Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 08:45 AM

23,571 posts, read 18,672,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
I have almost been in 6 fist fights with some questionable youth on my walk to the hyde park location. (making gun gestures, yelling, being general a**Holes) never a problem yet to w. rox.
Glad to see some things don't change...

I can see living in one of the nicer residential areas of HP, but Cleary Sq. does not do the neighborhood any favors. Luckily it's an easy drive to WR, Dedham, E Milton Sq. or Quincy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 10:10 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,320,505 times
Default Re

HP just seems like it has a lot of potential...and im suprised it hasn't become more desirable given the low inventory in the boston area and the prices.

Old 02-09-2017, 10:20 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,115,788 times
Yeah. It's bizarre. I was thinking it would soon change...10 years ago. To me it reminds me of a smaller version Chelsea

Old 02-09-2017, 10:30 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,320,505 times
I am not familiar with Chelsea...but it does seem like HP is a forgotten part of boston which is odd since Menino lived there the whole time he was mayor. May he rest in peace but it didn't seem like he attempted to do much for that part of the city?

Old 02-10-2017, 08:26 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
I still dont get the whole Rozzie fascination, sorry. I have friends who live right on the HP/Rozzie border and there is NO difference other than price.

The only section of HP that is AA really is the one closer to Mattapn. As the poster above said, Readville and Fairmount are mostly white.

and sure I see why Somerville and Cambridge are more desirable...but it fascinates me that most young people these days pay what they do on rent...and it is just striking that HP is so unremarkable to most people. Many firefighters, teachers and police live there also.
I have to disagree here, Hyde Park is predominately AA untill you get to Fairmount even the section along Truman Parkway is. Readville is an even mix of AA/Dominican and white at this point. All along Hyde Park Ave and River Street is overwhelmingly AA.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
On THIS FORUM there is little interest in HP for the same reason there is little interest in Weymouth, Peabody, or Millbury. The fact is most people who post here either already reside in or are looking for a place that is walking distance to trendy bars, cupcake shops and a rapid transit station; OR a serene metro-west suburb with top 10 schools and zero diversity. And then you'll occasionally get an urban pioneer asking "how bad (really) is Chelsea, Roxbury, Brockton, Springfield, Lawrence, etc.", and you'll get your usual blinded boosters as well as your unreasonable bashers. Basically neighborhoods/towns like the prior get little mention here, because they just don't fall into any of those categories. It doesn't mean there isn't interest in the real world, just not on City-Data. The kind of people buying/looking in those areas are generally motivated by different factors that what's typical of a poster to this site.
This is so true. The people who post on he are a highly educated, highly moneyed small slice of the population. people like to subconsciously boost or bah places or even put out information that isnt really true. Every place in Mass. has to fit some type of narrative and if it doesn't fit some New England archetype they make it.

Hyde Park is north Randolph Both fine places that get a ad rap because there way more diverse (read:black) than other places in the metro and the schools dot stack up well. Growing up along Wood Ave and Truman Parkway I loved Hyde Park. Tons of other kids enough access tot he city to be able to have fun but suburban enough whee you felt safe. I had TONS of Irish Italian Dominican and African American friends on my little league teams out in Kelly Field in Readville even Meigs Field. Im still in contact with some of the white kids from my baseball teams (1998-2005) even now as a young adult, they still live in Hyde Park, go to school or work, they date interracial, theyre not trashy or anything just open minded regular kids who grew up in a diverse environment. Now, when i played Hyde Park youth Basketball at the Municipal Building in Cleary Square. It must hve only been about 5-% white kids... it was OVERWHELMINGLY black int he basketball league in Hyde park 80%+ but I'm guessing the inverse could be said about the Hockey League No hard feelings, just a great place to raise kids and has always been a place for first time home buyers.

You could think of Hyde Park as more of a inner ring suburb in the DC or Philly area in terms of its socioeconomic makeup.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I grew up in the HP/WR/Rozzie area, and can confirm that at least in the past it often associated more with Dedham than the rest of Boston. But so much has changed in that area, that I hesitate to comment too much. It seems Rozzie has changed the most out of the 3, and has become more JPish while HP trending a little more ghetto and WR a little more yuppie.
yuppie in WR? WR makes me think Milton nowadays. Mostly middle class families, growing diversity but still same old Westie in many respects. Westie is a hodgepodge of Dedham Rozzie Newton and Milton to me.

Westie is Westie because it is closer tot he prestigious suburbs and swanky part of JP, it is more affiliated with Metro West and Hyde Park is more affiliated with Mattapan and Metro South. Roslindale is only 'hot' because of low inventory, they've spruced up Roslindale Square but thats it. Nothing really particularly special about Rozzie. HP is just so family-laden, so AA-laden, so far removed from reliable rapid transit service (never have I eve once used the Fairmount line, hell I have once d used the Readville line, not the Fairmount!) and has literally no good BPS schools (even Roxbury and Dorchester have a decent school here and there). It may now have a nice charter or two i don't know. But I do know it is not crime or poverty holding HP back though.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 02-10-2017 at 08:48 AM..

Old 02-10-2017, 10:40 AM

2,722 posts, read 6,109,233 times
Hyde Park is approximately 13 miles from Downtown Crossing. How does it compare with cities and towns 13 miles north of Downtown Crossing? Woburn, Stoneham, Wakefield, Saugus etc.

Old 02-10-2017, 11:31 AM

23,571 posts, read 18,672,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
yuppie in WR? WR makes me think Milton nowadays. Mostly middle class families, growing diversity but still same old Westie in many respects. Westie is a hodgepodge of Dedham Rozzie Newton and Milton to me.

Westie is Westie because it is closer tot he prestigious suburbs and swanky part of JP, it is more affiliated with Metro West and Hyde Park is more affiliated with Mattapan and Metro South. Roslindale is only 'hot' because of low inventory, they've spruced up Roslindale Square but thats it. Nothing really particularly special about Rozzie. HP is just so family-laden, so AA-laden, so far removed from reliable rapid transit service (never have I eve once used the Fairmount line, hell I have once d used the Readville line, not the Fairmount!) and has literally no good BPS schools (even Roxbury and Dorchester have a decent school here and there). It may now have a nice charter or two i don't know. But I do know it is not crime or poverty holding HP back though.
That's why I said "a little more" yuppie, meaning Westie (or HP) really hasn't seen the changes Rozzie has over the last 20 years. But I'd say it has definitely trended that way, becoming more Newtony and less Dedhamy. Yes there are still plenty of the older families there. Rozzie just has an entire different feel now, most of it rooted in the transformation the Square has seen. From my understanding, Cleary Sq. has slowly trended rougher during that same time frame.

Old 02-10-2017, 11:36 AM

596 posts, read 817,948 times
Yuppie stands for young urban professional. West Roxbury is only one of those (professional). Not very young, not very urban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston