Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 02:50 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,278,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I am sure you've all seen this Volvo commercial. I have, dozens and dozens times and still can't figure out who's who. The son, the blonde driver, the Indian guy in the back twirling a wedding band. What the... How is this supposed to sell more Volvos?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gdktZ373KI
Just very insipid and soulless Swedish fare. Down to the music. This has to be the most dreary dullest ad I have seen for quite some time.

I now think there is a refugee theme going on maybe in there. As Sweden took in quite a few refugees from Syria and the Middle East over the past couple of years.

So, maybe the typical Swedish approach to openmindedness at all costs. That might explain the bearded mullah ....lol....in disguise twirling the ring in the back seat.

To the woman driving , watch that rear view mirror for your dear life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 02:57 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,819,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
That's exactly what it didn't do. We are talking about Turkish guys, brides, wedding bands, blonde driver, or is it blonde bride. Volvo? There was a car in that commercial?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Well you did choose to talk about this commercial on the automotive forum, and not the TV or wedding forum...
Ah ha ha ha. GOT EEEM!

That was very clearly a car commercial. And right away you know it is upscale from the materials used and the sound system. A lot of premium cars do that. You see pretty people in the car just riding around looking pretty. Let the car commercials for the poor and unwashed beat you over the head with how many cup holders, how much crap you can stuff in them, how much they can tow, how big a rebate, etc. etc.

Old 08-17-2016, 03:19 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,972,476 times
I was trying to figure out why the young woman was so happy with that old guy in the back groping her. It did show the Volvo has electric windows, but I knew that already. In my daughter's Volvo the rear passenger window goes down every time she shuts off the car. No one know why. Maybe that is what they are trying to convey with this ad. Weirdness. "Weird things happen in Volvos - you should buy one."

They have not had a catchy campaign or slogan since "Boxy, but good."

Old 08-17-2016, 06:05 PM

444 posts, read 326,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Ah ha ha ha. GOT EEEM!

That was very clearly a car commercial. And right away you know it is upscale from the materials used and the sound system. A lot of premium cars do that. You see pretty people in the car just riding around looking pretty. Let the car commercials for the poor and unwashed beat you over the head with how many cup holders, how much crap you can stuff in them, how much they can tow, how big a rebate, etc. etc.
When I was showing off Volvo to a dear friend of mine, she made an excellent point: They only show off pretty white women. Like they are perfect.

Granted, she was (is? idk) a more Leslie Gordon (Ghostbusters) kind of woman, possibly rocking Mr. T haircut, with designs on the side, or some variation. "One of those..." but, still.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I was trying to figure out why the young woman was so happy with that old guy in the back groping her. It did show the Volvo has electric windows, but I knew that already. In my daughter's Volvo the rear passenger window goes down every time she shuts off the car. No one know why. Maybe that is what they are trying to convey with this ad. Weirdness. "Weird things happen in Volvos - you should buy one."

They have not had a catchy campaign or slogan since "Boxy, but good."
What about the 90s ad showing off either the 850 or 740 when they were going around in a circle and the circle was getting tighter etc? It had some kind of 4-8 note varied music to it.. Anyone know where I can see those old ads online? (Early 90s I want to say)

Old 08-17-2016, 06:15 PM

Want to see an ad that could be called "hard to follow?"

(*I've had people tell me I am crazy when I show them this.)

(And, in all seriousness, I think the ad is great. West Coast vibe and sleepy music, perfect and older people just driving around in their car, thinking about their daughter's wedding. The car is nice and they don't have to worry. And there is a normal-size guy in the backseat of their newest vehicle. Following the S90.. Volvo is "back," from the very brink. Glad they pulled it off.)

I have a certain favorite Volvo, but I am ... well, I may have issues. But its also their best car....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drtnU6whGDI

Old 08-17-2016, 06:20 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,105,560 times
I haven't seen the commercial. But wondering, being that it is a Volvo commercial, do they end up driving to a Starbucks?

Old 08-17-2016, 06:38 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,502,404 times
So have any of you actually test driven the new XC90? They are amazing cars. They outclass all of the competition, Mercedes, BMW, Audi, you name it, anything close in price and the Volvo kills it IMO. They are made in Sweden not China. The 2017 will drive itself up to 80 mph. They are releasing a V90 wagon based on the same platform as well.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:56 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,632,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
So have any of you actually test driven the new XC90? They are amazing cars. They outclass all of the competition, Mercedes, BMW, Audi, you name it, anything close in price and the Volvo kills it IMO. They are made in Sweden not China. The 2017 will drive itself up to 80 mph. They are releasing a V90 wagon based on the same platform as well.
Wow, that wagon made me want to put my house up for sale to buy one! Class from top to bottom.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:50 PM

730 posts, read 1,662,500 times
I have seen the commercial several times and still do not understand what they are trying to communicate.

If the blonde woman is married to the bearded guy, why is he in the back seat looking at a wedding ring. Who is riding shotgun looking at the screen on a camera - is he the photographer?

Totally ill conceived, totally off point. Even worse than those Lincoln commercials with Matthew McConaughey. Well maybe not worse but certainly "up there".

Whatever happened to commercials that extolled the virtue of the product instead of the "moment"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive