Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 09:20 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,526,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Perhaps you did not understand what he said.
If your pride causes you to lie, deny fact, deny clearly observable trends, mis-attribute ownership, overstate scope, deny reality ..

that is what is called : excessive pride (SMUG)
and it's anything but subjective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 09:21 PM

474 posts, read 909,788 times
Quote:
Let me tell you a story. I bid a job recently, last fall actually. It was a family just moved here from Dallas. They have two kids in elementary school, and lived in one of the upscale Dallas neighborhoods with one of the "best" schools in Dallas.

They were concerned about the quality of schools here, and were worried that their kids would not get a good education.
But, the job offer here was too good to pass up.
They left Dallas Texas and came to our little village and enrolled their kids in the public school. One of two elementary schools in the town, this one down on the flats with a mix of middle class lower class (read farm worker kids).

Within two months their kids were both in danger of flunking, they were so far behind the California students.

85% of the graduates from our local high school go on to college. My own daughter, as I never tire of repeating had 5 AP classes her senior year. On the National AP exam she aced the calculus test and got 4's on the others.

This, from public school teachers, and a public high school.

I, a simple mulero have 3 kids in University, one from one high school the other two from a small school in the Sierra Nevada. Two go to State Universities, one goes to UC Davis. They were able to do this because of the quality of the California Public School system.

Now, those who know Texas schools, know what happened to them. I suggest you check out Ross Perot to figure out what happened to Texas Schools.
How is your story meaningful on a larger scale? National statistics from a variety of sources show that California's K-12 schools are challenged and their students perform worse than kids from Texas. Your example of kids from one family in Dallas is insignificant. It is no more relevant than my three kids, all educated by public schools in Austin, two in college now, and one with one year of high school to go. My son was one of 25 accepted to Rice's college of architecture. But that doesn't prove my kids' schools were better than yours nor does your story prove that one school district in Dallas isn't good.

The Nations' Report Card is a good place to start if you want to find data across the US.

The Nation's Report Card - National Assessment of Educational Progress - NAEP

Old 04-29-2011, 10:37 PM

15,087 posts, read 13,525,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
I work in the industry. I listen to CEOs in conference calls. They are concerned with the deficit issue in California. They are concerned with the future direction of taxation. They are concerned with the cost of operation here and they are strategically located in lower cost centers (ALL OF THEM).
It just so happens that I work in "the industry", too - specifically in the FP&A command center of a large software company you've surely heard of. I know very well that California has problems, but I also know that the real low cost centers are not in Texas. They're overseas.

Last edited by ambient; 04-29-2011 at 10:50 PM..

Old 04-30-2011, 07:58 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,759,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznblues View Post
How is your story meaningful on a larger scale? National statistics from a variety of sources show that California's K-12 schools are challenged and their students perform worse than kids from Texas. Your example of kids from one family in Dallas is insignificant. It is no more relevant than my three kids, all educated by public schools in Austin, two in college now, and one with one year of high school to go. My son was one of 25 accepted to Rice's college of architecture. But that doesn't prove my kids' schools were better than yours nor does your story prove that one school district in Dallas isn't good.

The Nations' Report Card is a good place to start if you want to find data across the US.

The Nation's Report Card - National Assessment of Educational Progress - NAEP

No, I think your sources show that kids in Texas are better at multiple choice tests, which are not an indicator of anything except lower level thinking skills.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:25 AM

1,054 posts, read 2,165,960 times
Quote:
No, I think your sources show that kids in Texas are better at multiple choice tests, which are not an indicator of anything except lower level thinking skills.
Since Californians scored lower by that same measure, what does that say for them then?

Lmao.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:31 AM

5,113 posts, read 6,010,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post
Since Californians scored lower by that same measure, what does that say for them then?

Lmao.
In LA county, you would be lucky to find a K-12 classroom that was not majority Hispanic with the teacher speaking Spanish

Old 04-30-2011, 11:08 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,574,042 times
Quote:
that was not majority Hispanic
Not an issue
Quote:
with the teacher speaking Spanish
But I'll agree that this is.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:52 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,759,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post

Lmao.

That they are educated and learned to think instead of learning to pass a multiple choice test.

You probably aren't familiar with Blooms Taxonomy, which is why you asked that question.

Here it is; Now, only 1 and 2 can be measured by a multiple choice test, the standardized test that schools are evaluated by. These are the lowest forms of learning. And apparently what Texas schools do well.

But, it is the higher levels that make a sound education, in most areas where NCLB is applied the higher level thinking skills are dumped in favor of the tested lower level thinking skills. You can think of it as making kids dumb.

California schools are doing better at higher level thinking skills.

Quote:
1. Knowledge (Remembering previously learned material)

Educational Psychology: Give the definition of punishment.

Mathematics: State the formula for the area of a circle.

English / Language Arts: Recite a poem.

2. Comprehension (Grasping the meaning of material)

Educational Psychology: Paraphrase in your own words the definition of punishment; answer questions about the meaning of punishment.

Mathematics: Given the mathematical formula for the area of a circle, paraphrase it using your own words.

English / Language Arts: Explain what a poem means.

3. Application (Using information in concrete situations)

Educational Psychology: Given an anecdote describing a teaching situation, identify examples of punishment.
Mathematics: Compute the area of actual circles.

English / Language Arts: Identify examples of metaphors in a poem.

4. Analysis (Breaking down material into parts)

Educational Psychology: Given an anecdote describing a teaching situation, identify the psychological strategies intentionally or accidentally employed.
Mathematics: Given a math word problem, determine the strategies that would be necessary to solve it.

English / Language Arts: Given a poem, identify the specific poetic strategies employed in it.

5. Synthesis (Putting parts together into a whole)

Educational Psychology: Apply the strategies learned in educational psychology in an organized manner to solve an educational problem.

Mathematics: Apply and integrate several different strategies to solve a mathematical problem.

English / Language Arts: Write an essay or a poem.

6. Evaluation (Judging the value of a product for a given purpose, using definite criteria)

Educational Psychology: Observe another teacher (or yourself) and determine the quality of the teaching performance in terms of the teacher's appropriate application of principles of educational psychology.

Mathematics: When you have finished solving a problem (or when a peer has done so) determine the degree to which that problem was solved as efficiently as possible.

English / Language Arts: Analyze your own or a peer's essay in terms of the principles of composition discussed during the semester.
You may indeed LMAO, but that is only because you applied lower level thinking skills to the problem..... LMAO

Old 04-30-2011, 11:58 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,526,256 times
Quote:
That they are educated and learned to think instead of learning to pass a multiple choice test.

You probably aren't familiar with Blooms Taxonomy, which is why you asked that question.

Here it is; Now, only 1 and 2 can be measured by a multiple choice test, the standardized test that schools are evaluated by. These are the lowest forms of learning. And apparently what Texas schools do well.

But, it is the higher levels that make a sound education, in most areas where NCLB is applied the higher level thinking skills are dumped in favor of the tested lower level thinking skills. You can think of it as making kids dumb.

California schools are doing better at higher level thinking skills.

You may indeed LMAO, but that is only because you applied lower level thinking skills to the problem..... LMAO
Note .highnlite never posts links to data backing his ALWAYS-pro California unsupported claims... . We're all waiting for some data .highnlite..

Old 04-30-2011, 12:03 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,574,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
Note .highnlite never posts links to data backing his ALWAYS-pro California unsupported claims... . We're all waiting for some data .highnlite..
Problem is, those who don't want to consider what you're saying simply disregard whatever links you post anyway so there's almost no point in doing so. Not saying you're one of those but on C-D that behaviour runs rampant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California