Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 08:27 PM

308 posts, read 499,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
That's exactly what it didn't do. We are talking about Turkish guys, brides, wedding bands, blonde driver, or is it blonde bride. Volvo? There was a car in that commercial?
Yes you are talking about Turkish guys, brides, blonde driver, etc. But you are still talking about a Volvo commercial. You even mentioned "Volvo" in your title... in an "Automotive forum". We may not be talking about the Volvo car directly in this thread. But the commercial caught your attention and lured you in...it provoked your thoughts. It made a lasting impression on you. (Enough to make a post about it) It's name-branding. You remembered it as the "Weird Volvo commercial" And since this post was made, you help promote their Volvo brand by others clicking on link and watching the commercial. There are lots of commercials that have nothing to do with what they are trying to sell. Like the Coca-cola commercial with polar bears?? Or years ago Budweiser did one with frogs? Either way they caught the attention of viewers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 08:57 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalam321 View Post
Yes you are talking about Turkish guys, brides, blonde driver, etc. But you are still talking about a Volvo commercial. You even mentioned "Volvo" in your title... in an "Automotive forum". We may not be talking about the Volvo car directly in this thread. But the commercial caught your attention and lured you in...it provoked your thoughts. It made a lasting impression on you. (Enough to make a post about it) It's name-branding. You remembered it as the "Weird Volvo commercial" And since this post was made, you help promote their Volvo brand by others clicking on link and watching the commercial. There are lots of commercials that have nothing to do with what they are trying to sell. Like the Coca-cola commercial with polar bears?? Or years ago Budweiser did one with frogs? Either way they caught the attention of viewers.

Yea, Coke with bears, Bud with frogs, yet me and many people talked about it, but did not purchase those products.

There is talk of "that is interesting, I will try it out", and there is talk of "wtf was that?"

Unless someone lives under a rock, I doubt that they never heard of Volvo. I doubt their sales are going to boom because of this commercial, and is there anyone on this thread that is going to buy a Volvo due to the commercial?

Hell, they advertise drug company commercials all damn day, every day, but myself and many others are not rushing out to the doctor to tell them I need such and such drug.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:10 PM

606 posts, read 731,039 times
Ya'll got it all wrong. In the upcoming third commercial, here is what happens....

Distracted "Mom" doesn't see the farm truck pulling out and the Volvo stops automatically...

Dad drops his ring accidently and looses it in the plush leather seats....

Camera boy drops his expensive camera ruining all the photos of the wedding....

Announcer comes on and says something like, "buy a Volvo so you won't get killed on your daughters wedding day"

Old 08-17-2016, 09:11 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,864,669 times
I bought a new Volvo 242DL in '75 and it turned out to be the most undependable car I have ever owned, after two years, I was ready to drive it off the cliff. Cost a bundle to have it serviced and I would have had AAA on speed dial if cell phones were around in those days. Sorry, no more Volvos for me.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:56 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,287,522 times
Volvo never recovered from the crash of 2008. It could disappear anytime, once again. Chinese ownership doesn't help either. With so many choices in the market why would anyone buy a Volvo? The last Volvo I noticed on the road was this

Old 08-17-2016, 10:15 PM

308 posts, read 499,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Yea, Coke with bears, Bud with frogs, yet me and many people talked about it, but did not purchase those products.

There is talk of "that is interesting, I will try it out", and there is talk of "wtf was that?"

Unless someone lives under a rock, I doubt that they never heard of Volvo. I doubt their sales are going to boom because of this commercial, and is there anyone on this thread that is going to buy a Volvo due to the commercial?

Hell, they advertise drug company commercials all damn day, every day, but myself and many others are not rushing out to the doctor to tell them I need such and such drug.
I agree with you. I'm not going to run out and buy one either. It's not telling you to run out and buy one tomorrow. It's telling you to associate the Volvo brand with family and happy moments. Similar to Subaru commercials. Again, Name branding. Some people may relate to it, some may not.

I'm not trying to argue with anyone, just saying what the commercial intentions are. I agree it is confusing and it doesn't do anything for me either. But I'm sure it does resonate to some of the car buying population.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:45 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,857,927 times
I'm glad someone else didn't understand that ad either. I watched it a couple of times and never could figure out what they were trying to say.

Don

Old 08-18-2016, 06:34 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,839,563 times
Did someone say something about a car?

Old 08-18-2016, 06:42 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,839,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
That guy is neither Indian NOR Turkish. He's just a guy with a beard - and a Southern accent.

He is, in fact, the father of the BLONDE WHITE bride.

Sheesh! This is why profiling is so bad. White bigots can't really tell one brown from another, or even who is really brown

Continue to think you know that a poster is either white or a bigot because he (according to you) didn't get a TV commercial character's nationality correct in an original ad in which he wasn't even speaking.

Thanks for the laugh.

Last edited by Delahanty; 08-18-2016 at 06:52 AM..

Old 08-18-2016, 07:07 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,786,698 times
It is funny how some people can get caught up trying to figure out the race of a person which in turn causes them to miss the point of a commercial to begin with. Or that is a prerequisite in determining if they will even like an ad, its message or the product being presented. It really isnt that deep and doesnt matter.

People lost their minds over a damn Cheerios commercial with a mixed kid and her parents. If some tanned dude looks middle eastern to you and it keeps you from noticing the premium SUV in that commercial youve got issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive