Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 12:49 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,155,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Where the hell did you learn math?
California is losing jobs (1000) while Texas is gaining those said jobs. Or am I missing something? Then you post some strawman about Google adding 1900 jobs. They still lost out 1000 to Texas lol. Ok maybe a net gain of 900 now. Woohoo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 12:49 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,409,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Did anyone actually read the article?. These jobs are being moved to Texas in return for tax incentives, other words the taxpayers of Texas are subsidizing them. Typical giant-corporation BS. In poverty-stricken South Carolina,Amazon, that wonderful company, is threatening the state government that they will kill 1000 jobs if they aren't give tax breaks to their liking. Despicable.
Yes we read the article, it's more crony capitalism. What's new? California does the same ****.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:52 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,409,349 times
HEY GUYS, HOW ABOUT ANOTHER CALIFORNIA VS. TEXAS THREAD?

"shut up n00b, my way more better"

"nuh-uh, my way better"

"NO MAI WAY IS TEH BEST, UR WAY IS TEH CRAPPIEST!1!!111SHIFTONE!!!1111"

"OH YEAH?!"

"YEAH!"

**SWORDFIGHT, SWORDFIGHT!**

Last edited by ZhugeLiang; 04-28-2011 at 01:05 PM..

Old 04-28-2011, 01:01 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,679,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by native56 View Post
Unemployment rate Texas 8.1%

Unemployment rate CA 12.0%
Texas is a much better state in every way, why are you still in California?

Old 04-28-2011, 04:38 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,969,784 times
California is planning to increase taxes on the people and companies and other states like Texas see the growth opportunity and are making a wise investment for their future. California is shooting itself in the foot yet again.
Down the tubes we go!

Old 04-28-2011, 06:32 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,504,707 times
Just curious how many people here work in tech or are familiar w/ the industry.... I see alot of people posting links about google this and facebook that .. but w/o understanding that whole sector : cloud computing/social media is in a bubble, I don't think you are fully appreciating the rapid and short lived expansion run it will have.

Anyone recall 2001 in the bay area? I would take long lasting tech jobs / real jobs any day over the bubble occurring in the bay area due to excess capital floating around (dumb money) .

Google recently got slammed on earnings due to their rapid and expensive headcount expansion for the sake of expanding. Wake me up when Apple goes on a hiring spree.. they are a much more disciplined company when it comes to opex.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:00 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,386,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Keep that positive outlook Moonbeamers. Your choice in Governement leaders continues to payoff. For Texas.

Texas snatches 1,000 high-paying eBay jobs from California - San Diego County Political Buzz | Examiner.com
Those jobs didn't move to Texas- they moved to AUSTIN!

Kidding aside, yeah, Texas is an attractive site for US corporations, what with "tax incentives" (bribes), non-existant environmental regulations, non-existant employee safety standards, none of them pesky unions to cause problems for everybody. Good for the ol' bottom line, I guess. So long as you don't care about anyone or anything else.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:14 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Wait until they check out the schools they will be sending their kids to. In five years they will be trying to get back to where the action is

Old 04-28-2011, 07:23 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,538,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
Just curious how many people here work in tech or are familiar w/ the industry.... I see alot of people posting links about google this and facebook that .. but w/o understanding that whole sector : cloud computing/social media is in a bubble, I don't think you are fully appreciating the rapid and short lived expansion run it will have.

Anyone recall 2001 in the bay area? I would take long lasting tech jobs / real jobs any day over the bubble occurring in the bay area due to excess capital floating around (dumb money) .

Google recently got slammed on earnings due to their rapid and expensive headcount expansion for the sake of expanding. Wake me up when Apple goes on a hiring spree.. they are a much more disciplined company when it comes to opex.
Apple is buying HP's site in Cupertino. I think they are also very intent on hiring. And HP is one of the companies leasing the new space in San Jose. Is that "dumb money" too? How about Cisco? Or any of the other names in the WSJ article?

Some of you are so damn intent on putting down California you can't see through your own biases about "taxes" and "regulations" and all the other evils that California is supposedly known for.

How much of Texas' growth is based on the "energy bubble"? I mean energy has never had a bubble, right? (ahem, see 1980s Texas).

edit: *Oh yeah I work for one of the largest tech companies in the world

Old 04-28-2011, 07:31 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,969,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
When you say tech are you talking information technology or the technology industry? I work in new technology development and insertion but I'm talking about hardware and software including faster better integrated circuit design and wafer processing technology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California