Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2013, 06:32 AM

50,883 posts, read 47,788,411 times

Advertisements

What would an Apt complex be without a large number of butts strewn about on every inch of cement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 03:20 PM

9,889 posts, read 11,891,093 times
Quote:
No, I'm tired of people bitching about smokers as if WE are dirty or otherwise "immoral" people. There is an attitude problem among a lot of non-smokers that feel it's their duty to put down smokers as if they are making a difference in the world. They put this contrived guilt trip on us. It's bad enough that if I want to smoke I have to go stand in a little square outside somewhere as not to inconvenience people. Okay, I'll live with that. No problem there. But when people feel it's their duty to enforce that MOD CUT in my own home? You're high. I draw the line there. It's getting out of hand. If I want to smoke, it's my prerogative.
Many people suffer from inhaling second hand smoke. You may have the right to smoke, but in a multiple tenant building, the non smoking tents have the right to not have your smoke in their units. When you force other people to inhale your smoke in their homes, you are violating their rights to the peaceful enjoyment of their living quarters. Blasting a stereo so your neighbors cannot even hear members of the family trying to talk to them, and sending second hand smoke to other units, are too big problems in multiple family buildings. The easiest way to stop the problems, is noise ordinances, and banning smoking in the building. With the tight rental market, landlords can fill t he units with non smokers, so why should they force the majority of their tenants to put up with smokers.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:35 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,983,896 times
Just saw this about a composting facility in Oregon being shut down for offensive smell in the community. There was much discussion in this thread previously about "nuisance" ordinances, including for offensive odors as well as noise factors, as precedent for this smoking ban.

The Noses Have Spoken, Compost Facility Too Stinky » News » OPB

Old 03-17-2013, 06:55 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,766,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
No, I'm tired of people bitching about smokers as if WE are dirty or otherwise "immoral" people.
If I want to smoke, it's my prerogative.
A story, back in my youthful pursuit of women of loose morals with an aim to "have fun", my friends and I would zero in on young women who smoked. They, much more than non smokers were likely to have breakfast made for them in the morning. Of course one had to be quite drunk to put up with the ash tray tasting mouth.

I don't mind if you smoke, I do mind if you exhale. Or, you don't actually smoke, the cigarette smokes, ya'll (generic ya'll, I tain't gettin personal) just be the sucker on the end of it

Gotta tell just how good my old man looked after the doctors cut out the right half of his lower jaw, and his right side neck muscles. Came from the heat of the cigarette against his gums. Light up now, y'hear.

It was terrible, his right side looked like Mitch McConnell's lower jawline.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:09 AM

30,996 posts, read 37,284,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Bill would prohibit smoking inside of any apartment, condo or duplex:

Millions of Californians would not be able to smoke tobacco inside their own homes under new legislation that would raise the bar nationwide for fighting secondhand smoke.

No state ever has ventured into personal bedrooms and living rooms with its smoking restrictions, but California is going even further than that by targeting owner-occupied residences as well as rental units.

California bill would ban smoking in multi-unit housing - Real Estate - The Sacramento Bee
I despise smoking, but this law is a terrible idea whose real agenda is more power and control of the few over the many...and it doesn't even include pot smoking, which is a bigger problem where I live.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:02 PM

21,985 posts, read 16,746,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I despise smoking, but this law is a terrible idea whose real agenda is more power and control of the few over the many...and it doesn't even include pot smoking, which is a bigger problem where I live.
A conspiracy? I like it.
Pot smoke? I like it.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:40 PM

Old 03-20-2013, 06:29 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,942,180 times
Smoking MMJ is going to present many tricky legal questions, not the least of which is the one presented by this here thread. Cigarette smoke is easy to pick on because there's arguably no positive gains to be had from the habit; MMJ, OTOH, is medicine.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Smoking MMJ is going to present many tricky legal questions, not the least of which is the one presented by this here thread. Cigarette smoke is easy to pick on because there's arguably no positive gains to be had from the habit; MMJ, OTOH, is medicine.
I been telling folks this since the 60's. I feel so much better now.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
Not precisely. Smoking in a closed environment does impose on you.

Smoking outside doesn't. For one, smoke is too diffuse to present danger to your health outside as long as you aren't having it blown in your face. Much like what comes from a car.

Two, you can move.

You desire to to have a quality of life can't infringe on my right to smoke.
You must understand that the moment I breath someones second hand smoke I am being imposed upon. If anything the fact that smokers are allowed to smoke is an impediment to my rights. I have the justification to defend my rights by not having that impediment present. They choose to smoke and both of us get the bad results.

I dont know if you can spot a single molecule of smoke from a cigarette and then move to avoid it, but I cannot.

A smokers desire to smoke should not be allowed to infringe on my quality of life. They are injuring me for their actions.

Last edited by Pyrosfyre; 03-28-2013 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: could me misinterpreted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California