Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 12:12 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,407,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Do you understand evolution ? Do you understand the many aspects of it that are still a theory and parts that are proven? Do you fully appreciate the long time period in which it it takes to manifest any observable change?
Some aspects of evolution such as speciation may happen more quickly, especially when a population becomes isolated from a "parent" population. Some species of birds have started showing changes from the populations where they came in as little as 15-20 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 12:20 PM

474 posts, read 905,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
I wish Texas well, I encourage people to leave California for the great opportunities in Texas, but I do advise homeschooling your children if you move there.

This was a great state with 5 million people in it.
What do you advise for Californians since the K-12 schools are worse than Texas'?

Old 04-29-2011, 12:39 PM

37 posts, read 142,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
Hear no evil. So no evil ....
No...it's glass half-full vs. glass half-empty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
It's not doom-and-gloom. It's the realistic economic environment .. Optimism doesn't get work done ... bills paid ... creativity isn't always valued the same by others....
Realism and optimism are not mutually exclusive. Hard work and creativity aren't mutually exclusive.

I wish you well, yeahthatguy.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:48 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,507,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natt View Post
No...it's glass half-full vs. glass half-empty.

Realism and optimism are not mutually exclusive. Hard work and creativity aren't mutually exclusive. I wish you well, yeahthatguy.
It kind of is not (doom and gloom) ... You are being given information about things that are actually happening and the reasons why. In this case, You either acknowledge it is happening or not. Realism and optimism ofc are not mutually exclusive. However, optimism as well as pessimism many times cause people to not see Reality clearly. Creativity is not equally valued by all as it is the beholder. People are already having to work harder due to the current economic conditions ... Some places put extra stress .... People are potentially already being creative and as hard working as they can be .. You're a human being... Humans have limits... As far as Californian's go .. A good number aren't originally from here.... So I am confused about the attributes you apply as Californian's. That's all that was said. I wish you well too

Old 04-29-2011, 12:50 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,507,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznblues View Post
What do you advise for Californians since the K-12 schools are worse than Texas'?
LOL ... Nice catch on .highnlite's one way comments jazznblues. It seems monied Californian's are already seeing what they have to do :
Public schools: Is California's middle class heading for the exits? - San Jose Mercury News
bwahahha

Old 04-29-2011, 01:18 PM

17,403 posts, read 11,988,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Still wondering how a state that doesn't believe in evolution will be on top technically.
How do you orbit a flat earth?
Since states can't believe in anything, and one thought does not cover every person in that state, this comment is about as ridiculous as it sounds.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:21 PM

17,403 posts, read 11,988,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natt View Post
I don't buy the doom-and-gloom predictions for California, I don't care what anyone says. They don't give Californians enough credit for their determination, creativity, adaptability and optimism. I love California.
I used to think that too, and probably stayed longer than I should have waiting for people to come to their senses. But sadly, the rot has taken over the state to the point that, even if it ever does come back, it will take a very long time.

The thing making it worse is that those Californians that have determination, creativity and adaptability are the ones fleeing the state. Only the ones whose livelihoods rely on entitlements are the ones staying put.

I understand wanting to believe things aren't as bad as they say in CA, but I've seen both worlds. And it's the difference between night and day.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:18 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,621,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post

The thing making it worse is that those Californians that have determination, creativity and adaptability are the ones fleeing the state. Only the ones whose livelihoods rely on entitlements are the ones staying put.
That's not necessarily true anymore. CA exports plenty of its human trash of all races and ethnicities.

IMO the productive, determined people from CA tend to go to the PNW and the scum of CA tends to go to NV and AZ (which face similar problems as California's).

As for whether CA has a future: I think Northern California has a future and can adapt, I'm not so sure about Southern California though (despite having recently moved back from NorCal to SoCal). Water will eventually dwarf all other issues and for that reason SoCal's future doesn't look bright (nor does that of the sunbelt as a whole)

Old 04-29-2011, 02:25 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,691,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznblues View Post
Let me tell you a story. I bid a job recently, last fall actually. It was a family just moved here from Dallas. They have two kids in elementary school, and lived in one of the upscale Dallas neighborhoods with one of the "best" schools in Dallas.

They were concerned about the quality of schools here, and were worried that their kids would not get a good education.
But, the job offer here was too good to pass up.
They left Dallas Texas and came to our little village and enrolled their kids in the public school. One of two elementary schools in the town, this one down on the flats with a mix of middle class lower class (read farm worker kids).

Within two months their kids were both in danger of flunking, they were so far behind the California students.

85% of the graduates from our local high school go on to college. My own daughter, as I never tire of repeating had 5 AP classes her senior year. On the National AP exam she aced the calculus test and got 4's on the others.

This, from public school teachers, and a public high school.

I, a simple mulero have 3 kids in University, one from one high school the other two from a small school in the Sierra Nevada. Two go to State Universities, one goes to UC Davis. They were able to do this because of the quality of the California Public School system.

Now, those who know Texas schools, know what happened to them. I suggest you check out Ross Perot to figure out what happened to Texas Schools.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:30 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,407,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
That's not necessarily true anymore. CA exports plenty of its human trash of all races and ethnicities.

IMO the productive, determined people from CA tend to go to the PNW and the scum of CA tends to go to NV and AZ (which face similar problems as California's).

As for whether CA has a future: I think Northern California has a future and can adapt, I'm not so sure about Southern California though (despite having recently moved back from NorCal to SoCal). Water will eventually dwarf all other issues and for that reason SoCal's future doesn't look bright (nor does that of the sunbelt as a whole)
I'm glad you said this because I'd always sort of thought the same thing but figured it was just me. SoCal really has more people than what can be sustained for too much longer and water really is the main issue. I also agree that the PNW has attracted a lot of the more creative people from Ca. Looking at it stritctly from an artistic POV (me being a musician and photographer), I've personally seen the shift in that direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California