Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 08:43 AM

2,780 posts, read 5,174,893 times

Advertisements

Since Benson (new owner of New Orleans Hornets) is looking to change his team name, given the Charlotte history, would you welcome the Bobcats name change to Hornets?

Quote:
According to The Times-Picayune, Benson said he will seek to change the name of the Hornets to better fit New Orleans.

"We need to find a name like (Jazz)," Benson said, according to the newspaper. "Whether we can get that or let us use that, you've got to know we're working on it. We'd like to change it tomorrow. We have not gotten that approved, but we're not letting up on it, either. Because we've got a good relationship with the commissioner and his people and we're going to be on them daily to do something."
New Orleans Saints owner Tom Benson agrees to buy New Orleans Hornets - ESPN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 09:26 AM

1,055 posts, read 2,129,825 times
Even though the re-branding would be a HUGE expense, I say YES YES YES! I was one of those original Hornet fans and believe that the name change would be a huge boost (psychologically at least) to this failing sport. I've still got a couple of my old Hornet caps. I say GO FOR IT!!

Old 04-15-2012, 09:32 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,499,344 times
I agree Jordan should change the Bobcats to the Hornets as well.

It could go a long way towards giving this team a new look for the new era once we draft Anthony Davis (hopefully) this year. Maybe it will reset some people's negative attitude towards the team.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:49 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,667,565 times
Just win.... that will change everything.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:54 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,255,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Just win.... that will change everything.
Hornets would be icing on the cake...

Old 04-15-2012, 09:59 AM

28 posts, read 57,818 times
Only if they bring back Anthony Mason! Ex New Jersey guy here and a Knicks fan of course. Used to love the wars between the Hornets and Knicks. Basketball should be a contact sport. Right now Bobcats may be the worst team I've ever seen, and I've seen some pretty bad Knicks and Nets teams in my day.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:49 AM

77 posts, read 137,498 times
I am all for the name change! I think it would be great for the city and the team.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:20 AM

1,117 posts, read 2,810,545 times
But they wouldn't be the Hornets - they'd just be called the Hornets. A prime example of how superficial American pro sports (and fans) are these days.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:51 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,050,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megax View Post
But they wouldn't be the Hornets - they'd just be called the Hornets. A prime example of how superficial American pro sports (and fans) are these days.
Wow debbie downer....

Old 04-15-2012, 02:10 PM

181 posts, read 353,942 times
Getting rid of that awful name and replacing it with Hornets is a no brainer. The "Charlotte Hornets" hat right now sells more than the bobcats and NO hornets combined. No, it will not make the team better, but the team is more marketable. How can you market a team named after an arrogant owner? Merchandise sales help small market teams like CLT and nobody wears that corny bobcat crap. The Hornet name belongs here. New Orleans could easily come up with 4-5 names that sound good/make sense. If NO changes names, Jordan can't drop the ball on this one.

It might just be me, but I can't get over the name of this team. I probably never will. Constant reminder of the owner. There are plenty of awful owners in sports, but at least you aren't reminded of them at every reference to the team.

And as far as the cost to rebrand the team...2.5 million some say? drop in the bucket. They waste more money on awful players.

Corey magette will make 5m for the games he missed this year.
Gana Diop will make 6.9 m and has played in 23 games
Najera has played in 22 games and will make 2.6m
Diaws sorry behind makes 9m this year and they paid him to go away..

HoopsHype - NBA Salaries - Charlotte Bobcats

Last edited by NC72; 04-15-2012 at 02:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte