Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2011, 11:13 AM

24 posts, read 87,696 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to purchase a home and found someplace I may go see on Truman Highway in Hyde Park. Can anyone tell me what this area is like? Safety? Amenities?

The area in question is between Dana Ave and Fairmount Ave.

Thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 01:10 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,443,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boston999 View Post
I'm looking to purchase a home and found someplace I may go see on Truman Highway in Hyde Park. Can anyone tell me what this area is like? Safety? Amenities?

Thanks!!!!
Thats a screwy area, It goes back and forth quickly. It's a a weird point which kinda separates whats left of "nice" Hyde Park vs "Current" HP, From Dana back towards the square is terrible, Heading from Truman up Dana is nice for a couple blocks, but then goes to crap because your getting closer to the projects. A block to the left is nice heading up Fairmount is nice, again unless you go TO far up because of the projects. To the left Beacon is nice because your getting closer to Milton. You'd have to see the house and do a little driving around to see what you personally think. I lived in HP a long time ago, and then again 3 years ago. I would not move back. Although there are some nice neighborhoods left HP's has consistently been going down hill for years.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:33 PM

1,202 posts, read 2,681,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boston999 View Post

Thanks!!!!
I looked on Google Maps, because I'm not too familiar with that part of Hyde Park, but it looks butt ugly to me, with the "charming" and ubiquitous chain link fences that I love sooo much about Boston.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:15 PM

2,955 posts, read 5,238,803 times
I lived off Truman in 1990 for a few months...didn't even know a housing project was at the end of the street because I never went up that way until I drove back in the area years later. Never had a problem in my temp stay there.

Seems that Cleary Square has improved a bit since and does look better. It's famous for Ron's homemade ice cream, within a bowling alley. I think Hillary Clinton stopped in for ice cream years ago, and her picture of that visit is on display there?

About 5 years ago, Tedeschi's conv. store was the site of a multiple-shooting incident, right near the police station.

I don't like that Truman Highway is so close to River St. (a long avenue cutting across Dot, Mattapan and Hyde Park). Let's see a tourist traverse that and exclaim how beautiful, cultured and historic Beantown is! Umm...not so nice, and it's "as "real Boston" in a way as the same stretch of miles from North End to Beacon Hill and Back Bay.

Hyde Park Ave. is not so bad; but too much graffiti on the storefronts. Don't the owners hsve any pride?

The Metro daily freebie has often showed an ad for converted lofts in some part of Hyde Park...as if yuppies and artists would really think of living there.

But I don't find most parts of HP to be that bad at all, at least driving through. Maybe living there is a different story.

Oh, and I do recall a Globe delivety driver in the Stop and Shop parking lot on Truman being robbed and taped up in his vrhicle at 3 am. About 5 yrs. ago?

But there's all types of weird crap going on in Quincy where I've rented since '04...but I don't know about it unless/until I glance at the Patriot Ledger, sometimes days later. And even then, it hasn't caused me to flee Quincy.

It all probably depends upon one's tolerance level for certain things in each community.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:38 PM

110 posts, read 550,231 times
I lived in Hyde Park for 3 years. Most of it is fine. However it doesn't offer the things most people seek when they move to Boston. It's further out then the rest of the city. Several suburbs are even closer to downtown. The stores in Clearly Square aren't that great. But you can get a decent house for a good price. The areas to avoid are north of West Street between River and Hyde Park Ave.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:47 AM

546 posts, read 1,383,861 times
Hyde Park born and rasied here. Good assesment of the area Snatale, as I grew up towards the Mattapan end. I do find that area on the improving side of Boston. That area was always a desired part of the city, then became less in recent years. It is now on the upswing again. I recomend spending alot of time in the area at different times. Weekend nights, morning and afternoon traffic etc.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:43 PM

1,202 posts, read 2,681,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lanata View Post
That area was always a desired part of the city, then became less in recent years.
Must be those desirable chain-link fences! LOL! I just love it when these old threads get revived. I'd completely forgotten about this.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:29 PM

110 posts, read 550,231 times
The Fairmount area has some great houses. While there is public housing towards the back of the neighborhood so to speak, there also is the police academy. I see the cadets running many mornings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston