Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 11:17 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I'm aware of Poe and the link but that wasn't MY point. It's still not the original name of the team.... if they stunk like the Bobcats I'm pretty sure no one in Bmore would still feel proud because the name has history with the city.

do you really think natives will have a change of heart if they renamed the team something that links to the cities history and they still stink up the place?

Win games... that is the bottom line.
The Phillies & the Cubs. . .need I say more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 01:01 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
The Phillies & the Cubs. . .need I say more?
The Hornets were in Charlotte for about 15 years. Are you really trying to put the Hornets on the same level as teams with over 100 years of history?

LA Lakers
Utah Jazz
Indianapolis Colts
St. Louis Rams
Arizona Cardinals

It's not like these teams have names that scream out their cities history. They all went to a championship as well... if the Bobcats go to a championship I'm pretty sure no one will care about the name.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
The Hornets were in Charlotte for about 15 years. Are you really trying to put the Hornets on the same level as teams with over 100 years of history?

LA Lakers
Utah Jazz
Indianapolis Colts
St. Louis Rams
Arizona Cardinals

It's not like these teams have names that scream out their cities history. They all went to a championship as well... if the Bobcats go to a championship I'm pretty sure no one will care about the name.
Overall, the Phillies have a history of losing & no one can top the Cubs for losing, yet they have die-hard fans. I thought that you could figure that out.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:28 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Gotta agree with Felt here. The name the Ravens has nothing to do with the entire city of Baltimore loving that team, more because they're consistently one of the best teams in the AFC.

The Phillies, despite being over 100 years old, had pretty crappy attendance in the late 90's and early 2000's before CBP was built and they started winning shortly thereafter.

A name change for the Hornets couldn't hurt, but winning is what would really help them. Maybe they need to change sports too. The NBA kinda sucks.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:17 PM

181 posts, read 353,446 times
THE NAME SUCKS PERIOD. BOB(johnson)cats. Its corny, elementary sounding,arena league football name, and sells zero merchandise. It is a reminder every single time they say the name of the arrogant person that paid for the team. He is gone but his "legacy" is plastered all over the team. It's tainted. He was short sighted enough to name the team after himself. How many other pro sports franchises are named after an owner?? none. The NBA couldn't wait to have a minority owner, and that included that awful albatross of a name to happen. In all honesty they could rename themselves something else but Bob needs to go. Sports radio today has been all over the subject.

This isn't a thread about who they need to draft,etc. It's about a name change.

There is a hornets nest on our city flag, on police cars....our police badges are a hornets nest! The name has history here.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:18 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc72 View Post
the name sucks period. Bob(johnson)cats. Its corny, elementary sounding,arena league football name, and sells zero merchandise. It is a reminder every single time they say the name of the arrogant person that paid for the team. He is gone but his "legacy" is plastered all over the team. It's tainted. He was short sighted enough to name the team after himself. How many other pro sports franchises are named after an owner?? None. The nba couldn't wait to have a minority owner, and that included that awful albatross of a name to happen. In all honesty they could rename themselves something else but bob needs to go. Sports radio today has been all over the subject.

There is a hornets nest on our city flag, on police cars....our police badges are a hornets nest! The name has history here.
+1

Old 04-16-2012, 04:22 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Overall, the Phillies have a history of losing & no one can top the Cubs for losing, yet they have die-hard fans. I thought that you could figure that out.
Dude.... tthese teams were founded in the 1800's. Its much easier to have die hard fans when you have 100+ years of history.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:46 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC72 View Post

To further explain the hornets nest here history

The nickname derives from the American Revolutionary War, when British commander General Cornwallis occupied the city but was driven out by hostile residents, prompting him to write that Charlotte was "a hornet's nest of rebellion," leading to the nickname The Hornet's Nest.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Gotta agree with Felt here. The name the Ravens has nothing to do with the entire city of Baltimore loving that team, more because they're consistently one of the best teams in the AFC.

The Phillies, despite being over 100 years old, had pretty crappy attendance in the late 90's and early 2000's before CBP was built and they started winning shortly thereafter.

A name change for the Hornets couldn't hurt, but winning is what would really help them. Maybe they need to change sports too. The NBA kinda sucks.
The Phils stunk up Connie Mac stadium, but it was packed, in spite of being in a dangerous locaton & decrepid. Rizzo had the Vet built to house the Eagles & the Phils. He named it Veteran's Stadium. People hated the stadium & the name. It wasn't built well & when it started showing wear, people stayed home & watched the game because they had always hated the place & the name. No one called it Veteran's Stadium. It was always the Vet, because people didn't like the name..

Names have an effect on the public.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Dude.... tthese teams were founded in the 1800's. Its much easier to have die hard fans when you have 100+ years of history.
How many times do you have to be told that I'm a female?

You obviously do not understand what I'm saying & what the natives are saying. Winning would help, but the name is like fingernails on a chalkboard to the natives. Think whatever you want. My initial post was to someone else. I've tried 6 ways from Sunday to explain myself to you, & you just keep trying to argue. I'm not trying to change your mind. I'm simply stating my opinion, which the TOS says that we are both allowed to have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte