Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 07:24 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,880,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
It is funny how some people can get caught up trying to figure out the race of a person which in turn causes them to miss the point of a commercial to begin with. Or that is a prerequisite in determining if they will even like an ad, its message or the product being presented. It really isnt that deep and doesnt matter.

People lost their minds over a damn Cheerios commercial with a mixed kid and her parents. If some tanned dude looks middle eastern to you and it keeps you from noticing the premium SUV in that commercial youve got issues.
It was an SUV? I will have to go back and look, I thought it was a sedan.

Do they ever show the outside of the vehicle?

Do they ever say what it is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashtagusername View Post
What about the 90s ad showing off either the 850 or 740 when they were going around in a circle and the circle was getting tighter etc? It had some kind of 4-8 note varied music to it.. Anyone know where I can see those old ads online? (Early 90s I want to say)
I do not remember it. However you did remind me of that British car show (forget the name) where they tried to destroy some old junkers and they simply cold not wreck the Volvo. Not a volvo ad, but certainly one of the best plugs for Volvo ever.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:36 AM

9,540 posts, read 16,540,899 times
It's just trash. Throw the TV out the window, and read a book.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:39 AM

444 posts, read 325,612 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB-HDGWCrfk

Old 08-18-2016, 07:41 AM

444 posts, read 325,612 times
Seriously though... Here is the ENTIRE COMMERCIAL. Not the one SHORTENED FOR TV.

Its beautiful, and appeals to grown, older adults. 40 plus.

I like it. A lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q0ePBvH18c

Old 08-18-2016, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
It's just trash. Throw the TV out the window, and read a book.
Does anyone still have a TV small enough to fit through a window?

I do not have any 55" - 75" windows. I guess I am stuck with the TV (however we do nto watch television broadcasts, we just watch DVDS and netflix. Still mostly trash, but at least we control what, when something is on and skip the commercials).

Old 08-18-2016, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashtagusername View Post
Seriously though... Here is the ENTIRE COMMERCIAL. Not the one SHORTENED FOR TV.

Its beautiful, and appeals to grown, older adults. 40 plus.

I like it. A lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q0ePBvH18c
Much better. Still not sure why it has anything to do with the car. I like the lighthouse and rainbow, but where are the butterflies?

Also I do not get who the blonde lady is at the end. Apparently not the daughter because the gal in the wedding pictures on the camera is someone else. Is she supposed to be the wife?

Why did the dad take off his wedding ring? If he has been married long enough to have an adult daughter, how in the heck is he able to get it off. There is no way I could get mine off. It is pretty well grown into my finger. My knuckles are bigger and so are my fingers.

Why do they zoom in on the door? I looks like it might be a speaker. Not sure what that has to do with anything.

Who is the other guy in the back seat?

If it is the groom in the front seat, why is the lady in the front seat someone different than the lady in the wedding picture? If the wedding is over, what is the dad doing in the car? Going on the honeymoon with them?

Maybe the mom is supposed to be the one driving the car and the other two guys re brothers and they are on their way home from the wedding. But if so, the mom is way too young and skinney to be the mom of two adult boys and an adult daughter. Step mom? Trophy wife? Maybe the dad's refrence to making mistakes is a reference to marrying the brides mom instead of waiting for the trophy wife. But that would be a weird thing to say at his daughters wedding.

Then there is some other lady who pops up in the middle sitting alone in the car - is that the first wife/mom?

What about the two guys with the loving look exchanged, are they getting married too?

It is intriguing. Makes me want to study it when I can focus in order to figure out what is going on, kind of like a short story.

It does nothing to make me want to buy a Volvo, not unless I get to live in the rainbow lighthouse for a year if I buy one.

It does remind me of dropping my daughter off at college and having to pull over on the way home because I was so overwrought I could not drive. We were not driving the volvo though, her stuff would not fit in the volvo. In fact, I can barely fit int he volvo. They are not real comfortable for tall people who are old and stiff. (Speaking of that, how did the Dad get into the back seat? Ouch. - see the ad did make me think about Volvos for a minute.

At least they show the car a bit more it the video. At one point when the shoot from behind the car as it goes down the road, it appears to be bouncing like it has bad shocks.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 08-18-2016 at 08:11 AM..

Old 08-18-2016, 08:31 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,385,785 times
How is this supposed to sell Volvos, you ask?

One of the fundamental axioms of marketing is to get people talking about your product, for good or bad. Studies show that even bad book reviews increase book sales.

So, while this is an odd commercial and doesn't speak to the details of the car, it did compel OP to not only bring up Volvo in an internet forum, but to generate a discussion about it, and handily, reproduce the ad itself by embedding it in his post.

Good job.

Thanks, Volvo

Last edited by ABQConvict; 08-18-2016 at 09:49 AM..

Old 08-18-2016, 08:52 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,797,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
It was an SUV?
Yes.
Quote:
I will have to go back and look, I thought it was a sedan.
Should be very easy to do with a link to youtube at the beginning of this thread.
Quote:
Do they ever show the outside of the vehicle?
Yes.
Quote:
Do they ever say what it is?
Yes. Volvo XC90 Hybrid.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:03 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,797,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Much better. Still not sure why it has anything to do with the car. I like the lighthouse and rainbow, but where are the butterflies?
Wat.
Quote:
Also I do not get who the blonde lady is at the end. Apparently not the daughter because the gal in the wedding pictures on the camera is someone else. Is she supposed to be the wife?
I agree. I think the blonde at the end is the beard guy's wife. They are the parents of the bride.
Quote:
Why did the dad take off his wedding ring? If he has been married long enough to have an adult daughter, how in the heck is he able to get it off. There is no way I could get mine off. It is pretty well grown into my finger. My knuckles are bigger and so are my fingers.
Cool story.
Quote:
Why do they zoom in on the door? I looks like it might be a speaker. Not sure what that has to do with anything.
Bowers and Wilkins make high end audio speaker systems. So to show off that this is a premium vehicle they are showing you that it has high end audio. Not like the Sony or Pioneer or Bose Branded systems in cheaper cars. Is has plenty to do with it because this is a car commercial and they are trying to sell cars. But with subtlety and style and not beat people over the head with features like cheaper cars typically depicted in commericals.
Quote:
Who is the other guy in the back seat?
I dunno, maybe his son, maybe a friend that rode with them.
Quote:
If it is the groom in the front seat, why is the lady in the front seat someone different than the lady in the wedding picture? If the wedding is over, what is the dad doing in the car? Going on the honeymoon with them?
He is not the groom. We see the groom one time driving in a flashback next to the same Indian guy when he says, "You found/met Jacob." The groom is wearing shades while he drives. We only see the bride on the display of Indian dude's camera. I think that is the mom on another occasion reflecting about her daughter when she is alone in the car on another occasion with different clothes. They are going back home in their car and the bride and groom are gone already on their honeymoon in some other Volvo.

I can't follow your post any further.

Last edited by Tourian; 08-18-2016 at 09:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive