Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2015, 09:27 AM

728 posts, read 974,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
'I agree that this could turn out bad but it could also just be a more compact version of Georgetowne.'

Well Georgetown is mainly section 8 isnt it? I was under the impression this thing they're building wont be that.

I also saw that Za recently got a liquor license as did the owner who wants to put in that new italian restaurant where the hyde used to be. Both good. I just dont know why they picked hyde park of all places for this affordable housing thing. Why no pick JP or south boston? Somewhere close to the city seems like it would make more sense. Hyde park is already kind of in the ****ter. I hate to say it but putting together a bunch of low income people in one place is not good. Of course these lower income people could be teachers, EMTs, social workers...but i doubt it.
Precisely. But lets be honest. They would never give the prime real estate over in Southie/JP/SouEnd to "affordable" housing.

I swear Boston is becoming more "Euro" in the sense that it will be pretty much impossible for lower class folks to live within the city center.

I had this debate the other day with someone who was suggesting the we should build "Towers" of apartments for lower income individuals in Mattapan. Putting "tenements" (because really, that's what we'd be getting) in already lower income areas is dumb. No other way to put it.

Placing disadvantaged people next to people who were already disadvantaged will only breed resentment and cause conflict.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 09:54 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,320,773 times
'They would never give the prime real estate over in Southie/JP/SouEnd to "affordable" housing'

Well there's quite a bit of it in the south end. After all that's where the pine st inn is along with that meth clinic, There are beautiful brownstones in the south end near boston medical center that are all section 8. It's pretty ridiculous. I get that poor people need a place to live, but does it really need to be in a brownstone. haha. Someone else would PAY a lot for that (a dr working at BMC perhaps) but boston is giving it away while building other un-affordable for most luxury condos.

'I swear Boston is becoming more "Euro" in the sense that it will be pretty much impossible for lower class folks to live within the city center.'

The way i'm seeing it is it's becoming a place for the rich or the poor-no middle class.

'Placing disadvantaged people next to people who were already disadvantaged will only breed resentment and cause conflict.'

yes i've read this as well. There are parts of southie that arent great that yuppies dont want to live near-by the projects and by andrew station.

The thing about hyde park is the area they are looking to put them in (fairmount) is one of the nice sections of hyde park. Are they trying to make the whole place nasty?

Old 04-02-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Well there's quite a bit of it in the south end. After all that's where the pine st inn is along with that meth clinic, There are beautiful brownstones in the south end near boston medical center that are all section 8. It's pretty ridiculous. I get that poor people need a place to live, but does it really need to be in a brownstone. haha. Someone else would PAY a lot for that (a dr working at BMC perhaps) but boston is giving it away while building other un-affordable for most luxury condos.
No doubt, but look at the crime stats. The area around Cathedral is much safer nowadays, not to mention how bad Orchard Park (Garden, nowadays) used to be before the gentrification of South End/Melnea Cass.

Quote:
The thing about hyde park is the area they are looking to put them in (fairmount) is one of the nice sections of hyde park. Are they trying to make the whole place nasty?
I think they're trying to diversify the housing stock. Most houses in that area are single family, I believe.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:29 AM

Default re

'I think they're trying to diversify the housing stock. Most houses in that area are single family, I believe.'

I think most home owners are not happy about this. They already own homes there and the neighborhood has gone down hill. It's actually fairly cheap to buy a house there. You can get one for 275k-300k. I just dont understand why they're choosing to do more low income housing in this location. It would have been better if the housing was similar to what saving hill is doing or planning to do. Those condos there will be around 400k.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
'I think they're trying to diversify the housing stock. Most houses in that area are single family, I believe.'

I think most home owners are not happy about this. They already own homes there and the neighborhood has gone down hill. It's actually fairly cheap to buy a house there. You can get one for 275k-300k. I just dont understand why they're choosing to do more low income housing in this location. It would have been better if the housing was similar to what saving hill is doing or planning to do. Those condos there will be around 400k.
Maybe they don't think anyone would pay 400K to live around a commuter rail station in "Suburban" Boston. So they've decided since we need "lower & middle income" housing, put it in areas that already are trending downward (pricewise) and the price won't rise again dramatically in the near future. Just an assumption though.

They (BHA) tried building affordable housing in Westie recently and they were met with resistance. I have to note though....HP, Westie, Rozzie and Mattapan will have to build up sooner than later.

Cambridge, Somerville, Quincy, Malden, parts of Brookline and Newton are getting maxed out.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:34 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Zoning board approves apartment building next to train station in Hyde Park | Universal Hub

The area is already pretty desolate and not thriving so I don't know how this will help.
Transit oriented development. People have to pay to ride the fairmount line. Puts a lil more money in the MBTA budget. Also park needs to get rid of the townish feel slowly and become more accessible to downtown if it wants to remain vibrant. This was necessary. Right now the only people willing to live along a train track in a semi abandoned area in Hyde park are lower middle class and working class. Its government money and trying to keep Boston from becoming haves and have nots what's the issue?

Old 04-02-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
'They would never give the prime real estate over in Southie/JP/SouEnd to "affordable" housing'

They used to subsidize back bay apartments in the 70s. There is worse than a few hundred section 8 ppl getting to live in brownstones in The south end. They've generally been there the longest they also put more pressure on city officials and thus the officials respond. Also why make south end another boring homogeneous neighborhood entirely...its already mostly a back bay wannabe with no real neighborhood feel anymore. My uncle is A small time fashion designer got priced out of his top floor studio in 1999 and moved to dorchester and I haven't been in a home in the south end since. Long time city residents losing the connection to the place in favor of opportunistic newcomers breeds resentment.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
No doubt, but look at the crime stats. The area around Cathedral is much safer nowadays, not to mention how bad Orchard Park (Garden, nowadays) used to be before the gentrification of South End/Melnea Cass.

I think they're trying to diversify the housing stock. Most houses in that area are single family, I believe.
Two family

Old 04-02-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Two family
With the occasional landlord in the basement lol

Old 04-02-2015, 11:50 AM

'Also park needs to get rid of the townish feel slowly and become more accessible to downtown if it wants to remain vibrant.'

how is this going to happen with low income housing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston