Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 08:09 AM

335 posts, read 700,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
For those who think they are slaves to the corporate master . . . how about establishing your own business and see how you do with the bottom line - and managing ungrateful employees who have developed an entitlement attitude?
For most of us, that would be like joining a game of Monopoly after someone already has hotels on Boardwalk and Park Place.

Of course, I was using hyperbole, as I was miffed at the suggestion that the little guy doesn't have the right to speak out on an anonymous blog against what he sees as poor leadership.

The fact of the matter is, this country has undergone a tremendous transformation in recent decades, in terms of consolidation of power. Big banks, big government, big home improvement stores in this case, you name it. There are economies of scale to be gained by such consolidation, but the end result is ALWAYS fewer people making more decisions for the masses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 08:22 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,033,203 times
"Massive"? Really? What percent of the employees? I mean they just built that HQ in Mooresville. Is that where the jobs will be lost?

As for the sheeple rants... what does all that rhetoric have to do with Lowe's potential layoffs?

Old 02-13-2012, 08:27 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,523,734 times
Some of the comments here...smh.

None the less, the OP is on point.

Lowe?s to offer buyouts to some customer-service employees - Charlotte Business Journal

Lowe's Cos. Inc.* * is notifying about 5,200 western N.C. customer-service employees that they could be eligible for a buyout as the company works to cut staff in some segments.
Workers affected are located at both the Mooresville headquarters and a North Wilkesboro center that used to house the company’s headquarters.
Lowe’s says layoffs could follow the voluntary program if the company doesn’t receive enough participants. The company refused to disclose its target number for employee reductions.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:33 AM

10 posts, read 37,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Some of the comments here...smh.

The company refused to disclose its target number for employee reductions.
The "word" here is 10%, but it's unsubstantiated.
Scary, depressing times. I wish I was a Kardashian.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:39 AM

An entitlement attitude? Seriously Ani?
People are beyond pissed that they are losing jobs and OPTIONS with the course of this nation. The " do more with less mentality".

Why is it ok for corporations or as you like to call them "employers" can screw employees and this nation, they rant and rave about lower taxes, I assure you a tax rate never created one job. (not to mention, tax rates are the lowest they have ever been and the jobs are slipping out of here) but if an employee speaks out, gets mad and rants it is an entitlement mentality?

Do you understand that options are slim and dwindling? A society can not function on burger flippin' jobs not to mention there are only so many of those to go around. Do you comprehend where this "attitude" is coming from? Will it take everyone to be effected and lose their jobs to get it?? I hope not.

Quote:
?????

Master? Unless you establish your own business, you are an employee of a business wh/ has been established and owned and operated by someone else.

No one owes you a job. I am very surprised at such a lack of respect or appreciation to the folks who make it possible for you to feed your family. Employees with crappy attitudes are one reason American corporations have chosen to do business someplace else. That, and unions, which ran up wages on jobs that required neither the skill nor education to demand those salaries.

For those who think they are slaves to the corporate master . . . how about establishing your own business and see how you do with the bottom line - and managing ungrateful employees who have developed an entitlement attitude?

Old 02-13-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDarius View Post
The "word" here is 10%, but it's unsubstantiated.
Scary, depressing times. I wish I was a Kardashian.

These are scary and uncertain times. I truly wish you the best!

Old 02-13-2012, 08:45 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,200,140 times
Quote:
?????

Master? Unless you establish your own business, you are an employee of a business wh/ has been established and owned and operated by someone else.

No one owes you a job. I am very surprised at such a lack of respect or appreciation to the folks who make it possible for you to feed your family. Employees with crappy attitudes are one reason American corporations have chosen to do business someplace else. That, and unions, which ran up wages on jobs that required neither the skill nor education to demand those salaries.

Wow! I'll never understand why folks wave their pompoms for corporations that don't give a dang about anything except the almighty dollar. Like that's some kind of noble endeavor...

Old 02-13-2012, 08:48 AM

10 posts, read 37,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Like that's some kind of noble endeavor...
It's all about the shareholders. More profit at any expense with no long-term vision.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:03 AM

468 posts, read 827,379 times
Quote:
?????

Old 02-13-2012, 09:10 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,033,203 times
Corporations are PEOPLE, come on - aren't all of you listening to our beloved potential presidential candidates?!

That aside (which is frightening enough to me), I have to agree with ani here. In a "free" market your best statement to corporations/employers along these lines is to become your own boss. Any inability to achieve that is not Lowe's fault - I mean, you can blame them for many things... but not that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte