Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2013, 04:54 PM

21,990 posts, read 16,746,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I don't smoke, and never have, but I fully agree with you here.

Assuming that the smoke doesn't cause health problems for folks in another unit in a multi-unit building I think this bill is a significant overreach.
Well yeah. That's kind of the whole point of the bill though isn't it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 05:15 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,367,768 times
This is not about "clean air" or "respecting the health of others".

What this is REALLY about is demonizing one class of people purely for sadistic pleasure because they are an easy target.

Nothing more.

I don't see anyone looking to ban big rig trucks. Or smoky old clunker cars. Or drive-through ATM's and burgers.

Or, what would happen if all smokers actually quit and where that lost tax revenue would come from.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:20 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,778,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post

What this is REALLY about is demonizing one class of people purely for sadistic pleasure because they are an easy target.

Nothing more.

I don't see anyone looking to ban big rig trucks. Or smoky old clunker cars. Or drive-through ATM's and burgers.

Or, what would happen if all smokers actually quit and where that lost tax revenue would come from.
Son, there's easier ways to demonize people. Just call em a demon. /shrug

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxpyZtzvTJ0

Old 03-06-2013, 08:31 PM

16,805 posts, read 40,184,456 times
Quote:

I don't see anyone looking to ban big rig trucks. Or smoky old clunker cars.
Form: Complaint Form for Smoking Vehicles

Old 03-06-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:

Nothing more.

As U.S. Cities Seek Healthy-Food Laws, States Fight Back - TIME
Mayor Bloomberg eyes junk food at hospitals for next NYC obesity measure - CBS News
Bans on School Junk Food Pay Off in California - NYTimes.com

Longer list available on request

Old 03-06-2013, 10:38 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,964,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Reserve what right? To irritate and endanger? Me, and the guys I served with did same as you for the paycheck, adventure and "life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness". At least two of which are threatened by second hand smoke. Smoke em if you got em but not around other peoples homes and work. You might also try taking a deep breath of fresh air when you get cranky.
Here's what you do. Take your hand...your GOOD hand. Hold it up, reach down into your waistband and feel around...there should be some balls down there. Good luck finding them

Old 03-06-2013, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
Here's what you do. Take your hand...your GOOD hand. Hold it up, reach down into your waistband and feel around...there should be some balls down there. Good luck finding them
Pretty sure you've been somewhere no one else has huh kid?

Old 03-06-2013, 10:53 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,964,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Pretty sure you've been somewhere no one else has huh kid?
Kid? I'm not your kid. You have no idea who or what I am, or how old I am. Don't let some words rattle or ego

No, I'm tired of people bitching about smokers as if WE are dirty or otherwise "immoral" people. There is an attitude problem among a lot of non-smokers that feel it's their duty to put down smokers as if they are making a difference in the world. They put this contrived guilt trip on us. It's bad enough that if I want to smoke I have to go stand in a little square outside somewhere as not to inconvenience people. Okay, I'll live with that. No problem there. But when people feel it's their duty to enforce that MOD CUT in my own home? You're high. I draw the line there. It's getting out of hand. If I want to smoke, it's my prerogative.

Last edited by NewToCA; 03-06-2013 at 11:22 PM.. Reason: language

Old 03-06-2013, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
Kid? I'm not your kid. You have no idea who or what I am, or how old I am. Don't let some words rattle or ego

No, I'm tired of people bitching about smokers as if WE are dirty or otherwise "immoral" people. There is an attitude problem among a lot of non-smokers that feel it's their duty to put down smokers as if they are making a difference in the world. They put this contrived guilt trip on us. It's bad enough that if I want to smoke I have to go stand in a little square outside somewhere as not to inconvenience people. Okay, I'll live with that. No problem there. But when people feel it's their duty to enforce that MOD CUT in my own home? You're high. I draw the line there. It's getting out of hand. If I want to smoke, it's my prerogative.
Your posts say you have recently been in the Army. What you write says you are highly defensive. Qualifies as kid to me. You likewise know nothing about me including that I smoked for years in the military. And I never called you immoral or put you down. I just said no, you don't get to smoke where people are ill effected by your actions. Your military service isn't unique and doesn't give you any right to be destructive.

Last edited by NewToCA; 03-06-2013 at 11:22 PM..

Old 03-06-2013, 11:24 PM

14,045 posts, read 27,359,506 times
Alright, let's get away from the personal stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California