Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 08:51 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,283,943 times

Advertisements

I know it only took 23 pages and two days, but let's settle this with facts. I know, it's not as much fun, but here they are;

From the Kentucky State Driver's Manual

http://www.kentuckystatepolice.org/p...ers_manual.pdf

Page 16 - [SIZE=2]
[LEFT]The left lane is for drivers who want to pass or turn
left. The right lane is used by drivers who want to go slower or who are
entering or turning right. If a road has only two lanes in one direction, the
right lane generally has the smoothest traffic flow, with the left lane being
reserved for the passing of other vehicles. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Remaining in the left lane on a[/LEFT]
limited access highway is illegal.

Three seconds is the guideline and on page 36 -

[SIZE=2][LEFT]Occasionally, you will find yourself being followed too
closely. If there is a right lane, move over to the right. If there is no right
lane, wait until traffic is clear, then flash your brake lights and reduce
speed slowly to encourage the tailgater to drive around you or increase[/LEFT]
his following distance. (my emphasis added on the word slowly. The bold on the left lane is as is in the text)

[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Old 11-06-2009, 09:33 AM

1,628 posts, read 4,038,902 times
OK Omaha, I went and checked the posts you cited and found only the last two that advocate a violet reaction to the moronic action of slamming on ones brakes to dissuade tailgaters. The rest offer valid and non-threatening ways to avoid escalating highway interacting into something that could wind up tragic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kek1993 View Post
Wow, KentuckyDad, you are lucky to live in Kentucky. In Miami, or Vegas, you would already be dead, or in a wheelchair with multiple and numerous soft tissue injuries, or worse. In Miami, a two foot distance from the car in front of you is an "invitation" for the car in another lane to cut in front of you to get ahead. Tail gating is how people drive here, just get out of the way. It is crazy here. I drive in the right lane.
Clearly just saying what the reality is where he lives. Notice his solution is to avoid the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
What does it matter if you were doing 75 in a 55? If someone wants to go faster, pull over and let them.

It's their ticket, not yours.
Another way to avoid the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
but it never crossed you mind to pull over on to the shoulder when it was safe to do so and let him pass the resume driving.
Yet another non-violent solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Well, just a little google search and turned up something on this from some police forum. Guess what? You brake check someone and YOU CAN GET A TICKET! For more than one thing as well and that is only if there were no serious injuries are a fatality. Several citations that the brake checker could get are: failure to signal stop and reckless driving. Someone gets hurt or killed because you let your ego get in the way and all kinds of other things can get thrown at you.

Best thing ANYONE can do is if you have a lane to move over to so that the faster driver can go on down the road is MOVE OVER. If your on a 2 lane road and there is no other lane to move over to the right into........... are you going the speed limit? Do your brake lights even work? Cause guess what.......... if your brake lights are out I'm going to do one of 2 things. Either back way off of you (depending on the traffic behind me) or I'm going to get closer to you and you might think I'm tailgating. I'm actually proving the laws of physics as has already been described. Closer to you I can better judge your speed and when you are slowing down so that I don't CREAM into the back of you. So if you seem to attract tailgaters then drive the speed limit, get out of the left lane and check your brake lights.
Another solution with some legal interpretation added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Slam on your brakes in front of me and my ranch-hand bumper will happily plow you off the road.
This is obviously not a rational solution, adding to the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
My dad had some jacka-s like you do this to him and he wasn't even tailgating....and let me emphasize....you ARE a JACKA-S!!!!

Lets just say....in the case of 1982 Chevy 4X4 vs Compact POS the outcome was pretty one-sided.

The guy stumbled out of his car and started mouthing about how he was going to sue.

My dad went back to his truck and got his .45 and asked, "What was that you said?"

"Uh....can you help me get out of this ditch!"

<LOL> "See you later, m-f-er"

Ya see....one of these days you will find yourself face to face with a former Army Special Forces Vietnam vet that doesn't give two sh-ts about whether or not some ingrate pos like you ends up as an oily spot in the dirt.
Another violent solution that really doesn't help anyone.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:33 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,666,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I know it only took 23 pages and two days, but let's settle this with facts. I know, it's not as much fun, but here they are;

Honestly though, the problem is not that it's illegal. The problem is that, for the most part, it's not enforced.

I've heard of a few people being pulled over and ticketed for going slow in the left lane, but I've never seen it happen.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post

Page 16 - [SIZE=2]
[LEFT]The left lane is for drivers who want to pass or turn
left. The right lane is used by drivers who want to go slower or who are
entering or turning right. If a road has only two lanes in one direction, the
right lane generally has the smoothest traffic flow, with the left lane being
reserved for the passing of other vehicles. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Remaining in the left lane on a[/LEFT]
limited access highway is illegal.

Three seconds is the guideline and on page 36 -

[SIZE=2][LEFT]Occasionally, you will find yourself being followed too
closely. If there is a right lane, move over to the right. If there is no right
lane, wait until traffic is clear, then flash your brake lights and reduce
speed slowly to encourage the tailgater to drive around you or increase[/LEFT]
his following distance. (my emphasis added on the word slowly. The bold on the left lane is as is in the text)

[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
Good job pulling in the statutes mikey

Old 11-06-2009, 09:35 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,854,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Honestly though, the problem is not that it's illegal. The problem is that, for the most part, it's not enforced.

I've heard of a few people being pulled over and ticketed for going slow in the left lane, but I've never seen it happen.
Would you like a scoop of Vanilla on top of your Humble Pie?

Old 11-06-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
OK Omaha, I went and checked the posts you cited and found only the last two that advocate a violet reaction to the moronic action of slamming on ones brakes to dissuade tailgaters. The rest offer valid and non-threatening ways to avoid escalating highway interacting into something that could wind up tragic.

Clearly just saying what the reality is where he lives. Notice his solution is to avoid the problem.

Another way to avoid the problem.

Yet another non-violent solution.

Another solution with some legal interpretation added.

This is obviously not a rational solution, adding to the problem.

Another violent solution that really doesn't help anyone.
I think you're missing my point.

The OP was talking about driving 63 mph down a 2-lane road, where the speed limit is 55 mph. Can we establish that as fact?

That said, his situation was NOT the same as if he had been driving down a 4-lane highway where the speed limit is 65 mph, doing 63 mph in the left lane. Can we establish that as fact?

So, those facts established...

1. It is NOT the job of the person driving down a 2-lane highway to get out of the way of some hot-head redneck idiot who wants to go 75 mph, and feels entitled to run anybody off the road who doesn't get out of his way.

2. A person who is driving 63 mph in a 55 mph zone is NOT driving pokey and holding up traffic.

3. If a person, for whatever reason, wants to drive 75 mph (or more) on a 2-lane road, it is their responsibility to pass slower drivers in a passing zone.

4. It is illegal - in every state - to tail-gate somebody so closely that they can't see your headlights in their rear-view mirror.

THOSE are the FACTS.

I am not excusing or condoning brake checking. I've repeatedly said that. But the REAL PROBLEM is bone-heads who think they're Richard Petty driving in a NASCAR race.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Would you like a scoop of Vanilla on top of your Humble Pie?
Would you like some creamer in your steaming cup of "I don't know what I'm talking about"?

Are you aware that there's a difference between a 2-lane highway and a 4-lane highway? Are you even aware of the fact that there are no minimum speed limits on 2-lane highways?

Humble pie indeed!

Old 11-06-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
There are a select few people out there (me for one) who relish the opportunity when someone rides their back bumper. You see, when I can't see your headlights in my rearview, you are taking one heck of a gamble. I don't care what car I am driving, when I see that you are trying to bully me on the road, I tend to lock up my brakes so you will hit me. Tend is the wrong word. I look forward to locking my brakes up and watching you squeal your tires and get really scared trying everything in your power to not hit me. And it would serve you well to not hit me. I will make the most out of the opportunity and make sure I milk your insurance for so much money, that you will be deemed unisurable by every insurance company short of Safe Auto. And even better, if you are dumb enough to not have insurance, I will bankrupt you and your family.

So next time you are in such a hurry to get nowhere and want to play bully on the highway, just remember that I am not the only one who thinks like this. Have a nice day!!!
Omaha, this is KYdads original post. You read it. You have been defending this guy.

Are you sure you want to do that?

Old 11-06-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
Omaha, this is KYdads original post. You read it. You have been defending this guy.

Are you sure you want to do that?
Find one single post where I'm defending the guy.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post

The OP was talking about driving 63 mph down a 2-lane road, where the speed limit is 55 mph. Can we establish that as fact?
This one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive