Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2015, 06:11 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,320,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
I'm not sure who "they" is who "ruined" Roslindale. Would that be the yuppie families priced out of JP, the Greek-American households (re)discovering it, the same-sex (mainly lesbian) couples also with a non-JP budget, or the empty nesters seeking an urban yet quiet environment? Something tells me the poster is feeling right at home in California, where all kinds of "thems" are "taking over" to the point where his presumed skin tone is outnumbered. SMH
Right I don't think roslindale is ruined by any means. It's basically on its way to being the next JP. Thats why investing in a place like hyde park is not a bad idea. People are already priced our of w. Roxbury, roslindale is going that way. Next in line is HP. People are way more likely to choose HP over mattapan or roxbury
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 09:57 AM

87 posts, read 139,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
I'm not sure who "they" is who "ruined" Roslindale. Would that be the yuppie families priced out of JP, the Greek-American households (re)discovering it, the same-sex (mainly lesbian) couples also with a non-JP budget, or the empty nesters seeking an urban yet quiet environment? Something tells me the poster is feeling right at home in California, where all kinds of "thems" are "taking over" to the point where his presumed skin tone is outnumbered. SMH
All I can say is that for someone who grew up in that corner of Boston and used to hang out there it is not the same. It's dirty, ghetto and dingy looks like Roxbury. Yes the poor ghetto ruined it yes they did absolutely. I wasn't even born in this country everyone here is a "them" but yes i do love California. I don't know about Greeks but even if the didn't move in the fact that a bunch of yuppies from JP probably would've ruined it in a different way the way Southie and Charlestown just a different kind of ruin. Probably the only intact parts of Boston are Neponset and Westie. Roz used to be safe working class irish and Italian and now it feels ghetto Caribbean I didn't see any yuppies but I'm not surprised. So yeah they ruined it

If you're insinuating I'm a racist im not I just don't like how the city of Boston has turned out and I don't like thugs.

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-20-2015 at 11:02 AM..

Old 05-14-2015, 11:05 AM

Roslindale has improved quite a bit. Maybe you've been in CA too long to realize it.

Hipsters seem to be replacing yuppies in this city.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:49 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Roslindsle is cool. It is not ghetto and dirty. Its an authentically mixed neighborhood. Honestly not many Haitians, mostly Dominicans, ex JP residents, Greeks and black Americans . Its Dingy because its Boston south of South End...its basically all somewhat dingy. It has some crime andfewfome tenements/subsidized units. But its mostly middle class and lower middle class people in two family's. People have small yards and backyards. Mix of public and private school kids. I like Roslindsale. Just cause the area closer to HP and American legion highway is crappy (ill give you that..Roslindsle near American legion and Cummins highway is genuinely rundown and underdeveloped) doesn't really bring down the whole neighborhood.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:09 AM

Even parts of JP, southie, south end and even back bay are 'dingy'. It's the city, lots of people around. It's not always going to look shiny and pristine.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:23 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,940,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass hole in Cali View Post
All I can say is that for someone who grew up in that corner of Boston and used to hang out there it is not the same. It's dirty, ghetto and dingy looks like Roxbury. Yes the poor ghetto ruined it yes they did absolutely. I wasn't even born in this country everyone here is a "them" but yes i do love California. I don't know about Greeks but even if the didn't move in the fact that a bunch of yuppies from JP probably would've ruined it in a different way the way Southie and Charlestown just a different kind of ruin. Probably the only intact parts of Boston are Neponset and Westie. Roz used to be safe working class irish and Italian and now it feels ghetto Caribbean I didn't see any yuppies but I'm not surprised. So yeah they ruined it

If you're insinuating I'm a racist im not I just don't like how the city of Boston has turned out and I don't like thugs.

Huh

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-20-2015 at 10:59 AM..

Old 05-15-2015, 08:30 AM

*sigh* at thug being a racist word

Old 05-16-2015, 03:21 PM

605 posts, read 1,165,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass hole in Cali View Post

You're not racist you just feel everything is ruined by a) the presence of poor people You're not racist you just think the neighborhood is better when mostly only white people live there then when some black and latino people live there too. Why can't the neighborhood be working-class instead of poor-poor

"in tact"

"in tact"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"I only like when things don't change at all."

Also, West Roxbury has/is changing a lot. It's a lot more diverse nowadays. Ain't cha daddy's Westie kiddo.

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-20-2015 at 11:00 AM..

Old 05-16-2015, 05:09 PM

Westie is still quite white. quincy seems to have more black people these days as does milton.

Old 05-16-2015, 06:17 PM

5,788 posts, read 5,101,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitofEndearment View Post
You're not racist you just feel everything is ruined by a) the presence of poor people and . You're not racist you just think the neighborhood is better when mostly only white people live there then when some black and latino people live there too. Why can't the neighborhood be working-class instead of poor-poor

"in tact"

"in tact"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"I only like when things don't change at all."

Also, West Roxbury has/is changing a lot. It's a lot more diverse nowadays. Ain't cha daddy's Westie kiddo.
Also, go read up on American racial history and you'd know that the Irish were actually not even considered "white" and acceptable by the WASP protestants who dominated much of the east coast communities as late as the 1930's and 1940's. The WASP (White Anglo-Saxon Protestants) were the "proper" Americans who saw the "depraved" Irish catholics as sick, morally degenerates much like m******* see the today. The Irish were blamed for crimes, filth, gambling, fights, drunkenness and poverty....sound familiar?

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-20-2015 at 11:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston