Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2012, 01:19 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,538,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goindownsouth2011 View Post
^^^Exactly. Not to mention, what is in the shareholders best short term interests, is not the same as what is in the shareholders best long term interests.
Most of the "shareholders" only care about themselves but also have that "hurray for today, to hell with tomorrow" attitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 01:27 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,673,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
A public/private company does not have to have an allegiance to a nation or it's people.
Does this give a corporation free reign to work against the best interests of the Nation?

Can an American corporation sell certain technology to countries the U.S. deems "unfriendly"?

Can an American corporation operate recklessly, to the extent that it endangers the lives of others? In other words, does the interest of maximizing profit permit dry cleaners to dump thousands of toxic chemicals into the ground? Do medical labs have the right to maximize their profits by dumping medical waste into the river?

Ridiculous examples, you say?

Does not unbridled capitalism treat its victims the same way? For example, parts of Detroit are in a reforesting effort, to clear away, and repopulate, once inhabited parts of the city, with trees, shrubs, etc. The city of Detroit can't afford to police, light, and maintain roads, in huge swaths of abandoned land - in what once were thriving neighborhoods. All due to a lack of industry.

I am a puleoconservative; a free market capitalist. But what we see today, is capitalism run amok.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:33 PM

15,357 posts, read 12,677,035 times
MY brother works for a manufacturer in upper management. We had a discussion about Walmart and all the mom and pop shops that close when one opens up. He is one of those.. competition is good, you have to adapt, the best man wins...

2 years later his company shut down his plant and he was moved to another position.. but he felt bad because all of his workers were out of a job and the chances of getting another job in that field with that pay was slim to none.

It's all good until it hits you directly. I'm not preaching protectionism but these companies need to realize that unless they plan on selling all their products overseas they better put some of our own back to work.

What good is a service or product if it doesn't sell because Americans are broke?

Housing is one area where this is happening... Lowes can't make sales projections if they keep outsourcing... who can buy a house or afford to work on it if they don't have a job?

Old 02-15-2012, 01:41 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,673,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
It's all good until it hits you directly. I'm not preaching protectionism but these companies need to realize that unless they plan on selling all their products overseas they better put some of our own back to work.
Excellent points raised.

And what happens to someone when they built a career with a specific trade, are laid off, and has to take a job (or two) for significantly less?

Who honors all of their fiduciary obligations when they can no longer afford them?

Who takes the hit when they claim bankruptcy?

I can't for the life of me see how people don't see the overall implications to the health of the nation.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:42 PM

1,241 posts, read 2,325,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Does this give a corporation free reign to work against the best interests of the Nation?

Can an American corporation sell certain technology to countries the U.S. deems "unfriendly"?

Can an American corporation operate recklessly, to the extent that it endangers the lives of others? In other words, does the interest of maximizing profit permit dry cleaners to dump thousands of toxic chemicals into the ground? Do medical labs have the right to maximize their profits by dumping medical waste into the river?

Does not unbridled capitalism treat its victims the same way? For example, parts of Detroit are in a reforesting effort, to clear away, and repopulate, once inhabited parts of the city, with trees, shrubs, etc. The city of Detroit can't afford to police, light, and maintain roads, in huge swaths of abandoned land - in what once were thriving neighborhoods. All due to a lack of industry.

I am a puleoconservative; a free market capitalist. But what we see today, is capitalism run amok.
A company can do what it wants as long as it is not against the law.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:42 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,555,852 times
Quote:
LOL... I seriously doubt that is the reason.

I think the economy and housing woe's are the primary reason why Lowes isn't meeting projections
LOL...I do not think it's about hitting projections or forecasts.

I think its about poorly managed stores, high overhead & operating costs, poor marketing decisions, low profit margins and senior management wanting to secure their spots & income.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:44 PM

Great posts!

Quote:

Quote:
MY brother works for a manufacturer in upper management. We had a discussion about Walmart and all the mom and pop shops that close when one opens up. He is one of those.. competition is good, you have to adapt, the best man wins...

2 years later his company shut down his plant and he was moved to another position.. but he felt bad because all of his workers were out of a job and the chances of getting another job in that field with that pay was slim to none.

What good is a service or product if it doesn't sell because Americans are broke?

Housing is one area where this is happening... Lowes can't make sales projections if they keep outsourcing... who can buy a house or afford to work on it if they don't have a job?
Quote:
Excellent points raised.

And what happens to someone when they built a career with a specific trade, are laid off, and has to take a job (or two) for significantly less?

Who honors all of their fiduciary obligations when they can no longer afford them?

I can't for the life of me see how people don't see the overall implications to the health of the nation.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
A company can do what it wants as long as it is not against the law.
Just because it is "legal" does not make it right.

It isn't illegal for one to cheat on their spouse, but that doesn't make it right.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Excellent points raised.

They reduce their spending and move on. Do you want a guarantee that nobody will ever make less than they made in a previous job?

This is where its up to the person to reduce their fiduciary obligations down to a point where they can afford them.

The entity that loaned the person the money.

Anyone ever hear about personal responsibility?

Old 02-15-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Just because it is "legal" does not make it right.

It isn't illegal for one to cheat on their spouse, but that doesn't make it right.

Being "right" is subjective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte