Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 01:29 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,279,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Did you have to walk uphill both ways to get to class, too?

LOL! It's futile to equate individual challenges and assume "if I did it, so can you".....it's not quite that straight forward but I do get the point from 28173 regarding wasted talent.

The Charlotte area needs a strong Lowes company, let's hope this isn't very impactful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireflychik View Post
Yeah, graduating in May with a BS in Electrical Engineering Technology. The career placement center at UNCC has not been very helpful so far. Most of the job opportunities I have come across are from doing online searches and finding out what local companies employ engineers and going directly to their websites to search their listings. Thanks for the advice.
Nope you gotta hit the streets! People need to see the great ambitious you! PM me to curtail this official thread jack for more info on upcoming energy happenings in the QC. There's an energy conference being hosted by your great university in May (1st and 2nd) that you need to attend and network!

Old 02-16-2012, 01:56 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times
Nice work if you can get it:

Lowes Warehouse Fun at work - YouTube

Old 02-16-2012, 05:17 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,465,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
The day Lowe's moved its corporate offices from Wilkes County, I made the statement: "If I had any Lowe's stock, I would sell it now." I fully expected this to happen. When you change from work ethics to the party scene, this is what you get. Rumor was that the corporate offices were moved closer to a better night life for its executives. In my opinion, one Wilkes County native worker is worth two or three anywhere else.

One thing I noticed when I was working in this county is that not everybody comes to work to do work. Some of them come to work just to collect a paycheck.
At the time the executives were well over 50 years old with one living in Wilmington, another Winston Salem and the other still living in Wilkesboro. Kinda doubt those guys were looking for the awesome night life that is Mooresville, especially Mooresville several years ago pre-Lowe's. haha I think there was a couple of restaurants off exit 36 and nothing on 33.

The reason we moved a significant portion to Mooresville (still have a huge facility in Wilkesboro), was because of better schools and better access to the skill set and labor pool Lowe's needed at the time. When you are trying to recruit the best from other companies, selling them the chance to live at the lake with some of the best schools in the state for their kids makes it a heck of a lot easier than asking them to move to Wilkes with schools that are old and over-crowded and the main attraction in town is the Wal-Mart. Seriously, I was born in Wilkes and lived there many years, the move made business sense as much as I hated it because of the negative impact to the county that I still love and have family in.

Now, one part I absolutely agree with is you do get a lot more employees that have this entitlement attitude going on with them in Mooresville than in Wilkes. I've worked at both campuses for years and it's immediately obvious the differences in personalities and attitude. Some of that is because in Wilkes it was a one horse race as everyone wanted to work for Lowe's and retire there, now Lowe's has a lot more competition to keep their employees in Mooresville so people aren't nearly as motivated to do more and make themselves more valuable to the company.

Seeing how this latest announcement impacts that mentality will be interesting in Mooresville, especially with the Gen Y employees.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:54 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,240,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireflychik View Post
Yeah, graduating in May with a BS in Electrical Engineering Technology. The career placement center at UNCC has not been very helpful so far. Most of the job opportunities I have come across are from doing online searches and finding out what local companies employ engineers and going directly to their websites to search their listings. Thanks for the advice.
My advice is to expand the borders of your search, don't just look locally. The market for "techs" is tough. Full-fledged engineering graduates are having a tough enough time finding work. It is much worse for EET's and MET's. I can hire ME's and EE's for the same money in this market.

I personally believe ABET should mandate that all Universities remove the word "Engineering" from the programs of Electrical Engineering Technology, Mechanical Engineering Technology, etc. The programs should just be called Electrical Technology, Mechanical Technology, etc. Too many people don't know they difference between these tech programs and "real" engineering educations. It fools a lot of young students and parents about the education their kids are really getting. This has flooded the market with "engineers in name only."

Old 02-17-2012, 06:37 AM

748 posts, read 1,771,658 times
The headhunters have caught wind of the situation. It's like a jackpot for them.

One man's trash is another man's treasure, I guess.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:14 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,039,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobosCurse View Post
The headhunters have caught wind of the situation. It's like a jackpot for them.

One man's trash is another man's treasure, I guess.
Well, that's good news! Means that many people won't be out of work for long!

Old 02-17-2012, 07:48 AM

748 posts, read 1,771,658 times
Lots of jobs at the data centers in Maiden, I hear.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
My advice is to expand the borders of your search, don't just look locally. The market for "techs" is tough. Full-fledged engineering graduates are having a tough enough time finding work. It is much worse for EET's and MET's. I can hire ME's and EE's for the same money in this market.

I personally believe ABET should mandate that all Universities remove the word "Engineering" from the programs of Electrical Engineering Technology, Mechanical Engineering Technology, etc. The programs should just be called Electrical Technology, Mechanical Technology, etc. Too many people don't know they difference between these tech programs and "real" engineering educations. It fools a lot of young students and parents about the education their kids are really getting. This has flooded the market with "engineers in name only."
I agree but many "young" people just don't know how to network. There are local opportunities outside of the Fortune 500 companies. I'm not sure what the going rate is for freshout EEs with no intern/co-op experience and average GPA scores, but those that have experience generally receive a competitive salary; especially in areas like analogue/digital design, programming, etc (hardcore engineeering roles).

My suggestion is spend less time submitting resumes online, join organizations, attend meetings/presentations to network, much better success rate.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:38 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobosCurse View Post
Lots of jobs at the data centers in Maiden, I hear.
Apple has a data center in Maiden. Have more sprung up? Lincolnton is looking for one. Kings Mountain has Wipro & the Disney building is under construction. T5, who owns land in Maiden & Kings Mountain, has a spec building for sale or lease. Shelby landed a data center, but it has to be built.

If you heard data centers, it would probably be Maiden & Kings Mountain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte