Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2012, 05:47 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,561,719 times

Advertisements

"What any of this has to do with Lowe's layoffs, I'm unsure... But I don't understand why we can't simply take those at face value - tough times mean cutbacks. It sucks, but the folks who are in charge should be allowed to run their business the way they see fit and let the consumers decide the ultimate fate".

You hit the nail on the head - "let the customers decide the fate".

Wonder how many customers left Lowes over recent controversial ad sponsorship with American Muslim TV show?

I'm sure, like me, many have switched to Home Depot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 06:02 AM

1,241 posts, read 2,330,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
Wonder how many customers left Lowes over recent controversial ad sponsorship with American Muslim TV show?

I haven't.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:09 AM

15,375 posts, read 12,715,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
"What any of this has to do with Lowe's layoffs, I'm unsure... But I don't understand why we can't simply take those at face value - tough times mean cutbacks. It sucks, but the folks who are in charge should be allowed to run their business the way they see fit and let the consumers decide the ultimate fate".

You hit the nail on the head - "let the customers decide the fate".

LOL... I seriously doubt that is the reason.

I think the economy and housing woe's are the primary reason why Lowes isn't meeting projections

Old 02-15-2012, 07:18 AM

10 posts, read 37,743 times
Can't keep up with this whole thread, but the $180/hr comes directly from contractors who stated that they hope this gravy train doesn't end. Obviously they themselves only get a cut of that from their firms, but still, that's allot of money.

And I saw something along the lines of "What does it matter that they're Indian?" It doesn't. It matters that they're foreigners. Not just a few, but thousands. It's bad enough that companies outsource as much as they do, but to displace so many Americans on our own soil is disgraceful and insulting. And to listen to them complain about all the things that are wrong with the US is infuriating.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:07 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,246,963 times
There is simply no way Lowe's is paying $180/hour for an Indian contractor. We can hire Indian engineers with master's degrees in mechanical or electrical engineering for $12,000 per YEAR. We can hire PhD's for $15k to $18k per year. Yep, that's less than $10 per hour. I'm sorry, but there is no way this figure is accurate.

$180 per week is actually a reasonable number for an Indian professional with only a bachelor's degree. I'd bet this is a per week figure.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:20 AM

335 posts, read 702,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
There is simply no way Lowe's is paying $180/hour for an Indian contractor. We can hire Indian engineers with master's degrees in mechanical or electrical engineering for $12,000 per YEAR. We can hire PhD's for $15k to $18k per year. Yep, that's less than $10 per hour. I'm sorry, but there is no way this figure is accurate.

$180 per week is actually a reasonable number for an Indian professional with only a bachelor's degree. I'd bet this is a per week figure.
I believe you are referring to contractors overseas, whereas the OP is referring to contractors here in the U.S. on a visa. It is quite possible that the contractor's employer is billing $180/hr and paying out a $120,000 annual salary. My employer has a very similar business model. The point is, that while lifelong citizens are underpaid or out of work, the govt continues to hand out H1B visas like candy.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:47 AM

3,519 posts, read 2,833,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDarius View Post
Can't keep up with this whole thread, but the $180/hr comes directly from contractors who stated that they hope this gravy train doesn't end. Obviously they themselves only get a cut of that from their firms, but still, that's allot of money.

And I saw something along the lines of "What does it matter that they're Indian?" It doesn't. It matters that they're foreigners. Not just a few, but thousands. It's bad enough that companies outsource as much as they do, but to displace so many Americans on our own soil is disgraceful and insulting. And to listen to them complain about all the things that are wrong with the US is infuriating.
I am sorry for your tough times. This is no joke to the people that have to go through it.

On the other hand, the $180/hr figure doesn't seem to add up. For a full time position, that works out to be ~$360K per year (2000 hours x $180). Times thousands? It would seem that one could hire 3 people at $80 to $100K per year plus benefits for that amount.

What are these contractors doing for the company that Lowes pays so much for their services? Again, it doesn't make sense that Lowes would outsource the operations of the whole corporate headquarters (if this is what you are inferring) for a rate that exceeds what they could pay 3 local workers. If this is the case, I would think stock holders would be up in arms and analysts would have already reported this.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
I am sorry for your tough times. This is no joke to the people that have to go through it.

On the other hand, the $180/hr figure doesn't seem to add up. For a full time position, that works out to be ~$360K per year (2000 hours x $180). Times thousands? It would seem that one could hire 3 people at $80 to $100K per year plus benefits for that amount. That's not how it works. The "contractor" is actually an emoployee of the contractor/employer (e.g. Acme IT Contractors LLP employs Rajesh Sundra for $120,000/yr. and they bill Lowe's $180/hour for Rajesh's services.)

What are these contractors doing for the company that Lowes pays so much for their services? 2 main things: 1)From the example above, Acme IT Contractors LLP is providing recruiting/interviewing/drug screeing, etc. HR functions essentially, for Lowe's, who would otherwise have a difficult time finding foreigners to diplace Americans, and 2) Acme is providing FLEXIBILITY. When they need the people, they get them A.S.A.P. When they are done with them, the can get rid of them A.S.A.P. Again, it doesn't make sense that Lowes would outsource the operations of the whole corporate headquarters (if this is what you are inferring) for a rate that exceeds what they could pay 3 local workers. If this is the case, I would think stock holders would be up in arms and analysts would have already reported this. Sounds crazy, but it is easier to "manage" a contractor that manages 100 employees, than it is to "mange" the 100 employees yourself. And you don't have to worry about pensions/layoffs and all those other 'antiquated' employment practices. This is how the behemoth corporations operate now. I live it every day.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:32 AM

1,241 posts, read 2,330,743 times
Are you saying that Lowes is hiring foreign contractor's to purposefully displace American workers? An contractor that is a citizen of the USA is the same as a contractor that is from another country. They get paid the same. Companies use contractors so that they do not have to pay benefits, manage the contractor, and they can also get rid of the contractor whenever they want and for whatever reason they want. I see nothing wrong with that.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
Are you saying that Lowes is hiring foreign contractor's to purposefully displace American workers? An contractor that is a citizen of the USA is the same as a contractor that is from another country. They get paid the same. Companies use contractors so that they do not have to pay benefits, manage the contractor, and they can also get rid of the contractor whenever they want and for whatever reason they want. I see nothing wrong with that.
Purposefully displace? No. But such employers have no regard for the displaced either. There is no such thing as loyalty to employees, loyalty to local communities, loyalty to state or country. The only loyalty is to the mangement bonus pool and to shareholder returns. Is that right or wrong...well you decide for yourself. But hypothetically, if the only measure of right and wrong is shareholder returns, and immoral/unethical behavior were profitable, then management would have a duty to shareholders to commit immoral/unethical acts. Our society has lost it's ability to judge any actions that cannot be measured in dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte