Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2008, 10:06 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,965,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
I had a Nissan that turned into a major headache after I put 100,000 miles on it. I always did regular maintenance and yet it suddenly turned into a piece of junk. Generally these cars last a lot longer than 100,000. I now drive a Dodge and am much happier.

When we were looking for a new car last year, I was considering the Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, and the Nissan Sentra. I automatically scratched Nissan off the list when I found out that the Sentra is built in Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 12:07 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,569,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
When we were looking for a new car last year, I was considering the Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, and the Nissan Sentra. I automatically scratched Nissan off the list when I found out that the Sentra is built in Mexico.
Yeah some Nissan's are made in Mexico and then they also have a plant in Smyrna, TN.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:53 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,834,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
I see some of you hate american cars and would take anything foreign any day over american.

Is there a specific make/model/year you hate? or do you just hate all american cars regardless of who made it and when?

I can agree some of today's foreign cars hold up better than american, but I believe there was once a time 36 years ago when an american car was built to last and foreign car manufacturers were not built very well at all.
American cars are as good, if not better than most foreign vehicles. Since perception follows trends, the American automobile industry is now paying for the mistakes of the 80s-mid 90s. Reality is that America's styling and quality has greatly improved.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottv View Post
Detroit dug it's own grave, ignoring quality, styling, etc while the Japanese and Germans came roaring up on them...too late, Americans were stuck on the imports. Once I went japanese and German, I've never gone back...the only American car I would ever buy would be a Tahoe/SUV of some kind, a Vette, or a Viper-no other domestic appeals to me.
You are what is wrong with this country. You don't allow second chances. You'd rather screw what we have left of a manufacturing base, and the sad part of it is that it is based on nothing more than an outdated belief about imports being of better quality. It is a faulty perception that is lagging behind reality by about ten years, minimum.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:36 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,124,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
I had a Nissan that turned into a major headache after I put 100,000 miles on it. I always did regular maintenance and yet it suddenly turned into a piece of junk. Generally these cars last a lot longer than 100,000. I now drive a Dodge and am much happier.
You brought up an interesting point concerning Nissans........it seems they are 'bulletproof' till about 125K on the clock then their electrical systems start going haywire------I have heard that from many people both customers as well as other mechanics.

Old 04-26-2008, 02:05 PM

990 posts, read 2,556,437 times
Going back to the original post, I don't think i am as much as as "American car hater", as I am a Mercedes Benz lover.

I find it much easier to justify spending 50-60,000 on a Benz than half that on a Ford or G.M. that will give me nothing but troubles.

If the U.S. producers can ever get AND KEEP their act together on customer service, I think the foreign makers will be in real trouble. BUT....Ford/G.M./Chrysler seem to be incapable of this single task.

Talk to a Benz owner, we rarely have problems, and when we do they are IMMEDIATLY handled, without fuss and attitude. Simply fixed and fixed properly.

How much is this TRUELY worth, I don't know. However, I gladly pay a premium for this kind of service and don't regret it.

Old 04-26-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banger View Post
Going back to the original post, I don't think i am as much as as "American car hater", as I am a Mercedes Benz lover.

I find it much easier to justify spending 50-60,000 on a Benz than half that on a Ford or G.M. that will give me nothing but troubles.

If the U.S. producers can ever get AND KEEP their act together on customer service, I think the foreign makers will be in real trouble. BUT....Ford/G.M./Chrysler seem to be incapable of this single task.
You base this on what? I'm sure it's from experiences prior to the mid 90s. You seem to be an individual who can't seem to let bygones be bygones. Mercedes has one of the lowest quality profiles. They're terrible. I once owned a VW, and it was terrible, too. The best car I've ever owned has been a Chevrolet. Very few problems.

Old 04-26-2008, 02:50 PM

990 posts, read 2,556,437 times
"You base this on what? I'm sure it's from experiences prior to the mid 90s. You seem to be an individual who can't seem to let bygones be bygones. Mercedes has one of the lowest quality profiles. They're terrible. I once owned a VW, and it was terrible, too. The best car I've ever owned has been a Chevrolet. Very few problems."

You're correct, in 1995, I forked over approx. $19,000, for a Mercury Sable for my wife. The thing was a piece of junk. Extremely problematic, MANY trips in for warranty work, MANY trips not covered, MANY Dollars spent.

Now you tell me "don' worry we'll make this one better". Yeah RIGHT !!!

First rule of business, lose a customer, LOSE him for life.

B.T.W. surveys be damned, TALK to a Benz owner, we are HAPPY.

E.T.A., If you don't want me to be bitter, have Ford return my money and issue a letter of apology

Last edited by banger; 04-26-2008 at 03:12 PM..

Old 04-26-2008, 03:00 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,672,167 times
Quote:
"You base this on what? I'm sure it's from experiences prior to the mid 90s. You seem to be an individual who can't seem to let bygones be bygones. Mercedes has one of the lowest quality profiles. They're terrible. I once owned a VW, and it was terrible, too. The best car I've ever owned has been a Chevrolet. Very few problems."

You're correct, in 1995, I forked over approx. $19,000, for a Mercury Sable for my wife. The think was a piece of junk. Extremely problematic, MANY trips in for warranty work, MANY trips not covered, MANY Dollars spent.

B.T.W. surveays be damned, TALK to a Benz owner, we are HAPPY.

Right on, banger!

The last American vehicle I bought was a '93 F-150 pick-up....total junk. Three transmissions in 80K. A/C and coolant leaks, just to name a few.

I'm amazed at people that say "let bygones be bygones", or "they are much better now". I'm sorry but I work for my money!

I'm a FIRM believer in the old adage: Screw me once, shame on you....screw me twice, shame on ME!

PS: I just got a recall letter from Ford. It seems that the cruise control may cause the pile of junk to suddenly burst into flames. Mind you, they don't have the parts to fix it, they just want me to bring it in to have the cruise disconnected! The hell with 'em, I just park it well away from my house and keep a bag of marshmallows handy! LOL

Last edited by car54; 04-26-2008 at 03:15 PM..

Old 04-26-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:

You're correct, in 1995, I forked over approx. $19,000, for a Mercury Sable for my wife. The thing was a piece of junk. Extremely problematic, MANY trips in for warranty work, MANY trips not covered, MANY Dollars spent.

B.T.W. surveys be damned, TALK to a Benz owner, we are HAPPY.

E.T.A., If you don't want me to be bitter, have Ford return my money and issue a letter of apology
I owned a 1994 Ford Taurus and, I'll admit, it had problems. I had to replace the transmission three times. However, this occurred prior to the major improvements of Ford. I own a 2006 Chevy, and I have not had one problem (knock on wood). After eight months of owning a Volkswagen, the car's engine blew up, literally. The engine blew a second time. Volkswagens are fun to drive, but they're rife with many problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive