Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2008, 09:00 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,932,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Actually Hyundai is the only one I know of that offers a 100k mile warranty or 10 years whichever comes first.

I believe that warranty is only on the powertrain, correct me if i'm wrong. I've also read from a lot of people on this forum that they try to get away w/not paying for warranty issues.

Last edited by CortlandGirl79; 04-03-2008 at 09:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 09:06 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,932,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewu9900 View Post
also, to correct myself, GM is offering limited lifetime warranty's with all there cars. i guess of the big 3, i feel GM is the best with the cars, but still lacking behind its foreign competitors. and as for Hyundai, kia, most Mitsubishi's, etc, they aren't well made cars either.
Not true!!! GM is offering a 5-year 100,000 miles warranty on the powertrain. It is transferable to a different owner(didn't read the details), but not lifetime.

Quote:
Powertrain Coverage
This extended coverage protects you in the event of problems with major driveline components, including the engine, transmission, transfer case, and axles.

GM Dependability General Motors: Explore GM: Quality Cars and Awards (broken link)

Old 04-03-2008, 10:41 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,361,633 times
Quote:
I see some of you hate american cars and would take anything foreign any day over american.

Is there a specific make/model/year you hate? or do you just hate all american cars regardless of who made it and when?

I can agree some of today's foreign cars hold up better than american, but I believe there was once a time 36 years ago when an american car was built to last and foreign car manufacturers were not built very well at all.
You don't even have to look back 36 years! For me, it's cradle-to-grave American cars, specifically GM.

I was weaned on 2 Cutlass Supremes, with the second one ('84) being better than the first ('76) and both of which were "hand me downs." They both neared 200,000 miles when I sold them...they used NO oil and were running very smoothly. My Dad had bought both of them new.

I then bought a new early 1990s Regal coupe after finishing grad school. It is approaching 244,000 miles on its original engine and transmission. Again, the engine uses NO oil and it comes out gold when changed, and the trans shifts incredibly smoothly. I can't get rid of this car....it's that good.

I just bough a new Buick LaCrosse with the same engine as I had in my Regal because the Regal was THAT good.

I had one mediocre car -- that was a Camaro. I also had access to various foreign cars within the family such as Fiat or Toyota products and COULDN'T STAND them.

Please, when you maintain your car and the entire powertrain racks up a QUARTER OF A MILLION miles, there is little, if any, basis to hate American cars. Thanks.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:01 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,300,433 times
Quote:
first off I'd like to point out that you keep bring up a German luxury car ( Mercedes ) and putting that again ford. im pretty much talking about Honda, Toyota, and Nissan in my replies.
Nissan? Be careful with those. Their reliability can vary widely.

Quote:
your not really making any points, but your showing your ignorance in the fact that you love American made cars and thats all. you state im not the only one who works on car, but i noticed in your profile, you are in real estate. whats your point?
My point is that in many instances, American cars are underrated.

Quote:
i can see that being an older guy, with the car collection you posses, and a product of reaganomics, i can see why you would try to trash the quality of a foreign made vehicle for you own mental benefits.
I'm not trying to trash foreign made vehicles; I'm pointing out that many are overrated, with Mercedes probably leading the list.

Quote:
you claim the 2003 tauraus did better than the Mercedes, so why are so many tauruas's no longer on the road due to mechanical issues? i never see a Mercedes on the side of the road, do you???
Actually, yes, I have seen a Mercedes on the side of the road.

Quote:
by the way, i work at a shop in Tampa Florida. it is hot here and you may be on to something giving most of fords problems are due to overheating, maybe thats why i see so many broke down, but i Ive only live here for 6 months and i seen a ton up in Rhode Island where im from in which the heat shouldn't be a problem. so no i haven't seen this all over the country, but 1300 miles away and the same, so im guessing it real. maybe they only build good fords where they have California emissions, but its doubtful because that has nothing to due with shotty transmissions.
Overheating? I drive my '95 Lincoln in weather up to and including 110 degrees and the temperature indicator is always in the "normal" range.

Quote:
when i said racing strips, i was thinking of those super fast Calais from the 80's lol, and cars like 3.8 liter cutlasses, show me a foreign car with FACTORY strips that isnt fast. come to think of it i only see those Mazda protegues sports with a turbo and factory stripes
Renault LeCar. And Buick Opel from the '70s.

Quote:
and i already told you why i put no stock in J.D power,
Show me some data which counters the data J.D. Power publishes.

Quote:
and it has nothing to do with American cars being on the list, trust me, the problem here is i would always buy American made cars, if they stopped messing around and built them right, i mean they been doing it for over 100 years. what is the problem???? the fact that they make there cars JUST barley make the warranty is a reason i bought my old 98 accord with the 36000 mile warranty, i knew id never need it, i bought the reliability of Honda. I could crap in a box and warranty it, but that doesn't make it good. its still on the road with 208,000 miles and nothing major ever broke. you buy American cars for the same price or more, and it doesn't last, now thats what i call stupid. bad investments.
So all (or most) Amercan cars "barely" make the warranty? What about members here who have disproven that by posting their (American) cars and their mileage?

Quote:
my nabors jeep grand Cherokee has 38000 miles and its on the 3rd transmission, she is without the truck as much as she has it and she hates it. stuck in the loan, what can she do??? i bet all the money in the world her next car wont be an American car.
Your neighbor's Jeep? So because of that, all American cars have trouble? I can point out an example of every single foreign make, including Honda and Toyota, which have had a problem.

Quote:
i have two words for you: FORD TAURAUS
oh wait, two more words: DODGE INTREPID
Here are some words for you (cars in which there have been one year or more with reliability problems):
Audi A4 (4-cylinder), A6 (6-cylinder), A8; BMW 7-series, X3, Z3 &Z4; Infiniti QX56; Jaguar S-Type, X-Type (sedan); Land Rover LR3; Mazda CS-7, CX-9, RX-8, 6 sedan; Mercedes C-Class, CLS, E-Class, GL-Class, M-Class, R-Class, S-Class, SL, SLK; Nissan 350Z, Armanda, Quest, Titan; Porsche 911, Boxster, Cayenne; Saab 9-3; 9-5, Volkswagen GTI, New Beetle, Passat, Touareg; Volvo S40/V40/V50, XC 90.

Quote:
i wish they would build these cars better, they are American cars, and im an American. just isn't happening
They are building them better.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
You don't even have to look back 36 years! For me, it's cradle-to-grave American cars, specifically GM.

I was weaned on 2 Cutlass Supremes, with the second one ('84) being better than the first ('76) and both of which were "hand me downs." They both neared 200,000 miles when I sold them...they used NO oil and were running very smoothly. My Dad had bought both of them new.

I then bought a new early 1990s Regal coupe after finishing grad school. It is approaching 244,000 miles on its original engine and transmission. Again, the engine uses NO oil and it comes out gold when changed, and the trans shifts incredibly smoothly. I can't get rid of this car....it's that good.

I just bough a new Buick LaCrosse with the same engine as I had in my Regal because the Regal was THAT good.

I had one mediocre car -- that was a Camaro. I also had access to various foreign cars within the family such as Fiat or Toyota products and COULDN'T STAND them.

Please, when you maintain your car and the entire powertrain racks up a QUARTER OF A MILLION miles, there is little, if any, basis to hate American cars. Thanks.
That's impossible! Don't you know, according to Mike, that American cars "barely" last past their warranty?

Old 04-04-2008, 02:23 AM

190 posts, read 650,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Nissan? Be careful with those. Their reliability can vary widely.

My point is that in many instances, American cars are underrated.

I'm not trying to trash foreign made vehicles; I'm pointing out that many are overrated, with Mercedes probably leading the list.

Actually, yes, I have seen a Mercedes on the side of the road.

Overheating? I drive my '95 Lincoln in weather up to and including 110 degrees and the temperature indicator is always in the "normal" range.

Renault LeCar. And Buick Opel from the '70s.

So all (or most) Amercan cars "barely" make the warranty? What about members here who have disproven that by posting their (American) cars and their mileage?

Your neighbor's Jeep? So because of that, all American cars have trouble? I can point out an example of every single foreign make, including Honda and Toyota, which have had a problem.

Here are some words for you (cars in which there have been one year or more with reliability problems):
Audi A4 (4-cylinder), A6 (6-cylinder), A8; BMW 7-series, X3, Z3 &Z4; Infiniti QX56; Jaguar S-Type, X-Type (sedan); Land Rover LR3; Mazda CS-7, CX-9, RX-8, 6 sedan; Mercedes C-Class, CLS, E-Class, GL-Class, M-Class, R-Class, S-Class, SL, SLK; Nissan 350Z, Armanda, Quest, Titan; Porsche 911, Boxster, Cayenne; Saab 9-3; 9-5, Volkswagen GTI, New Beetle, Passat, Touareg; Volvo S40/V40/V50, XC 90.

They are building them better.
so i noticed you put Volvo, Mazda, Jaguar, land rover. i m sure you know that ford currently builds them and has for quite sometime!!! Saab?? GM, you should know this seeing that you sure are an authority on the American car market...and you seem to keep mentioning Mercedes, have you heard of diamler Benz??? thats right, daimler CHRYSLER ... another one. as for the other cars, most are German and i have no doubt that im no fan of German cars. where did you get this info from by the way? im just curious.

for some reason you wont let this issue die and i give you credit for that, but check and you will see you just insulted all the American car makers by not doing your research and posting this.....

Last edited by mikewu9900; 04-04-2008 at 02:44 AM..

Old 04-04-2008, 03:04 AM

281 posts, read 1,379,253 times
Quote:
(...)
First, just to point that out: I am definitely not a hater of American cars, in contrary I even like several models for a specific reason. But due to the fact that I don't have too much personal experience with them (and my knowledge is mainly based on statistics and forum content ;-) I will not chime in at their reliability discussion.

However, as I am also a satisfied customer of German makes, let me add my viewpoint about your comments above.

I had different Mercedes models within different time periods, including a 70's S-Class and the first M-Class (a model that gets many bad reputations). Overall I agree that the M did not deliver the expected Mercedes quality, but I owned the car 10 years without having any major trouble. I was more disappointed about low craftmanship at that specific model.

Anyway, most problems came when Mercedes started to grow extensively in volume (not really good for a small luxury car manufacturer)... resulting in a peak of customers discontent around 2000 - the time of the w210, the first M-Class and DaimlerChrysler. For me, that time is past now. I've had the latest M-Class, C-Class, and currently the E-Class.... and I am more than happy with it. My neighbor drives CLS... perfect car, no problems at all. And for the Toyota praisers: look at their recall statistics, they put their pants on one leg at a time as well.

Regarding the surveys: Personally I don't put too much attention into these, as they can vary depending on source, location and viewpoint. Below is the top ten of Germanys biggest road assistance ADAC (no Toyota under the top-ten btw):

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l7/SweeperTV/adacrating2008.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-04-2008, 03:13 AM

Quote:
so i noticed you put Volvo, Mazda, Jaguar, land rover. i m sure you know that ford currently builds them and has for quite sometime!!! Saab?? GM, you should know this seeing that you sure are an authority on the American car market...and you seem to keep mentioning Mercedes, have you heard of diamler Benz??? thats right, daimler CHRYSLER ... another one. as for the other cars, most are German and i have no doubt that im no fan of German cars. where did you get this info from by the way? im just curious.

for some reason you wont let this issue die and i give you credit for that, but check and you will see you just insulted all the American car makers by not doing your research and posting this.....
I am well aware of who builds what.
And what about Daimlier Benz? A trouble prone Mercedes is a trouble prone Mercedes no matter what it's called!

Incidentally, here are some odometer readings from a Lincoln Town Car forum (same engine as the Ford Crown Vic and the same engine used in taxi cabs and police cars, the 4.6 L V-8):

'92: 267,000 miles (the owner calls it a member of the 200,000 mile club).

'92: 157,000 miles

'94: 143,600 miles

'95: 151,000 miles

'94: dead at 267,000 miles (transmission) Rebuild the trans and it may last another 200,000 miles!

Owned by the same person:

'99: 250,000 miles
'95: 352,254 miles
'94: 450,000 miles
'90: 106,000 miles
'90: 402,843 miles
'89: 470,000 miles

--------------

More:

'95: 232,000 miles with original engine and transmission

'95: Cartier: 495,000 miles

'93: 177,000 miles

Old 04-04-2008, 07:23 AM

190 posts, read 650,216 times
Quote:
I am well aware of who builds what.
And what about Daimlier Benz? A trouble prone Mercedes is a trouble prone Mercedes no matter what it's called!

Incidentally, here are some odometer readings from a Lincoln Town Car forum (same engine as the Ford Crown Vic and the same engine used in taxi cabs and police cars, the 4.6 L V-8):

'92: 267,000 miles (the owner calls it a member of the 200,000 mile club).

'92: 157,000 miles

'94: 143,600 miles

'95: 151,000 miles

'94: dead at 267,000 miles (transmission) Rebuild the trans and it may last another 200,000 miles!

Owned by the same person:

'99: 250,000 miles
'95: 352,254 miles
'94: 450,000 miles
'90: 106,000 miles
'90: 402,843 miles
'89: 470,000 miles

--------------

More:

'95: 232,000 miles with original engine and transmission

'95: Cartier: 495,000 miles

'93: 177,000 miles
for sure fleet, those are some impressive numbers there i can't argue with you there. and im not a hater of American cars as this thread started out, i just prefer honda toyata and nissan over them, as i see you don't... i must say, my dad owned a town car a few years ago, he did have some problem with it, but it gave the best ride of any car ( including my old lexus ls 400 ) that i rode in.

this forum was certainly entertaining. we had a good battle going there for a while lol. I just feel that American car maker used bad business practices when there wasn't any competition in the 80's and 90's. Lower quality, cutting corners etc. i took auto mechanics in 10-12 grade in high school as part of the vocational program, i had a real cool auto teacher who had numerous old GM's in the shop like a GTO and such. His daily driver was a pathfinder. the story's he told us about when he visited the GM factory, being young and about to enter this business, it kept me up at night...

We had the die hard ford fans in the class who would always battle with the GM lovers of the class. I feel in the middle being 16, my first car ( 1996 ) was a 1989 olds Calais. P.O.S) always braking down, rotting in the quarters. I guess when i got rid of that car for a 93 maxima, problem free, that made up my mind. and also like i said before, i see the majority of cars breaking down even today, happen to be American...... but i do love American pickups and suv's, but only the GM's......

Old 04-04-2008, 09:38 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,965,690 times
Quote:
Actually Hyundai is the only one I know of that offers a 100k mile warranty or 10 years whichever comes first.

And for what it's worth my 93 S-10 is pushing 174k on the original engine and trans, perhaps it can go a little further to 200k?

And that's not to say, you can get virtually any engine to go 200k with regular oil changes and not revving the snot out of it. Trannies their biggest killer is heat.

Dodge Intrepids...? Those things were built cheap. That's the problem, people had their Cavalier, Celebrity, or whatever cheaply built FWD car take a dump on them and base that conclusion that all American cars are junk, never mind there's still a lot of old Ford and Chevy trucks from the 60's still running around...or a 70 Nova or a Mercury Montego....as mention I believe around 1972 automakers really started getting cheap on cars, before that they seemed to run forever.

That seems to be the mystery here. American companies make great pickup trucks. Chevy and Ford seem to be able to make trucks that will last forever, but it never seems to carry over to their cars. Are the engineers who design trucks for GM and Ford just more competent than the engineers designing their cars? Who knows.

Hyundai isn't the only one with the 100,000 mile warranty these days, although I believe they were the ones who started it. Hyundai, I believe, is CRAP, which is why they need that warranty. But now I believe Suzuki has a 10 year warranty, and now Chevy has a 5yr/100,000 mile warranty. And I believe Dodge started some lifetime powertrain warranty.

In reality, a warranty is only as good as the car. If I take a crap in a box and put a warranty on it, its still a piece of crap in a box.

Last edited by FightinPhils; 04-04-2008 at 09:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive