Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2012, 04:28 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
No. In my world, nobody is guaranteed a job or a minimum salary like some people believe.

The sewers are fixed by the entity that owns the sewers. That entity charges usage fee's to pay for the fixes.
Thanks for the bold. I might not have understood your post without the emphasis on rhetoric.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 04:53 PM

292 posts, read 672,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
This might come as a shock for many here, but biggest complain that US companies have, it is the lack of available skilled work force, especially with the threat of baby boomers retirement.
Apparently there is an immediate demand for 600,000 skilled manufacturing positions.
FEATURE-US teens learn robotics, windmills as factories lack skilled workers | Reuters

The key word is "skilled".
In one of the posts I read the other day someone was mentioning how his stepfather (working on the floor) was telling the CEO of an aviation company that problem is that there were only 50 people on the floor and 150 in the office. This is ridiculous, this type of company definitely needs more engineers and scientists than labourers.
I have a feeling that same ignorance towards what a company really needs to function, it is the main reason that triggers (on this post) this outburst of hate towards corporations.
I wish articles like this would list where those 600,000 jobs are. My husband, who is about to graduate with an electrical engineering technology degree and already has two electric and electronics associates degrees, has been job searching. The job market looks pretty bleak despite his skills and background which are so supposedly in demand.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:19 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,465,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
"What any of this has to do with Lowe's layoffs, I'm unsure... But I don't understand why we can't simply take those at face value - tough times mean cutbacks. It sucks, but the folks who are in charge should be allowed to run their business the way they see fit and let the consumers decide the ultimate fate".

You hit the nail on the head - "let the customers decide the fate".

Wonder how many customers left Lowes over recent controversial ad sponsorship with American Muslim TV show?

I'm sure, like me, many have switched to Home Depot.
I know this thread isn't really about Lowe's now but I wanted to clarify something....

Home Depot did this very thing (scaling back corporate)a couple of years ago. They also closed stores before Lowe's finally did as well. I applaud Lowe's for trying to stick out the economy and keeping the stores open and everyone employed for as long as possible instead of doing a knee-jerk reaction to Depot back in 2009 and following suit with closures and layoffs. Economy hasn't turned like we all hoped it would and here we are.

I hope we have enough people to take these voluntary layoffs so it doesn't come down to people like Bobo or myself losing our job involuntary.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:10 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,917,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
I hope we have enough people to take these voluntary layoffs so it doesn't come down to people like Bobo or myself losing our job involuntary.
Bringing the subject back to Lowe's, I sincerely wish you, Bobo & OP all the best during this time.

Should the layoff happen, there's still a chance at a silver lining. I was separated from AT&T after 21 successful years awhile back. It actually turned out to be a good thing for me.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:27 PM

748 posts, read 1,771,789 times
Quote:

We're buying a pizza place. I'm done with this corporate crap.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:06 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,552,562 times
Quote:
I know this thread isn't really about Lowe's now but I wanted to clarify something....

Home Depot did this very thing (scaling back corporate)a couple of years ago. They also closed stores before Lowe's finally did as well. I applaud Lowe's for trying to stick out the economy and keeping the stores open and everyone employed for as long as possible instead of doing a knee-jerk reaction to Depot back in 2009 and following suit with closures and layoffs. Economy hasn't turned like we all hoped it would and here we are.

Involuntary?
Ooops, I think that means getting fired or laid off.

Wake up People of Lowes!

Do you really need to wait for the axe to fall on you?
It's going to happen whether you want it or not...unless
you happen to be the CEO with Stock Options!!!

You (people getting axed) can start doing something for
yourselves now! Take the axe and hold it - it belongs
to you now. Swing it fast and hard and do not contemplate
your thoughts, you are qualified to do much better than this.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:47 PM

748 posts, read 1,771,789 times
Cleveland, are you drunk?
What does that even mean? We should chop the heads off of the CEO? And yes, heads. Multiple.

It's over. By the time it reaches us it's been in the works for many months, including the ridiculous PR. I actually feel sorry for those that stay. It's a horrible environment.

And now it's worse because it's all about what you have to do to make the cut..but there's no criteria. You have to guess. Years of service? PDP score? And thank you, Lord, for never allowing me to have another PDP.

Lowes will get what they deserve, fr
om the market, the press, etc.

Best of luck to them. We'll find out if Americans care that an Indian driven company on or own turf matters. My guess is lowest price wins.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:32 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,022,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goindownsouth2011 View Post
Let's see...corporate puppet talking points (warning: contradictions ahead!):
1) not enough skilled workers - must import workers from asia
2) not enough unskilled workers - must import workers from latin america to do the jobs that americans are not willing to do
3) our banks cannot compete in the global arena, so we must make them bigger
4) job creators trickle down their fairy dust on all of us peons, do not take them for granted
http://www.salon.com/2012/01/30/the_...yth/singleton/

This article lays out pretty well how this whole notion that the US isn't producing "skilled" workers is baloney.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:05 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,347,241 times
So, what, Lowe's built that huge "campus" and aren't going to have anyone working there?

Old 02-16-2012, 06:18 AM

2,777 posts, read 5,166,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
http://www.salon.com/2012/01/30/the_...yth/singleton/

This article lays out pretty well how this whole notion that the US isn't producing "skilled" workers is baloney.
Sorry but this is far from a credible source...to say the least...

In his speech yesterday (at Master Lock in Wisconsin), President Obama talked about the lack of skilled workforce. It is an acute problem.

And by skilled personal, the companies mean highly skilled engineers/scientists, people with doctorate degrees, not production line workers. These are the skills that help a company to create new products and in turn create other jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte