Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 09:54 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
All this talk about changing names is just a red herring for the real problem which
h is the continued lousy ownership decisions made by this franchise. When the team started to win when they had jackson and wallace, attendance was up. That's the bottom line. It might make some feel good talking about this, but the franchise has much bigger problems.
true... but like someone said, it's icing on the cake if they get the number one pick and the name is available.

As far as those who say the name change will make it their team again.... that's a joke. Look at the Baltimore Ravens... I'm sure the name was bashed initially but winning makes you forget about things like that.

If the name was changed tomorrow how many natives would pack the stadium for the next home game?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 09:58 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times
I can't imagine the natives (the few left) would be jumping at the chance to buy tickets to see the NBA again, no matter the name. Would the name change help? Maybe a little bit. The team needs to win more to get fans there. And I can imagine there would be some upset fans if the name does change. How many $100 jerseys have been sold? That's like an investment to a fan.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:59 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,579 times
Give it a rest. Geesh

Winning changes everything. People would complain about the Hornets if the team won 7 games all season too

Old 04-16-2012, 10:00 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,579 times
Quote:
All this talk about changing names is just a red herring for the real problem which
h is the continued lousy ownership decisions made by this franchise. When the team started to win when they had jackson and wallace, attendance was up. That's the bottom line. It might make some feel good talking about this, but the franchise has much bigger problems.
Thank you!!!

Old 04-16-2012, 10:10 AM

but it would cause excitement if they get the number 1 pick and get to change the name....

I agree on the red herring though... if we had Blake Griffen getting alley oops from Chris Paul with Lebron on the wing and were 50-7 you could call them the doo doo birds and no one would talk about a name change.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:12 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
true... but like someone said, it's icing on the cake if they get the number one pick and the name is available.

As far as those who say the name change will make it their team again.... that's a joke. Look at the Baltimore Ravens... I'm sure the name was bashed initially but winning makes you forget about things like that.

If the name was changed tomorrow how many natives would pack the stadium for the next home game?
I was working in Owings Mills when the Colts snuck away from Baltimore in the middle of the night.

The name Ravens comes from Edgar Allen Poe. There are Poe houses in Richmond, Baltimore, & Philadelphia. Philadelphia claimed their history by using the name 76ers. Baltimore claimed some of theirs by using the Ravens. Charlotte's history was staked out with the name Hornets. Right now there's a team in New Orleans using their history.

I get it. How do you think it would go over if the Steelers took off & took the name with them? Winning is part of it, & will bring out transplants. I live amongst the natives. The name change would matter.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:35 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
but it would cause excitement if they get the number 1 pick and get to change the name....

I agree on the red herring though... if we had Blake Griffen getting alley oops from Chris Paul with Lebron on the wing and were 50-7 you could call them the doo doo birds and no one would talk about a name change.
It would only cause excitement if Anthony Davis panned out and gave the team hope (kind of like Cam Newton is doing w/the Panthers)

I'm not 100% sold on being a lock coming out of college so time will tell....

Old 04-16-2012, 10:41 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I was working in Owings Mills when the Colts snuck away from Baltimore in the middle of the night.

The name Ravens comes from Edgar Allen Poe. There are Poe houses in Richmond, Baltimore, & Philadelphia. Philadelphia claimed their history by using the name 76ers. Baltimore claimed some of theirs by using the Ravens. Charlotte's history was staked out with the name Hornets. Right now there's a team in New Orleans using their history.

I get it. How do you think it would go over if the Steelers took off & took the name with them? Winning is part of it, & will bring out transplants. I live amongst the natives. The name change would matter.
SB, couple things....

Utah (Jazz) used New Orleans' name a long time ago...I'm sure it PO'ed a couple people but the bottom line was the Jazz had many winning seasons w/Karl Malone and John Stockton for many years...attendance was great.

No argument intended, but comparing the long tradition and success of the Steelers is a little different than Shinn moving the Hornets out of town...not really an apples to apples comparison.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:50 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
SB, couple things....

Utah (Jazz) used New Orleans' name a long time ago...I'm sure it PO'ed a couple people but the bottom line was the Jazz had many winning seasons w/Karl Malone and John Stockton for many years...attendance was great.

No argument intended, but comparing the long tradition and success of the Steelers is a little different than Shinn moving the Hornets out of town...not really an apples to apples comparison.
Jack, I know that you are not arguing. I tossed in the Steelers because the poster arguing about the name is a native of Pittsburgh, & tossed out the Ravens name as an arguement, apparently oblivious that that is some of Baltimore's history. Ravens sure has a better ring to it than the 1812s

Under the circumstances, I thought that it was reasonably appropriate.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Jack, I know that you are not arguing. I tossed in the Steelers because the poster arguing about the name is a native of Pittsburgh, & tossed out the Ravens name as an arguement, apparently oblivious that that is some of Baltimore's history. Ravens sure has a better ring to it than the 1812s

Under the circumstances, I thought that it was reasonably appropriate.
I'm aware of Poe and the link but that wasn't MY point. It's still not the original name of the team.... if they stunk like the Bobcats I'm pretty sure no one in Bmore would still feel proud because the name has history with the city.

do you really think natives will have a change of heart if they renamed the team something that links to the cities history and they still stink up the place?

Win games... that is the bottom line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte