Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2009, 09:11 PM

873 posts, read 1,716,665 times

Advertisements

I've been in three car accidents in my life and all were at low rates of speed (thank God). Each time it was because an idiot behind me was following too close and either driving distracted with friends in the car(once) or talking on the damned cell phone (twice).

Old 11-05-2009, 09:15 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,714,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Let me just ask you one question. Regarding the the 1st post Kentucky dud made, do you think this is the proper and safe way to to deal with tailgaters?
This is nothing more than vigilante justice, and vigilante justice is not legal.

"I tend to lock up my brakes so you will hit me"
I have said repeatedly that...
1. I don't do that.
2. I don't think it's a good idea.

I think that my answer is pretty clear.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogercobb View Post
I've been in three car accidents in my life and all were at low rates of speed (thank God). Each time it was because an idiot behind me was following too close and either driving distracted with friends in the car(once) or talking on the damned cell phone (twice).

Oddly enough, according to several of the members here, those 3 accidents were all your fault. You should have known better than to be obeying the law, and just gotten out of their way!

Old 11-05-2009, 09:17 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,332,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Oddly enough, according to several of the members here, those 3 accidents were all your fault. You should have known better than to just be obeying the law, and just gotten out of their way!
Which members?

Old 11-05-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Which members?
You can read their comments, and insults, and know which ones. It's obvious.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
You can read their comments, and insults, and know which ones. It's obvious.
It's not obvious to me. How about citing some examples?

Old 11-05-2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
It's not obvious to me. How about citing some examples?
Sorry, I'm not doing the pissin' match. You can read through the thread as easily as I can.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I'm not doing the pissin' match. You can read through the thread as easily as I can.
I have read through it. I can't find any examples of what you claim. So maybe you can point out what I'm missing. I mean, you say they're obvious so it shouldn't be that hard to point out just a couple, should it? In the time you've spent bantering with me about it, you should have been able to find at least a couple, no doubt.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:01 PM

*crickets*

Old 11-06-2009, 06:28 AM
NCN

21,664 posts, read 25,667,565 times
My husband went to a senior citizen meeting yesterday and one of the pick up items was the laws for driving in our state. I looked through for any mention of the driver in front of the other driver being responsible for what the driver behind does and the only mention was that when you start to make a turn you should check to make sure that the driver behind is not following you too closely. That would require giving a turn signal to alert the driver. It would still be the fault of the person behind if they hit you, but it was just a defensive driving caution so you would not be involved in an accident.

It did state that when you are driving you should leave enough space between your car and the car in front of you so another car can fit inside the space in case they want to pass you on a two lane road. It cautioned SEVERAL times that following to closely is one of the biggest causes of accidents.

I find it interesting that a poster can brag about the fact that they would plow into anyone who slams the brakes in front of them--totally against the law, and totally an unsafe, aggressive driver and I went several posts forward and saw no one say anything to that poster, but everyone is ready to blast the person starting the thread. I find that absolutely scary.

About the only thing that scares me more than someone following too closely when I am driving is having a person coming toward me on the wrong side of the road about to cause a head on collusion. Both these practices have caused many deaths and you need to get back to the subject of needing to alert people that following too closely is a dangerous practice. Many people do it just by habit and they would save many lives and collusions if they would stop it.

I don't think most of the posters on here realize just how dangerous following to closely is. You seem to want to put the blame for accidents on people who use their brakes. I guess you think we should just be at the mercy of the jerks in the cars behind us. I am not going to be in a situation when someone is riding my bumper any longer than I have to be. I am learning that with so many people drivng cars that care nothing about the people in the cars around them, the best practice is just to pull of the road and let them have it. So when someone gets on my bumper and I see somewhere to pull off, I start giving a signal as soon as possible and slow down and pull off. Driving could go on much more smoothly and you would get there faster if you would just stay back far enough to be safe. It takes time for me to slow down enough to get off the road. I drive the speed limit most of the time. Why would anyone want to be going faster than the speed limit?

Last edited by NCN; 11-06-2009 at 06:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive