Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 01:29 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,578,098 times

Advertisements

As the owner of 2 BMW's and 1 toyota....Buy the toyota (Lexus).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 01:29 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,085,641 times
My Audi A4 has over 140,000 miles on it with NO issues and still drives like new. The reliability stuff is not reliable information, so I don't bother with it. Cars these days go on and on no matter what you buy for the most part. Get the car you like the best. I prefer an AWD car with a 6 speed manual that gets over 30 mpg and handles like a dream in rain and snow. Easy decision for me. I don't like Lexus or Mercedes. BMW is my second choice. I have owned several. This current Audi I am driving is just my favorite car I have ever owned and it is hard to give it up. Maybe I will drive it to the 200K mark.

Old 03-03-2016, 01:36 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,616,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
My Audi A4 has over 140,000 miles on it with NO issues and still drives like new. The reliability stuff is not reliable information, so I don't bother with it. Cars these days go on and on no matter what you buy for the most part. Get the car you like the best. I prefer an AWD car with a 6 speed manual that gets over 30 mpg and handles like a dream in rain and snow. Easy decision for me. I don't like Lexus or Mercedes. BMW is my second choice. I have owned several. This current Audi I am driving is just my favorite car I have ever owned and it is hard to give it up. Maybe I will drive it to the 200K mark.
You're one of the lucky ones I guess.

Friend of mine owned an Audi A4 that was plagued with electrical issues.

Old 03-03-2016, 01:45 PM

11,557 posts, read 53,331,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
you don't mention the year of your A4 ...

but I've got three friends who bought A4's in the last several years ... who had repeated problems that were borderline "lemon law" buy-back cars. To say that they were disappointed with the cars might be an understatement. One of the cars spent more time in the first three years at the dealership than it did in the possession of the car owner.

On top of that, I have two acquaintances (one, the wife of my RE agent, and the other the wife of one of my doc's) ... who had A4's that blew up the engines with oil related issues a few miles out of warranty. Both cars were serviced at their Audi dealerships in accordance with all of their products and schedule. No corners were cut on maintenance and repairs, these cars weren't touched except by the dealerships. In both cases, Audi refused any warranty or goodwill adjustment. These cars were neither babied or abused by their older, conservative drivers who simply depended upon them for reliable transportation in a 4-season climate with a long winter snow season in the Colorado mountains. And they loved driving the cars ... "pride and joy", these were kept up in heated garages, too.

Old 03-03-2016, 01:52 PM

11,557 posts, read 53,331,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
And for some, many cars don't come close to what they consider enjoyable about the driving experience
indeed.

that's why I've not yet been able to part with the last of my BMW cars. Still has an appeal which I can satisfy now and then when I take it out of the hangar for a weekend drive.

but it will never again be a daily driver, only a "fun" car for the nostaglia.

kind'a like when I have to satisfy the itch to put a key into the ignition of my AlfaRomeo 2-liter spyder and try to have a day when I recall it's past good memories of a wonderful day of driving it. If it wasn't so cheap to license and insure and leave parked at the end of my equipment row, I'd have driven it to the boneyard years ago.

Old 03-03-2016, 03:53 PM

4,630 posts, read 3,826,937 times
The only problem with leasing German cars is if you drive a lot - that is my problem. Leasing doesn't make sense because I drive closer to 20k miles a year, and would still like to try out a BMW/Audi/MB. Right now, I'm leaning towards MB.

Old 03-03-2016, 04:07 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,817,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
you don't mention the year of your A4 ...

but I've got three friends who bought A4's in the last several years ... who had repeated problems that were borderline "lemon law" buy-back cars. To say that they were disappointed with the cars might be an understatement. One of the cars spent more time in the first three years at the dealership than it did in the possession of the car owner.
We've had several Audis from 2002 to 2014 and never any more issues than any other cars, including toyota. In fact, our prius felt like it was falling apart after the first year. Terrible quality feeling car. Our Audis just keep going and feel great year after year.

Old 03-03-2016, 04:54 PM

187 posts, read 282,656 times
All my Benzes were of yesteryear: 190E-210k miles. 190D; 240D; 300D; 300TD. All diesels except the 190E

All went to great lengths with minimal costs; just basic maintenance. The 300TD went 386,000 miles before the the driver floor gave out due to salt erosion.

Although the gas 190E went 210,000 miles it was more problematic.

Today they're more into dashboard glitz and gizmos. Had I the money I'd get a Lexus fully loaded, but instead got a 2016 Subaru Outback.

Lexus is a higher end Toyota..they're the same, just like Audi is a higher end VW. VW owns Audi.

cheers...

Old 03-03-2016, 05:49 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,414,655 times
A lot of what you like (smoothness, refinement) depends on the model, all of the makes listed have models that ride smoothly and ones that do not.

In general a longer wheelbase= smoother ride, it's just physics. SUVs also have more suspension travel thanks to increased ride height, better ground clearance for potholes.

In your price range, to me it makes more sense to buy a fully loaded version of a normal car. A Toyota Highlander Limited for example is 7/10ths a Lexus RX, but far cheaper.

Old 03-03-2016, 05:53 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,736,242 times
In terms of reliability and long term cost of ownership, my experience with Mercedes, Audi, and Lexus suggests that you should stick with Lexus. Just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive