Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2008, 01:21 PM

532 posts, read 1,567,571 times

Advertisements

In my experience german cars usually have horendous transmissions. As for hating american cars, I just hate all mini-vans, and crossovers, regardless of make. I've always liked dodge, they're coming out with some good products now, if you've read the recent car and driver track competition I think 2 dodges faired excellent for the prices, in different divisions as well. I don't know if theres specific problems that dodges tend to have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 07:37 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,817,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstover View Post
I love american made cars..

Me too, which is why I drive a Honda. My Ohio-made Accord is better than a Mexican-made Chevy anyday.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:53 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,715,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Me too, which is why I drive a Honda. My Ohio-made Accord is better than a Mexican-made Chevy anyday.
I only drive American made but more importantly American engineered

Old 11-18-2008, 08:09 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,817,492 times
Nevemind American engineering, I'm driving whatever car will keep me out of the repair shop as much as possible. And the bottom line is that the Japanese companies make more reliable long-lasting cars. I'm not driving an unreliable car and wasting more time and money with a headache car in the repair shop just so I can wave my flag and say I drive American.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:14 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,715,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Nevemind American engineering, I'm driving whatever car will keep me out of the repair shop as much as possible. And the bottom line is that the Japanese companies make more reliable long-lasting cars. I'm not driving an unreliable car and wasting more time and money with a headache car in the repair shop just so I can wave my flag and say I drive American.
No one should ever have to rely on a car, the car should have to rely on you. With that attitude I can drive any dilapidated piece of iron and still pay less in maintenance and repairs than you ever will!

Also could you provide some up to date studies to back that claim up? Those years are fading away buddy!

Old 11-18-2008, 09:47 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,331,239 times
I particularly don't "hate" domestic cars. It is just my preference to own/buy imports. On the other hand I would love to get my hands on a '68 Hemi Cuda.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:05 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
I use to get a new american made car every year were I worked and just got tried of the constant poor quality and time spent in taking it to the dealer. I have since gone to all toyota and honda in my family and the quality and the reliabilty are just plain better. I don't hate american cae(big 3) ;I just don't buy them for these reasons.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:48 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,345,684 times
The ten years I drove Toyotas were marked by hardly any repairs. I have third degree burn scars from a Ford Ranger that would have served me better had I set it on fire at the dealership the day I bought it. Although I expect this particular Administration and Congress to bail out the American car makers, a bailout is as useful as trying to save the blacksmith industry. Short-sighted management, greedy unions and designs forced by enviro-freaks and wrench-challenged engineers have very effectively ended an interesting chapter in America history. Most American consumers have now turned the page on that chapter. They don't hate the American auto industry. They simply recognize bad value.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:20 PM

694 posts, read 2,651,321 times
[quote]Although I expect this particular Administration and Congress to bail out the American car makers, a bailout is as useful as trying to save the blacksmith industry. Short-sighted management, greedy unions and designs forced by enviro-freaks and wrench-challenged engineers have very effectively ended an interesting chapter in America history. Most American consumers have now turned the page on that chapter. They don't hate the American auto industry. They simply recognize bad value.[/QUOTE

Spot on. Hard to feel compassion for the greedy.
They should shut up and get back to work.

Last edited by danco; 11-18-2008 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: uaw

Old 11-18-2008, 12:59 PM

5,475 posts, read 12,242,543 times
My American-made cars have been nothing but repair nightmares. My rice rockets have been nothing but regular maint (oil service, tires, brakes, etc). Better gas mileage, more dependable, holds value better over time. For someone like me who drives her cars until they drop, rice rockets make more sense to me. I'm not impressed with American-made cars at all..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive