Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 09:12 AM

9,541 posts, read 16,553,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Does anyone still have a TV small enough to fit through a window?

I do not have any 55" - 75" windows. I guess I am stuck with the TV (however we do nto watch television broadcasts, we just watch DVDS and netflix. Still mostly trash, but at least we control what, when something is on and skip the commercials).
I know what you mean. I live in a trailer. Very small wndows in these type homes. TVs are big today compared to years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 09:15 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,313,499 times
I don't think anybody knows the answers. They just wanted to annoy people. I am sure you noticed how "diverse" the occupants are.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:22 AM

444 posts, read 326,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I am sure you've all seen this Volvo commercial. I have, dozens and dozens times and still can't figure out who's who. The son, the blonde driver, the Indian guy in the back twirling a wedding band. What the... How is this supposed to sell more Volvos?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gdktZ373KI
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashtagusername View Post
Seriously though... Here is the ENTIRE COMMERCIAL. Not the one SHORTENED FOR TV.

Its beautiful, and appeals to grown, older adults. 40 plus.

I like it. A lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q0ePBvH18c
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
How is this supposed to sell Volvos, you ask?

One of the fundamental axioms of marketing is to get people talking about your product, for good or bad. Studies show that even bad book reviews increase book sales.

So, while this is an odd commercial and doesn't speak to the details of the car, it did compel OP to not only bring up volvo in an internet forum, but to generate a discussion about it, and handily, reproduce the ad itself by imbedding it in his post.

Good job.

Thanks, Volvo

Even goes back to my original post.. "If I can have experiences like this, COMFORTABLE and in my Volvo, I'm in."

Now. I just so HAPPEN to be a Volvo enthusiast, that has had Volvos before. But. Volvo appears to have FINALLY made a car - and, apparently, it's coming out soon, the V90, although I LIKE this XC90 - that has got my interest to a point where I would plink down and marry the payments on a new one. Volvo wasn't all that for a lengthy period of time. Just weird and quirky. The ones I like were BEASTS. Now that Ford is gone... They are again good.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:56 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,535,444 times
At least they aren't hugging trees in "Woodstock" (when the festival wasn't even in Woodstock).

Old 08-18-2016, 02:58 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,116,786 times
Quote:
I am sure you've all seen this Volvo commercial. I have, dozens and dozens times and still can't figure out who's who. The son, the blonde driver, the Indian guy in the back twirling a wedding band. What the... How is this supposed to sell more Volvos?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gdktZ373KI
My interpretation:

The guy in the back twirling his wedding band is the father.

The blonde is his daughter who just got married.

I think he's twirling his ring because he's thinking about his wife (who is not present because she has passed away).

I think the daughter plays the particular song on the stereo in memory of her late mother, which is why upon hearing it, the father smiles wistfully, leans forward and squeezes her shoulder.

I find this commercial to be very touching and endearing.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:17 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,922,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
My interpretation:

The guy in the back twirling his wedding band is the father.

The blonde is his daughter who just got married.

I think he's twirling his ring because he's thinking about his wife (who is not present because she has passed away).

I think the daughter plays the particular song on the stereo in memory of her late mother, which is why upon hearing it, the father smiles wistfully, leans forward and squeezes her shoulder.

I find this commercial to be very touching and endearing.
Why are they all in the car? Why is the woman in the wedding pictures a different woman, and who is she? Who is the woman who only appears for a second? Dead mother? Who is the other guy, and why are they there?

I think maybe the four of them just got married to each other in a group wedding. The guy in the back is reminiscing about his prior marriage and writing a letter to his daughter while he is on his honeymoon with his two new husbands and one new wife.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:27 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,487,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashtagusername View Post

Even goes back to my original post.. "If I can have experiences like this, COMFORTABLE and in my Volvo, I'm in."

Now. I just so HAPPEN to be a Volvo enthusiast, that has had Volvos before. But. Volvo appears to have FINALLY made a car - and, apparently, it's coming out soon, the V90, although I LIKE this XC90 - that has got my interest to a point where I would plink down and marry the payments on a new one. Volvo wasn't all that for a lengthy period of time. Just weird and quirky. The ones I like were BEASTS. Now that Ford is gone... They are again good.
2017's will drive themselves up to 80 mph. They are making some pretty big, fast improvements on them. I'm the same way, up until now even though I'm driving a 20+ year old 850 I wouldn't buy a new Volvo. I went and test drove an XC90 a couple months ago and was sold. Just waiting for the 2017's with the improved autopilot features.

Old 08-18-2016, 04:09 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,903,386 times
Quote:
...You see, the ad has us talking about Volvos!
Read the posts previous to yours and you'll see Volvo isn't even mentioned in the discussion.

Old 08-18-2016, 04:17 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,116,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Why are they all in the car? Why is the woman in the wedding pictures a different woman, and who is she? Who is the woman who only appears for a second? Dead mother? Who is the other guy, and why are they there?

I think maybe the four of them just got married to each other in a group wedding. The guy in the back is reminiscing about his prior marriage and writing a letter to his daughter while he is on his honeymoon with his two new husbands and one new wife.
WTF????

Really???

I'm done.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:26 PM

4,288 posts, read 2,064,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
After seeing it, I think I will buy a Ford.
I hope so I own stock. Although I am sure Ford has had some nonsensical commercials. The Chevy commercials about all the awards bother me to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive