Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 09:16 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,023,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
The day Lowe's moved its corporate offices from Wilkes County, I made the statement: "If I had any Lowe's stock, I would sell it now." I fully expected this to happen. When you change from work ethics to the party scene, this is what you get. Rumor was that the corporate offices were moved closer to a better night life for its executives. In my opinion, one Wilkes County native worker is worth two or three anywhere else.

One thing I noticed when I was working in this county is that not everybody comes to work to do work. Some of them come to work just to collect a paycheck.
Really? The old "country people are better workers than city people" meme. Is this even worth a response?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 10:14 AM

3,868 posts, read 4,281,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireflychik View Post
I would think that to be successful as an engineer, you really need to get the right education. Working as an engineer with a degree is drama is crazy. I'm surprised people without an engineering degree can get hired as an engineer, especially when ones that do have a degree are having trouble finding work. It really seems to be about who know rather than what you know.
Not really, there all kinds of engineers, many engineering positions aren't too tech heavy (R&D is tech heavy), but you'll need some technical skills. Even in electrical engineering, most aren't designing, soldering or reading electrical drawings. You have product managers, application engineers, technical sales, technical training, quality, product test, etc...most engineers do more wriiting than research.

Engineers get laid-off quite frequently, it isn't really difficult to find a new job, may have to relo or do some other technical role. I have 20+ classmates that I keep up with and all have jobs, some have been laid-off, even in a good economy (start-ups etc) but found work in a few months or so. You won't get rich being a corporate america engineer, but you'll do better than most.....well, the friend I have in technical sales is relatively wealthy.

There is a lot of opportunity out there for engineers and don't see anything resembling a saturation point, a lot of engineers don't like being engineers so attracting people into these fields is tough...the course work can be rigourous. Some people backdoor via work experience and "who you know" thing.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:34 AM

292 posts, read 672,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Not really, there all kinds of engineers, many engineering positions aren't too tech heavy (R&D is tech heavy), but you'll need some technical skills. Even in electrical engineering, most aren't designing, soldering or reading electrical drawings. You have product managers, application engineers, technical sales, technical training, quality, product test, etc...most engineers do more wriiting than research.

Engineers get laid-off quite frequently, it isn't really difficult to find a new job, may have to relo or do some other technical role. I have 20+ classmates that I keep up with and all have jobs, some have been laid-off, even in a good economy (start-ups etc) but found work in a few months or so. You won't get rich being a corporate america engineer, but you'll do better than most.....well, the friend I have in technical sales is relatively wealthy.

There is a lot of opportunity out there for engineers and don't see anything resembling a saturation point, a lot of engineers don't like being engineers so attracting people into these fields is tough...the course work can be rigourous. Some people backdoor via work experience and "who you know" thing.
That is interesting. Thanks. Do you have advice on where someone who is about to graduate with a BS in ELET should look for a job?

Old 02-16-2012, 11:44 AM

2,778 posts, read 5,168,549 times
Quote:
That is interesting. Thanks. Do you have advice on where someone who is about to graduate with a BS in ELET should look for a job?
I guess the obvious:
- school career placement services should have some companies interested in new grads
- on line postings
- contact job placement agencies
- networking with colleagues who already found a job

Good luck!

Old 02-16-2012, 11:50 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,199,422 times
Hope everyone remembers how important education is for our entire society (not just parents) when voting time comes!

Better education will require more money... I couldn't maintain the 16 hours of daily study necessary to become an engineer because I had to work to put myself through school. If school hadn't been so expensive I could have devoted more time to my studies.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:40 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,350,079 times
Did you have to walk uphill both ways to get to class, too?

Old 02-16-2012, 01:02 PM

335 posts, read 699,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
I worked summers (lots of overtime in a hard, minimum pay manufacturing job) and finished school with a huge loan (took me over 7 years to pay it back) - but it was all worth it.
During school, everyday I had my home made sandwich with me (could not afford to pay for lunch in campus) and never went with my colleagues for drinks (could not afford), if I did, just had water. No other financial support (besides loans and summer work savings) ensured that all my meals were prepared by me, no eating out.
Of course I had no car while rented cheapest small attic room I could find just outside campus. Lots of financial sacrifices during school years, while I had to achieve top grades (to be a standout student and be employable upon graduation).

The reward is much sweeter after the extra hard work, I wish more kids nowadays will think the same.
It is possible, but the right attitude and "know what you want" needs to be there first!
I sacraficed even more than that to get through college, and I am somewhat successful now; and yet I still somehow empathize with the plight of those that have less than me. Amazing!

Old 02-16-2012, 01:14 PM

2,778 posts, read 5,168,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goindownsouth2011 View Post
I sacraficed even more than that to get through college, and I am somewhat successful now; and yet I still somehow empathize with the plight of those that have less than me. Amazing!
I only feel empathy for those that cannot do any better, but at least try. These are people that need our help.

However I feel no sympathy for the ones that can do better, but won't (always waiting for help from outside and blaming everybody, but themselves). Or the ones that on purpose try to take advantage of the hard working peers.

Sorry for derailing this thread, best of luck to the ones who'll loose their jobs at Lowe's!

Old 02-16-2012, 01:16 PM

3,868 posts, read 4,281,283 times
Quote:
I am assuming you mean Electronics Technology or Electrical Engineering degree.

Anyone in school should first seek employment through their career services department. Seems they are about to graduate so that might be a moot point at this stage of the game.

This is what I recommend:

1) start with the school's career service center - even if finishing a degree and no luck finding fulltime work, try to get an internship or co-op position, it's all about getting in the door, performing well and who knows...I did this once and got offered a permanent position, finished school part-time during undergrad.

2) the old addage network, network, network - join the local IEEE and ASHRAE chapters. Go to a monthly or quarterly meeting to network....google any related conferences/meetings about the type of technical work of interest. Usually quite a few in the metro area/ region and student rate is generally modest.

If interested in energy, go to this one in Raleigh (April), student rate is $59:

Sustainable Energy Conference

Over 1000 attendees, vendors, etc from Charlotte, Raleigh, etc. Tons of other conferences and meetings with a company list/rep.

You don't need a resume, just collect cards and follow-up. Most will forward your information to an HR or manager contact.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:24 PM

292 posts, read 672,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I am assuming you mean Electronics Technology or Electrical Engineering degree.

Anyone in school should first seek employment through their career services department. Seems they are about to graduate so that might be a moot point at this stage of the game.

This is what I recommend:

1) start with the school's career service center - even if finishing a degree and no luck finding fulltime work, try to get an internship or co-op position, it's all about getting in the door, performing well and who knows...I did this once and got offered a permanent position, finished school part-time during undergrad.

2) the old addage network, network, network - join the local IEEE and ASHRAE chapters. Go to a monthly or quarterly meeting to network....google any related conferences/meetings about the type of technical work of interest. Usually quite a few in the metro area/ region and student rate is generally modest.

If interested in energy, go to this one in Raleigh (April), student rate is $59:

Sustainable Energy Conference

Over 1000 attendees, vendors, etc from Charlotte, Raleigh, etc. Tons of other conferences and meetings with a company list/rep.

You don't need a resume, just collect cards and follow-up. Most will forward your information to an HR or manager contact.
Yeah, graduating in May with a BS in Electrical Engineering Technology. The career placement center at UNCC has not been very helpful so far. Most of the job opportunities I have come across are from doing online searches and finding out what local companies employ engineers and going directly to their websites to search their listings. Thanks for the advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte