Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 12:10 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,507,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Problem is, those who don't want to consider what you're saying simply disregard whatever links you post anyway so there's almost no point in doing so. Not saying you're one of those but on C-D that behaviour runs rampant.
I hear what .highnlite is saying and want to see the facts/data that back up his claims. I am not one of those people. Why would you go out your way and spend lots of time typing out a long post and not take 10 seconds to copy/paste a link to the data that backs your claims? I dont get there and there is no excuse IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 12:23 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,403,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
I hear what .highnlite is saying and want to see the facts/data that back up his claims. I am not one of those people. Why would you go out your way and spend lots of time typing out a long post and not take 10 seconds to copy/paste a link to the data that backs your claims? I dont get there and there is no excuse IMO.
Unfortunately, people make decisions based on their own opinions.

Old 04-30-2011, 12:46 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,689,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
Note .highnlite never posts links to data backing his ALWAYS-pro California unsupported claims... . We're all waiting for some data .highnlite..

One would think that a bright guy like you would understand all quotes are inherently linked.
One would also think that a bright guy like you would be familiar with Bloom's taxonomy.
One would also think that conservative are only comfortable with levels 1 and 2.

It is also important to note that California is not only a fine place, but it ranks number two in my hierarchy of great states to live in. #1 sure as hell ain't Texas.

Old 04-30-2011, 01:54 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,156,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
One would also think that conservative are only comfortable with levels 1 and 2

It is also important to note that California is not only a fine place, but it ranks number two in my hierarchy of great states to live in. #1 sure as hell ain't Texas.

Blah, blah, blah I'm a smug Californian blah, blah, blah I'm always right blah
Ok now, blabbering aside, lets post actual data and facts:

Unemployment

Quote:

California Unemployment rate: 12.3%

Texas: 8.1%

Source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Smartest states ranking 2006-2007

Quote:

California: 47 (Lmao)

Texas: 25

Source: Education State Rankings, 2006-2007.
Best places to live 2010 (cnn money)

Quote:
1.Eden Prairie, MN
2.Columbia/Ellicott City, MD
3.Newton, MA
4.Bellevue, WA
5.McKinney, TX
6.Fort Collins, CO
7.Overland Park, KS
8.Fishers, IN
9.Ames, IA
10. Rogers, AR
Wheres your "taxonomy" now? lol

Old 04-30-2011, 02:34 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,975,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Problem is, those who don't want to consider what you're saying simply disregard whatever links you post anyway so there's almost no point in doing so. Not saying you're one of those but on C-D that behaviour runs rampant.
If you link a credible source to back what you’re saying and someone does not want to accept it than it’s on them not you. The key is linking a credible source, non partisan, a source that all sides would trust.

.highnlife will try and rewrite history every chance he gets and never provides a good source. He is usually just trying to stir to pot for his own entertainment.

Old 04-30-2011, 03:11 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,689,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
If you link a credible source to back what you’re saying and someone does not want to accept it than it’s on them not you. The key is linking a credible source, non partisan, a source that all sides would trust.

.highnlife will try and rewrite history every chance he gets and never provides a good source. He is usually just trying to stir to pot for his own entertainment.
What a hoot, Do you poor guys need to be led by the hand? The link is there.

Baydude, one must infer from your post that you still do not understand what Bloom's taxonomy is, which is really strange, since it is self explanatory.

Baydude, if you want important facts, here

Wilderness, Texas -100,000 acres
Wilderness, California 6,000,000 acres.

Colleges in Texas 48
Colleges in California 211

How many ski areas in California 30
How many ski areas in Texas 0

How many National Parks in California 24
in Texas 13

How many National Forests in Texas 4

In California 20

Old 04-30-2011, 05:43 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,156,986 times
Quote:
since it is self explanatory.
No its not. Stop trying to seem smart. Your not.

Quote:
Baydude, if you want important facts, here

Wilderness, Texas -100,000 acres
Wilderness, California 6,000,000 acres.

Colleges in Texas 48
Colleges in California 211

How many ski areas in California 30
How many ski areas in Texas 0

How many National Parks in California 24
in Texas 13

How many National Forests in Texas 4
Why are you posting irrelevant stats on the wilderness, national forests, ski areas etc? What does that have anything to do with this?

Look, your contention was that:

a) Texans are dumber than Californians (which I disproved with data)

b) California is the #1 place to live (which I disproved with livability rankings data)

^ Now your posting irrelevancies because you can't address said points above.

Try again. Actually scratch that. Just give up while your ahead. Your fast losing credibility with your obvious bias and irrelevant nonsense.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:02 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,403,081 times
Quote:
Stop trying to seem smart. Your not
Y O U ' R E
I love when people make this mistake when they're attempting to tell someone else they're not smart.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:19 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,190,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
No, I think your sources show that kids in Texas are better at multiple choice tests, which are not an indicator of anything except lower level thinking skills.
Texas kids may indeed have scored better on the tests referenced by that site. However these results do NOT show that California K-12 kids are superior in other measures.

Your anecdotes are no more credible than any I might come up with. They are statistically insignificant.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:13 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,148,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post
No its not. Stop trying to seem smart. Your not.

Why are you posting irrelevant stats on the wilderness, national forests, ski areas etc? What does that have anything to do with this?

Look, your contention was that:

a) Texans are dumber than Californians (which I disproved with data)

b) California is the #1 place to live (which I disproved with livability rankings data)

^ Now your posting irrelevancies because you can't address said points above.

Try again. Actually scratch that. Just give up while your ahead. Your fast losing credibility with your obvious bias and irrelevant nonsense.
Your level of proof (or disproof) is quite a bit lighter than most.

This whole thing is pointless, some prefer Texas, some California. I assume people live in the state they prefer.

As an aside, I would be very surprised if anyone in Texas find McKinney the best place to live in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California