Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 07:33 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,560,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Those jobs didn't move to Texas- they moved to AUSTIN!

Kidding aside, yeah, Texas is an attractive site for US corporations, what with "tax incentives" (bribes), non-existant environmental regulations, non-existant employee safety standards, none of them pesky unions to cause problems for everybody. Good for the ol' bottom line, I guess. So long as you don't care about anyone or anything else.
Pretty much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 07:40 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,523,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Wait until they check out the schools they will be sending their kids to. In five years they will be trying to get back to where the action is
Oh you mean California which has some of the worst schools in the U.S...yeah, lots of action here :
Public schools: Is California's middle class heading for the exits? - San Jose Mercury News

Old 04-28-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
Apple is buying HP's site in Cupertino. I think they are also very intent on hiring. And HP is one of the companies leasing the new space in San Jose. Is that "dumb money" too? How about Cisco? Or any of the other names in the WSJ article?

Some of you are so damn intent on putting down California you can't see through your own biases about "taxes" and "regulations" and all the other evils that California is supposedly known for.

How much of Texas' growth is based on the "energy bubble"? I mean energy has never had a bubble, right? (ahem, see 1980s Texas).

edit: *Oh yeah I work for one of the largest tech companies in the world
Intent .. or are hiring .. I know several friends at apple.. they aren't doing any massive hiring anytime soon... which is not dumb money .. which is why they aren't hiring w/o a purpose/reason unlike others in the space.
Cisco .. cisco just slammed shut the whole Flip development group.. laid off 550 people (which was dumb money.. they paid ~$535 million for some company that was ran out of an office space above a resteraunt in SF).. In the previous year they laid off 5,000 people ... and cisco missed earnings 3 quarters in a row ...

List out some other names and I'll be sure to give you the cliff notes.
And Oh yeah, I work for one of the largest tech companies in the world...

One of most significant note is apple which only has around 32-33k employees.. There's a reason why they have one of the biggest market caps in the tech arena and why they just overtook Microsoft on revenue.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
When you say tech are you talking information technology or the technology industry? I work in new technology development and insertion but I'm talking about hardware and software including faster better integrated circuit design and wafer processing technology.
I meant tech industry .. and yes, you work in the area I inquired about.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Those jobs didn't move to Texas- they moved to AUSTIN!

Kidding aside, yeah, Texas is an attractive site for US corporations, what with "tax incentives" (bribes), non-existant environmental regulations, non-existant employee safety standards, none of them pesky unions to cause problems for everybody. Good for the ol' bottom line, I guess. So long as you don't care about anyone or anything else.
Spoken like a smug Californian.. It's a big world outside of this state.. Sometimes I feel people outside of California are more worldly than those in it w/ statements like these.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:56 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,554,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
Intent .. or are hiring .. I know several friends at apple.. they aren't doing any massive hiring anytime soon... which is not dumb money .. which is why they aren't hiring w/o a purpose/reason unlike others in the space.
Cisco .. cisco just slammed shut the whole Flip development group.. laid off 550 people (which was dumb money.. they paid ~$535 million for some company that was ran out of an office space above a resteraunt in SF).. In the previous year they laid off 5,000 people ... and cisco missed earnings 3 quarters in a row ...

List out some other names and I'll be sure to give you the cliff notes.
And Oh yeah, I work for one of the largest tech companies in the world...

One of most significant note is apple which only has around 32-33k employees.. There's a reason why they have one of the biggest market caps in the tech arena and why they just overtook Microsoft on revenue.
So any comment that Texas may be facing an energy "bubble" like you are saying Silicon Valley is with Google, Facebook, etc? Or is it when California does well, it is a "bubble", but when Texas does well, it is "strong foundational growth" or whatever the hell you are trying to say.

Yeah, I know enough about the tech industry. No need to give me the Cliff's Notes.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:08 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,750,093 times
Quote:
Spoken like a smug Californian.. It's a big world outside of this state.. Sometimes I feel people outside of California are more worldly than those in it w/ statements like these.

Speaking of people in California.......

Old 04-28-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
So any comment that Texas may be facing an energy "bubble" like you are saying Silicon Valley is with Google, Facebook, etc? Or is it when California does well, it is a "bubble", but when Texas does well, it is "strong foundational growth" or whatever the hell you are trying to say.

Yeah, I know enough about the tech industry. No need to give me the Cliff's Notes.

Who gives a rats arse about Texas. I'm not from there and most probably wont end up there. As for the energy bubble, you're free to post information about it as i have about CA's social media bubble .. So wtvr the hell you are not trying to say.. I note you're not responding at all after trumpeting Cisco amongst others in your post only to find they are laying off and missing earnings....

You work in the tech industry and industry that's global.. Not home to California ... If you kept your eyes open at work, you'd notice that.

How the Social Tech Bubble Is Different - Slashdot
You Can Stop the Social Media Hype: Online Collaboration «
Can We Avoid Another Internet Bubble?: Tech News and Analysis «
We’re In The Middle Of A Terrible Blubble!

Old 04-28-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Speaking of people in California.......
Speaking of people like me... who live in California...who are not from California originally ... who have traveled the U.S and the world .. and have seen the beauty of many places... and know everything that is great doesn't just come from California but can originate anywhere in the world... Who don't feel it is efficient, worthwhile, or busy savy for the U.S or the world to keep trying to ram people into California ... So, speaking of...

Old 04-28-2011, 11:19 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,554,384 times
Quote:
Who gives a rats arse about Texas. I'm not from there and most probably wont end up there. As for the energy bubble, you're free to post information about it as i have about CA's social media bubble .. So wtvr the hell you are not trying to say.. I note you're not responding at all after trumpeting Cisco amongst others in your post only to find they are laying off and missing earnings....

You work in the tech industry and industry that's global.. Not home to California ... If you kept your eyes open at work, you'd notice that.

How the Social Tech Bubble Is Different - Slashdot
You Can Stop the Social Media Hype: Online Collaboration «
Can We Avoid Another Internet Bubble?: Tech News and Analysis «
We’re In The Middle Of A Terrible Blubble!

Wow, a bunch of online opinion blogs that you are parroting. That's real deep "analysis".

And it wasn't ME trumpeting Cisco, it was the WALL STREET JOURNAL talking about how Cisco, HP, Google and other tech companies are snapping up office space in Silicon Valley as they expand.

So, to reiterate: When eBay expands in Texas it means California sucks. But when these other tech companies expand in California, they are all just in a bubble. Right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California