Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 08:20 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,231,420 times

Advertisements

Look at the percentage of African Americans in Hyde Park versus a place like West Roxbury and you'll see why. People like to say they're not racist but subtle racism is still prevalent.

Also Cambridge/Somerville/Southie are right near the center of Boston and all of the action. While Hyde Park is part of boston it is fairly suburban in its character. Young people who want to live within walking distance to the bars with rapid transit access to their work will not settle in Hyde Park. Real estate is all about location, Rossie is closer to JP and the rest of Boston so that might explain some of the discrepancy in prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 08:39 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,320,773 times
I still dont get the whole Rozzie fascination, sorry. I have friends who live right on the HP/Rozzie border and there is NO difference other than price.

The only section of HP that is AA really is the one closer to Mattapn. As the poster above said, Readville and Fairmount are mostly white.

and sure I see why Somerville and Cambridge are more desirable...but it fascinates me that most young people these days pay what they do on rent...and it is just striking that HP is so unremarkable to most people. Many firefighters, teachers and police live there also.

Last edited by Whatsnext75; 02-08-2017 at 08:43 PM.. Reason: added

Old 02-09-2017, 01:03 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,231,420 times
HP is more comparable to Woburn/Stoneham/Lynn then it is to Cambridge/Somerville.

Cambridge has two of the most prestigious colleges in the world, Kendall Square which is one of the largest innovation centers in the country, and countless bars and restaurants. That's why it is expensive. Somerville is right next to Cambridge and has seen many newcomers who have been priced out of Cambridge (except for Davis Square which is a vibrant center in its own right).

Old 02-09-2017, 05:13 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,116,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
I still dont get the whole Rozzie fascination, sorry. I have friends who live right on the HP/Rozzie border and there is NO difference other than price.
Rozzie on the HP border is a lot different than Rozzie on the W. Rox border, especially when you get closer to the Arboretum. And Roslindale Square or (village to the newcomers) is vastly different than Cleary square. It goes to show what a difference 2 miles makes in Boston.

Old 02-09-2017, 06:27 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,320,773 times
Default Re

Sure, there are different sections of Rozzi just as there are different sections of Dorchester. I never meant to imply that HP is comparible to cambridge or somerville. I can absolutely see why people would prefer to live there over hp...but it also suprises me that with all this gentrification going on HP hasnt become more of a hot spot. It's still part of boston, bordered by some beautiful sections of milton and also bordered by JP. The fairmount line is there and it runs about every hour, is cheap and takes you right to south station.

HP is becoming more of a place for first time home buyers if anything. Lots of single family homes. I dont think hp will ever be a place that recent grads will want to move to there is no night life...but there's no night life young 20 somethings in w. Rox, rozzy or even dorchester really.

Old 02-09-2017, 06:49 AM

837 posts, read 1,225,240 times
HP has never been a hot spot because of distance. Yes, there's the Fairmount line and buses to Forest Hills, but that's nothing compared to other areas which have more accessible transportation. I have friends who grew up in Readville who say that they aligned more with Dedham than Boston simply because of geography -- hence, more suburban than urban.

I don't understand Rozzie being a hot spot either except maybe it's more T accessible? It's the only Boston neighborhood I have little knowledge of, so I have no idea :ahrugs:

Old 02-09-2017, 07:13 AM

23,571 posts, read 18,678,020 times
Quote:
Hi. I dont live in hyde park but i think it's incredibly underrated. I often mention it on this board but no one seems to care about it. Hyde park was mentioned in boston magazines big real estate guide as being a place to buy now and quoted that locals call it, God's country. It amazes me that prices there are as low as they are but people are spending 100k to 200k more (at least) to live in roslindale or west roxbury. It seems like the big drawback for people is that the redline or orange line is not in HP.

I have been to HP recently and loved bacaros. I do think cleary sq could use some sprucing up...maybe a nice coffee shop or a few more restaurants. I never felt unsafe though.

It seems like if a neighborhood isn't 'hot' and constantly mentioned as up and coming with houses and condos selling for at least 50k over asking price then not many people are interested in living there. It amazes me that people around here continually shell out rent and crazy payments on places on cambridge, somerville, southie, south end, etc. It's getting boring. I'd like to hear about some other places...so thanks for your comments on HP!
On THIS FORUM there is little interest in HP for the same reason there is little interest in Weymouth, Peabody, or Millbury. The fact is most people who post here either already reside in or are looking for a place that is walking distance to trendy bars, cupcake shops and a rapid transit station; OR a serene metro-west suburb with top 10 schools and zero diversity. And then you'll occasionally get an urban pioneer asking "how bad (really) is Chelsea, Roxbury, Brockton, Springfield, Lawrence, etc.", and you'll get your usual blinded boosters as well as your unreasonable bashers. Basically neighborhoods/towns like the prior get little mention here, because they just don't fall into any of those categories. It doesn't mean there isn't interest in the real world, just not on City-Data. The kind of people buying/looking in those areas are generally motivated by different factors that what's typical of a poster to this site.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:17 AM

572 posts, read 435,282 times
Quote:
Hi. I dont live in hyde park but i think it's incredibly underrated. I often mention it on this board but no one seems to care about it. Hyde park was mentioned in boston magazines big real estate guide as being a place to buy now and quoted that locals call it, God's country. It amazes me that prices there are as low as they are but people are spending 100k to 200k more (at least) to live in roslindale or west roxbury. It seems like the big drawback for people is that the redline or orange line is not in HP.

I have been to HP recently and loved bacaros. I do think cleary sq could use some sprucing up...maybe a nice coffee shop or a few more restaurants. I never felt unsafe though.

It seems like if a neighborhood isn't 'hot' and constantly mentioned as up and coming with houses and condos selling for at least 50k over asking price then not many people are interested in living there. It amazes me that people around here continually shell out rent and crazy payments on places on cambridge, somerville, southie, south end, etc. It's getting boring. I'd like to hear about some other places...so thanks for your comments on HP!
Can't you take Redline to Ashmont and get connectors to Mattapan on the T? I also see "Forest Hills" on the Red line but they me that's JP...

And.. Hyde Park is a cheap place to live? Like... room-wise?

And. Parking?

I'm not from the area, so, educate me please.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xo_kizzy_xo View Post
HP has never been a hot spot because of distance. Yes, there's the Fairmount line and buses to Forest Hills, but that's nothing compared to other areas which have more accessible transportation. I have friends who grew up in Readville who say that they aligned more with Dedham than Boston simply because of geography -- hence, more suburban than urban.

I don't understand Rozzie being a hot spot either except maybe it's more T accessible? It's the only Boston neighborhood I have little knowledge of, so I have no idea :ahrugs:
I grew up in the HP/WR/Rozzie area, and can confirm that at least in the past it often associated more with Dedham than the rest of Boston. But so much has changed in that area, that I hesitate to comment too much. It seems Rozzie has changed the most out of the 3, and has become more JPish while HP trending a little more ghetto and WR a little more yuppie.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie4 View Post
Can't you take Redline to Ashmont and get connectors to Mattapan on the T? I also see "Forest Hills" on the Red line but they me that's JP...

And.. Hyde Park is a cheap place to live? Like... room-wise?

And. Parking?

I'm not from the area, so, educate me please.
From Ashmont you can easily transfer to the Mattapan trolley.

Forest Hills is on the Orange Line. The station is in JP, right near the border with HP and Roslindale. There is a lot there that usually fills up quick. You used to be able to find parking on the side streets, not sure how that situation is now. Many people ride the bus to the station, service is pretty frequent at rush hour.

HP cheap? It depends on your definition. Probably some of the cheapest in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston