Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 07:42 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,612,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
I don't know about the 6, but I rented a 3 for a weekend once. Ya, i know... it was a rental... but still.
It was a torquey little thing, but built like a tin can. When I got back into my Prius that I had at the time it felt like I just stepped into a Mercedes!

Umm ok..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 09:57 AM

6,650 posts, read 7,268,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
Here again, agree! I sort of chaps me that here on C-D, Toyota, Sion, Lexus are grouped together and even M-B and Smart are grouped together but NOT Audi and VW or even Porsche.
It's because Audi, Porsche, Bugatti, Lamborghini etc...didn't spawn off from VW. VW came in and bought them.

Old 03-05-2016, 10:19 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,058,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
Hey guys! Well, I really like how luxury cars handle and feel, especially with all of the un-smoothness in the road.

I was thinking about a mercedes because it just feels like you are driving on a cloud; however, I've heard they are becoming really unreliable now...

are BMWs/Mercedes becoming very unreliable? Or is it more of the small components like shocks, radio, etc...Im primarily concerned about the engine and transmission. I currently have a lexus @ 170k miles and never had a single issue except normal wear and tear...but the new models just drives so much better esp over the potholes in colorado.

Anyhow, any opinions? my range is maybe up to a 40k car so I was looking and the C mercedes, X1 BMW suv, Q5 audi SUV or the NX lexus SUV

again my main concern is the motors and transmission for the 2010 - 2016 models and up
Infiniti...

I have driven older models of Lexus and Infiniti...Found both of them to be very similar, except the Infiniti has higher accelaration and simply roars in higher RPMS...They were very smooth on the highways..

Test drove older German brands Audi and MB but I found them to be too noisy and were too faster for me initially. I prefer accelarating slowly and cruising..

Personally I would try the Genesis too..which should be more reliable than German brands.

Old 03-05-2016, 11:06 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,965,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
You know, I think the electrical issues are a small thing.
We had a Passat from the era when most of the parts seemed to have the four rings stamped on them. If it was only one electrical issue, it would be small. But it's probably not going to be one issue, it's likely going to be constant whack-a-mole with recurring issues and even rewiring the car and replacing the dread comfort control module is not necessarily going to resolve it.

Old 03-06-2016, 03:09 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,731,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
I laugh when people describe Lexus as a fancy/expensive Toyota. You must have never sat in and drove a Camry then a Lexus ES back to back. Night and day difference in refinement from the minute you close the door.

The only Toyota that is somewhat comparable is the Avalon which always seemed like a confused vehicle to me. Its sort of like Lexus with down syndrome.
Prior to the current generation, the Lexus ES could have best been described as "a Camry in a tuxedo" since they were identical underneath the sheetmetal. The current generation? "An Avalon in a tuxedo." Which would bring it back to "Camry" since the Avalon is on a stretched Camry platform.

There's much less commonality between Lexus and Toyota when you get away from the ES, RX, and LX.

Old 03-06-2016, 05:19 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,269,670 times
I have owned or leased all but Audi, so of the other three I would pick Lexus every time.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:36 AM

924 posts, read 1,030,600 times
thanks guys, I believe I will stick to the lexus/toyota brand

I was reading the difference between lexus and camry and they are actually manufactured differently: by more precise and accurate construction. I guess less machine and more human work for reliability, although they are almost the same vehicle.

Must mean something when a few of my friends drive lexus and they are 200k miles + with no major issues. I currently have 170k miles on mine; believe it or not, it is all stock equipment still! Except the belts and sparks. However, I need to change O2 sensors now since its going bad.

I am thinking in the near future to get the NX brand....or I should stick with my current rx330 and just keep driving it since its been trouble free; not sure

Old 03-08-2016, 06:27 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,623,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
thanks guys, I believe I will stick to the lexus/toyota brand

I was reading the difference between lexus and camry and they are actually manufactured differently: by more precise and accurate construction. I guess less machine and more human work for reliability, although they are almost the same vehicle.

Must mean something when a few of my friends drive lexus and they are 200k miles + with no major issues. I currently have 170k miles on mine; believe it or not, it is all stock equipment still! Except the belts and sparks. However, I need to change O2 sensors now since its going bad.

I am thinking in the near future to get the NX brand....or I should stick with my current rx330 and just keep driving it since its been trouble free; not sure
The RX330 is a fine vehicle that will give you many more years of service. I'd stick with it for another few yrs or so. With that mileage it'll be hard to get a decent trade in value or find a buyer willing to fork over decent cash for it.

Old 03-11-2016, 01:35 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,989,810 times
I agree with @louie0406 it would be pointless to trade/sale because you're not going to get anything for it due to the mileage. You should wait till it needs a repair which at that point it wouldn't be worth it to repair it, so just call it a lost and get your new ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive