Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 06:30 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,865,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
GM is building vehicles in China for the Chinese market. They are not for re-import to the U.S. market. Yet anyway.

although there are GM engines built in China for the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 07:08 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
I don't hate american cars;I just would buy one because of reliablity problems and low resale value.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:11 PM

402 posts, read 1,016,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I don't hate american cars;I just would buy one because of reliablity problems and low resale value.
Another good point! Resale value compared to a BMW or Porshe...no comparison.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:32 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,932,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
although there are GM engines built in China for the US.
I believe those engines can be found in the Chevy Equinox and Pontiac Torrent. I also believe they are assembled in Canada.

As for the Trailblazer, i don't know anything about it being assembled in China. I believe this year is the last year of production for the Trailblazer.

I know my '03 Trailblazer was made by Americans in Moraine, Ohio and has over 80% US Content, although this # may include some parts from Canada, as i believe automakers don't differentiate between the two.

Oh yeah, and Drover is right about those Buicks made in China. They are only for the Chinese market, so far. The Chinese love their Buicks!

GM FastLane Blog: Buick Is Popular in China? (http://fastlane.gmblogs.com/archives/2006/12/buick_is_popula_1.html - broken link)

Here's an interesting article on the American/Forgein debate, from last year:

How do you tell which car is more American? - USATODAY.com

Here's a content chart for just about every car in the U.S.
How American is that car? - USATODAY.com

Looks like most Toyotas, Lexus, Scion, along w/VW and Audi, among others are made overseas.

Quote:
Altogether, Toyota imported close to half of all the vehicles it sold in the USA last year from Japan, including all its gas-electric hybrids and most of its luxury Lexus division vehicles.

Honda's imports soared 30% last year, Mazda's rose 19%, and Suzuki's were up 23%, the Congressional Research Service finds in a new report. It says Japanese makers are simply trying to meet customer demand while running their U.S. plants at full tilt.
Quote:
All told, each of the Detroit automakers supports 2½ times more U.S. jobs than Toyota, says Jim Doyle, president of the Level Field Institute, a Washington research group. He acknowledges, however, that "people are trying to define what an American car is, and they are having a tough time."
Here's another great resource i posted in another thread.

2008 GM Vehicles Built by UAW Members in the United States (http://www.uawlocal1590.org/Pages/Misc/2008_UAW_GM_American_Made_Cars_And_Trucks.htm - broken link)

Old 03-29-2008, 11:40 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,774,443 times
So someone please inform me when American cars went foreign and foreign cars went American......???

Seriously I do not plan to buy junk. Give me a year....did they swap sides in some particulate year?

Old 03-29-2008, 12:39 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,865,038 times
That engine is in fact built in China. Here's a recent article even

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/26/bu...gewanted=print

Old 03-31-2008, 11:55 AM

156 posts, read 562,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I was told that they were building the Trailblazer there? I wasnt informed that they were only building them for the Chinese market. If thats the case, that doesnt bother me at all. Carry on...
The Trailblazer V6 engine is assembled in China from largely American machined parts then re-imported. Turns out it wasn't a huge gain economically. The optional V8 engine is sourced in the US. The old Saturn Vue Red Line, if I am not mistaken, had a Honda V6 in it. But the venerable and soon-to-be-retired all American-made GM 3800 V6 may be one of the most reliable, if not exciting, engines ever made.
In any case, as a car nut, this thread intrigues me. Cars across the board are built so much better than they were even 10 years ago that quality differences are largely academic. Having said that, IMHO, Japanese cars are still tops in quality but I would never buy one because they would put me to sleep and thus make me a menace to traffic! Well, I might buy a Mazda but most definitely not a Toyota. German cars are great driver's cars and look good, but the quality can still be very hit or miss - JD Powers confirms this. Again in my own humble opinion, Mercedes-Benz is the single most overpriced nameplate sold in America today. American cars are generally in between on all fronts, except their interiors tend to look cheap. So right now my vehicular compromise is a re-badged Mitsubishi Eclipse with extended wheelbase, a.k.a. Dodge Stratus Coupe (R/T with a 5-speed). Though they share the Stratus name, the sedan and coupe share very little else and are built on different platforms. Anyway, I'm generally quite happy with it, but that's because I did so much research that I should be happy with it (thank heavens for the internet). Quality has not been an issue.
The biggest lemon I ever owned was an '88 VW GTI - lots of fun to drive and very practical but it spent more time in the mechanic's garage than mine. My brother owns a prior generation BMW 325 that has also been in and out of the shop since he bought it. He makes fun of my pedestrian car but I make fun of him since my car cost thousands less, has more horsepower, gets better mileage, and has not given me a lick of trouble in nearly 50k miles. Heck, my R/T coupe even has a bigger trunk than the 325i sedan even though it's a coupe. I've also owned an '86 Sentra with literally zero options (hand-crank windows, no radio, manual trans of course) which turned out to be a lot of fun, and the light weight, front wheel drive and skinny all season tires combined to make it by far the best snow car I've ever driven (the low power may have kept it from skidding too).
To each his own, I say, but you're not doing yourself any favors making a purchasing decision based solely on some foggy notion of quality from 20 years ago. And for all you crossover buyers out there - take another look at station wagons. They are spacious as crossovers (sometimes even more spacious), with better handling and gas mileage. You can't lose!

Old 03-31-2008, 11:56 AM

156 posts, read 562,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLifes2shrt View Post
Another good point! Resale value compared to a BMW or Porshe...no comparison.
Yeah, but you're paying for that resale value up front anyway so in the end it's a wash...

Old 03-31-2008, 12:10 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,543,034 times
I was on another forum and a guy posted this about his mothers 2007 Acadia

"Here is a funny little story about my step mom's new 2007 GMC Acadia.

Rainy season is just around the corner here in the sunshine state, and the first downpour of the year came the other day. The day after the storm, she got in her car and realized that the floors were flooded. She assumed that she must have left the sunroof or one of the doors open, oops!

Well, yesterday when she took it through a car wash, she got to see what was really going down. The seat belt holes, and the Oh- handle holes were squirting water out into the cabin like little fountains! Apparently, the "drains" for the rainwater are not big enough from the factory, so this as the result. She took it in to get it fixed and the did a few of the other recalls as well. She got all new seats, new fuses for the aux power outlets and the inverter."

Good ole GM quality.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:35 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhEdo View Post
The old Saturn Vue Red Line, if I am not mistaken, had a Honda V6 in it
Youre correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive