Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 11:08 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,754,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
Nope, I can smell like smoke or excessive cologne, curry or whatever.

You have no right to be free from that.

I dare you to find a law stating otherwise.
This is CA. I will just sue your ass if you give me a headache.

Taadaa:

http://calibnews.wordpress.com/2012/...-the-homeless/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 11:09 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,949,515 times
Quote:
Actually we do know. We know that certain measurements, measured in parts per million, present minimal to no risk. If they didn't then your car exhaust would be illegal.

Nope, but you can take the disgusting attitude out of mine...

False, music is only regulated after certain times and not all jurisdictions enforce it. Some merely have a decibel restriction which can result in music that still keeps you awake. And I very well can put a pig farm or waste treatment plant right next to your house in the zoning commission allow me to.

Your rights don't exactly come into the picture in either scenario.

Getting huffy and puffy changes nothing.
You are entirely wrong on every count.

1. The entire reason that second-hand smoke is the issue it is all across the country -- and around the world -- is because it is NOT proven to have minimal risk in small ppm. It is also NOT "much like the exhaust from a car": motor vehicles are a necessity to our civilization (much as I'd prefer not) ... smoking is not. And, the exhaust from vehicles IS a very clearly acknowledged health threat ... that is why it has been regulated to greater and greater standards over the years.

2. There's nothing disgusting about my attitude. There is plenty confrontational about it though.

3. Noise pollution laws -- whether enforced or not -- exist in most, if not ALL urban and residential environments. They are not restricted to time of day -- although there are levels of restriction for noise at night that exceed day. It's called "public nuisance laws" among other terms. Look it up. Noise pollution is fully regulated which is why there are mufflers on vehicles and zoning to keep certain types of industries and services away from residential areas.

4. You certainly cannot put a pig farm or waste treatment plant next to any residential area because zoning would never allow. That's the whole purpose of zoning laws. Period. And the reason zoning would not allow is ....

Old 03-02-2013, 11:11 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,138,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
Well, let's not make any hasty decisions here.
Lol...

Here I am fighting and I'm getting ready to quit or attempt to. Hahahahah

Old 03-02-2013, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Lol...

Here I am fighting and I'm getting ready to quit or attempt to. Hahahahah
It's just fun on the internet, nothing personal.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Nope, I can smell like smoke or excessive cologne, curry or whatever.

You have no right to be free from that.

I dare you to find a law stating otherwise.
Quote:
Yep. This is an hilarious notion that so many people have: that there needs to be a specific law broken to prove damage. Not at all. Civil suits are commonly about harm caused without intent or laws broken.

If a person is adversely affected by another's cologne in an environment in which the person who suffers has required presence or equal right, and the damaged party has taken reasonable steps to mitigate the potential damage -- such as notifying the offender and giving reasonable time for amelioration -- then s/he can sue the pants off the offender who disregards the danger to the other.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:18 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,511,412 times
Just curious what you may consider a 'liberty'. Or, what liberties you may be willing to 'grant' to others? If any. In other words, are there things* that you would definitely choose not to do, but that you would grant that others have the 'liberty' to do?

Just curious really if safety will eventually pretty much eliminate liberty. Shoot, maybe it's already gone!!

*I don't mean bungee jumping or something frivolous or unique. I mean things in everyday life.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
You are entirely wrong on every count.

1. The entire reason that second-hand smoke is the issue it is all across the country -- and around the world -- is because it is NOT proven to have minimal risk in small ppm. It is also NOT "much like the exhaust from a car": motor vehicles are a necessity to our civilization (much as I'd prefer not) ... smoking is not. And, the exhaust from vehicles IS a very clearly acknowledged health threat ... that is why it has been regulated to greater and greater standards over the years.
Motor vehicles are not a necessity. At least not personally owned vehicles.

Its not an issue ALL around the country. Very few states rise to the level of CA.

Quote:
2. There's nothing disgusting about my attitude. There is plenty confrontational about it though.
Confrontational IS disgusting...

Quote:
3. Noise pollution laws -- whether enforced or not -- exist in most, if not ALL urban and residential environments. They are not restricted to time of day -- although there are levels of restriction for noise at night that exceed day. It's called "public nuisance laws" among other terms. Look it up. Noise pollution is fully regulated which is why there are mufflers on vehicles and zoning to keep certain types of industries and services away from residential areas.
Noise pollution... Regulates extremely loud music, not annoyingly loud.

Not all states require mufflers and when if they do, it is merely a ticket...

And try getting cops to come out for a noise complaint in the day time.

At least in a non-gated neighborhood.

Quote:
4. You certainly cannot put a pig farm or waste treatment plant next to any residential area because zoning would never allow. That's the whole purpose of zoning laws. Period. And the reason zoning would not allow is ....
Zoning boards allow all sorts of silly things...

In fact, they rezone all the time. Allowing liquor stores or strip clubs or malls or other undesirable things where they shouldn't be.

All over Google.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelva View Post
Just curious what you may consider a 'liberty'. Or, what liberties you may be willing to 'grant' to others? If any. In other words, are there things* that you would definitely choose not to do, but that you would grant that others have the 'liberty' to do?

Just curious really if safety will eventually pretty much eliminate liberty. Shoot, maybe it's already gone!!

*I don't mean bungee jumping or something frivolous or unique. I mean things in everyday life.
Well to me a general rule is your right to liberty ends in my personal space which might not be my skin. You do not have the right to create real offense against my body or person. This is way off-topic.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Well to me a general rule is your right to liberty ends in my personal space which might not be my skin. You do not have the right to create real offense against my body or person. This is way off-topic.
Personal space is not a legal concept. Something I do has to physically touch you to violate your rights.

Personal space is a new age, californiaish idea.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Motor vehicles are not a necessity. At least not personally owned vehicles.

Its not an issue ALL around the country. Very few states rise to the level of CA.

Confrontational IS disgusting...

Noise pollution... Regulates extremely loud music, not annoyingly loud.

Not all states require mufflers and when if they do, it is merely a ticket...

And try getting cops to come out for a noise complaint in the day time.

At least in a non-gated neighborhood.

Zoning boards allow all sorts of silly things...

In fact, they rezone all the time. Allowing liquor stores or strip clubs or malls or other undesirable things where they shouldn't be.

All over Google.
Nonsense from top to bottom.
There is no way our civilization functions without motor vehicles. We don't have the alternatives in place to allow commerce nor to allow private citizens to shop for groceries en-mass via public transit or shoe-leather.

Second-hand smoke IS an issue everywhere -- whether it has risen to the level of legislation yet in all places or not.

Confrontational isn't disgusting in the case of standing firm against threat. Smoking is disgusting.

Annoyingly loud music and other noise IS very much regulated. Again, I refer you to "public nuisance laws"

ALL states do indeed require mufflers. And it is a ticket you will receive repeatedly until you get one installed.

Not necessary to have a cop respond to a persistent noise complaint. I can file civil suit.

A zoning board will NOT allow a pig farm or waste treatment plant next to an existing residential area. Nope. And anyone who tries to bribe one of those through will be stopped cold in civil court along with the zoning board that takes the bribe. Never happen. Never.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California