Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 09:55 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

Is it just your imagination, or do many of your fellow motorists lack even a rudimentary grasp of traffic laws?

Well, if a test administered by GMAC Insurance is any indication, one in six people cruising our highways and byways -- roughly 36 million licensed drivers -- would flunk their driver's test if they had to take it today. Not only that, but based on the 2007 GMAC Insurance National Drivers Test data the state with the most road-going dummies is New York, while the most knowledgeable ones are out West to Idaho.

36 million drivers would flunk drivers tests - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 10:54 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Is it just your imagination, or do many of your fellow motorists lack even a rudimentary grasp of traffic laws?

Well, if a test administered by GMAC Insurance is any indication, one in six people cruising our highways and byways -- roughly 36 million licensed drivers -- would flunk their driver's test if they had to take it today. Not only that, but based on the 2007 GMAC Insurance National Drivers Test data the state with the most road-going dummies is New York, while the most knowledgeable ones are out West to Idaho.

36 million drivers would flunk drivers tests - CNN.com
I saw that on CNN this morning . ether he read it wrong , or the test were flawed. The sample question given " what do you do when encountering a flashing yellow "?..... correct answer........." slow down and stop if you can" ?????????????..... I hope the news guy read it flawed.!

Old 11-17-2007, 12:55 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,866,824 times
how is this news lol? just go drive around for awhile and you'll see

Old 04-28-2008, 10:35 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
My doctor's office is at the Southwest corner of a 4-lane divided state route and a side street. There is a service road in front of his office that is separated from the state route by a concrete curb. Northbound traffic has a "NO U-TURN" sign at this intersection, but it is perfectly legal to turn from the Northbound left lane onto the service road. Yet, people frequently go to the trouble to turn around in the doctor's office parking lot to enter the service road...DUH!

Old 04-28-2008, 11:13 AM

941 posts, read 2,303,170 times
It's like math, it's amazing how much you forget when you don't use it everyday, i almost freeked when i found out i had to do the written test in NC http://bestsmileys.com/scared/5.gif (broken link) thanks to City Data i passed, plus alot of people are getting illegal or fake licenses so they never studied the laws in the first place.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:30 AM

692 posts, read 3,142,305 times
The only "SURPRISE" to me is how LOW the figure is. I see about twice that amount.
The States really want the revenue more than they care about safety.
Then we wonder why so many people want to drive big gas gusslers....There afraid of all the idiots out there.
Even if you subtract out all the drunks and drug users, there is still a very large number of mentally challenged and arrogant drivers.

Sorry to be so negative but I have been driving legally for 56 years and have never had an accident that was my fault. It's about using good judgement and being considerate folks. Not to much of that out there these days.
We reap what we SOW.

Silverfox

Old 04-28-2008, 07:35 PM

419 posts, read 1,921,624 times
If the results of survey is based on GMAC's test, well the results are flawed. I took the test and correctly answered everyone of them. But when I select "get your score" they so me at 85% correct. Hummm, I check the answers I supplied and they are correct. The score page indicated that I chose a different answer. TEST IS FLAWED. GMAC has no basis for this report, unless they resolve the problem and then republish their report correct findings. Take the test yourself and see what score is....

Old 04-28-2008, 09:36 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,674,449 times
I wonder how low the test results would be if it was given in English only? I don't know about the rest of the states but it would not surprise me if Illinois made Spanish the official language.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:40 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
I wonder how low the test results would be if it was given in English only? I don't know about the rest of the states but it would not surprise me if Illinois made Spanish the official language.
SCARY thought, Studedude!

Old 04-29-2008, 08:32 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,984,503 times
#1 - I'm suspect regarding any research that insurance companies conduct. It is in their best interest to convince others they they are taking your money for a good and valuable cause; but fundamentally insurance is a scam most Americans are completely or at least partially aware of.

#2 - Having driven internationally, I can tell you that drivers in the US are generally much more cautious and knowledgeable of traffic laws than others in Europe, Asia, and the Middle East. I wouldn't say we have the best drivers in the world, but overall we're not that bad (visit Mumbai India or anywhere in Italy if you doubt me).

#3 - Let us call it the way it is, it isn't lack of traffic law knowledge that is the problem in the US or anywhere there are drivers... it is generally people choosing to ignore traffic laws which is the problem. Like when you're 16-19, haven't had an accident "yet," feel invincible, and conclude that driving the speed limit or following a law when no one else is apparently around or apparently in danger, that accidents do happen. It's also when you're 70+ years old with cruddy eyesight and slow reflexes and perhaps a slower mind than when younger, that you become a danger to others on the road because instead of keeping up with traffic you decide to be "extra cautious" and slow at changing lanes, merging into traffic, or doing anything on the road.

All that said, what really drives me nuts is when people don't use blinkers and when Indiana drivers turn their automobile's wheel to the right before making a left (or vice versa). It's tempting to not use blinkers when others aren't around, but it makes for a lousy and dangerous driving habit. Making wide turns like you're a trucker in a big rig when driving your car or minivan is just plain stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive