat two more this week. The showed a young guy on T.V. this evening with at least 12 felony charges that if free. What stupid leadership we must have at the helm. It seems to me that the CMPD would accept any help offered to do the job that they aren't doing, i.e., arresting and jailing dangerous habitual criminals. At least ICE will earn their pay checks. Most of our leaders (city council, chief of police, courts and judges) seem to be a perfect exhibition of the Peter Principle.

Old 03-07-2019, 07:07 PM
NDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewkranian View Post
It amazes me that ignoring and not supporting ICE is a thing when our local courts are letting thugs with numerous felonious arrests out on bond like the guy that was recently released after assaulting and beating a woman that robbed and beat two more this week. The showed a young guy on T.V. this evening with at least 12 felony charges that if free. What stupid leadership we must have at the helm. It seems to me that the CMPD would accept any help offered to do the job that they aren't doing, i.e., arresting and jailing dangerous habitual criminals. At least ICE will earn their pay checks. Most of our leaders (city council, chief of police, courts and judges) seem to be a perfect exhibition of the Peter Principle.
Excellent point

Old 03-07-2019, 07:45 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,567,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post

Absolutely.

And when did the media decide it was appropriate to call ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS 'Immigrants'?

Old 03-08-2019, 12:52 PM

107 posts, read 112,163 times
It's politics.

Old 03-08-2019, 04:01 PM
NDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Absolutely.

And when did the media decide it was appropriate to call ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS 'Immigrants'?
Out of all of the things that the City has done, this one takes the cake.

Do you realize that an individual can enter into the United States illegally, flaunt the law, and the City of Charlotte says:

"Not only will you not be prosecuted, but we will give you a voice"

Meanwhile, if I were to lurk around a 7/11 for an extended period of time, CMPD could get ticket me for loitering.

"It's all a matter of what is, is."

Old 03-09-2019, 01:29 PM

449 posts, read 495,037 times
As a resident of Charlotte, I totally support ICE arresting and deporting illegals. There should be mandatory E-verify system in place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte