Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 09:13 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,190,187 times

Advertisements

If it makes you feel better (it won't, being sarcastic), I think I remember reading they are doing this and NOT opening up more stores (6 new / month vs like 2 now?) like they planed, because Home Depot is showing something like 6/7% growth and Lowes is stuck @ 3%, so all this is being done in attempts to get to Home Depot levels of profit. I have a friend that worked in Lowes shipping / receiving, and a lot there got axed as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 09:17 AM

335 posts, read 702,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Corporations are PEOPLE, come on - aren't all of you listening to our beloved potential presidential candidates?!

That aside (which is frightening enough to me), I have to agree with ani here. In a "free" market your best statement to corporations/employers along these lines is to become your own boss. Any inability to achieve that is not Lowe's fault - I mean, you can blame them for many things... but not that.
I agree entirely. But, with our current brand of "free market" economics at play, good luck starting up that Mom & Pop Harware store.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:31 AM

10 posts, read 37,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabronie View Post
reading they are doing this and NOT opening up more stores (6 new / month vs like 2 now?)
Closing many stores as well.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:48 AM

310 posts, read 674,988 times
Just do what comedian Doug Stanhope suggests; Steal crap. And I don't mean stationary and pens and pencils. Big stuff. Run out of there with computers, printers, and the big LED monitors. Then sell it on the side of a highway exit ramp.

I'd love to start this next paragraph with "Haha, that was just a joke!", but it's not. Pissing our lives away for crap pay and next to no benefits, especially when a lot of us have followed the "Post Modern American Employment Blueprint", as I like to call it. You know, go to school, work hard, get into a good school, work hard some more and then you'll qualify for a good job. Well, that concept is half decomposed in the garbage. *********r job, *********r boss, screw the corporation. Steal that stuff!

Old 02-13-2012, 10:49 AM

8,878 posts, read 13,979,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goindownsouth2011 View Post
Oh yes, by all means, stay in your place and don't question authority, not even on an anonymous website. Keep up the sheeple attitude and do what your master says. Don't make waves, just go along with the flow and everything will be alright.
Wow, you've got it figured out!

So what will he accomplish by refusing to leave when he gets a pink slip? He'll get a criminal record. That's really marketable going forward!

What will he get if people are silly enough to listen to his statements about the off shore workers and the CEOs' compensation and they stop shopping at Lowes? Well, he'd get a bunch of his co-workers laid off!

So really now...what did this post accomplish other than announce some internal gossip that was unsubstantiated until another poster put up a link?

My reply is that "it is what it is" in corporate America. Sometimes, you can thrive at the hand of the corporation; sometimes you get shoved aside. I didn't call him a good or bad employee. I don't see how you can change the corporate climate while trying to make the best for your family.

I just recommended he make himself as hireable as he can to a new party so he get get a jump on his next steps.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:13 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,182,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDarius View Post
The "word" here is 10%, but it's unsubstantiated.
Scary, depressing times. I wish I was a Kardashian.
Better to be a Braxton, more talent... just ask them!

Old 02-13-2012, 12:36 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,203,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman704 View Post
Just do what comedian Doug Stanhope suggests; Steal crap. And I don't mean stationary and pens and pencils. Big stuff. Run out of there with computers, printers, and the big LED monitors. Then sell it on the side of a highway exit ramp.

I'd love to start this next paragraph with "Haha, that was just a joke!", but it's not. Pissing our lives away for crap pay and next to no benefits, especially when a lot of us have followed the "Post Modern American Employment Blueprint", as I like to call it. You know, go to school, work hard, get into a good school, work hard some more and then you'll qualify for a good job. Well, that concept is half decomposed in the garbage. *********r job, *********r boss, screw the corporation. Steal that stuff!
Really!?
So your advice is for someone who has a job in a corporation to steal "big stuff"?
I'm sure it has been tried and I don't think it worked very well, unless one wants to hit the bottom pretty fast (prison, unemployable for rest of his/her life). But again, as you mentioned the "advice" was given by a comedian, so although you mentioned it is not a joke, I'm sure it is. Or it better be...

For people who are disappointed with corporations today, they should start their own business and prove to all of us how a company should be run. Based on disgruntled comments, running a corporation the "proper way" cannot be hard...

My best advice to any employee is to stop thinking like an employee (entitlements)! Think like an owner of that company who is temporarily doing a particular job. I promise you're not going to regret it!
Even if you get laid off, your attitude & experience is on a different level than your peers who'll compete for same new job. And that will show in the interview process.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:33 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,728,236 times
Wow. Sorry to hear that about Lowes. That will not be good for our local economy.

At least we have the banana folks coming to town soon.....

Old 02-13-2012, 02:15 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,611,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Corporations are PEOPLE, come on - aren't all of you listening to our beloved potential presidential candidates?!

That aside (which is frightening enough to me), I have to agree with ani here. In a "free" market your best statement to corporations/employers along these lines is to become your own boss. Any inability to achieve that is not Lowe's fault - I mean, you can blame them for many things... but not that.

Not only that, but Corporations have a RIGHT to make a profit. I'm sure congress will be introducing a bill very soon to make it legal.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:21 PM

246 posts, read 585,668 times
I'm sorry to hear about the layoffs, but I do want to get back to something:

Indian contractors billing $180/hr? Even if we assume a relatively conservative billing-to-salary ratio of 3:1, those contractors are pulling down $60/hr, or roughly $125k/yr. That begs a few questions:

1) What kind of jobs are they doing?
2) Can I have one?
3) If $125k/yr is on the cheap end, what are the "experienced" folks making?
4) Why does it matter if they are Indian?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte