Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 03:45 PM

190 posts, read 219,735 times

Advertisements

I must admit, the quality of Mercedes has been slipping for some time - their interior materials - the plastics, woods, and leathers - are extremely cheap. I notice the same thing about BMW - interior style has deteriorated and there's definitely an air of cheapness among these makes.

Audi, on the other hand has vastly improved their vehicles since the 1980's. The quality of their interior materials is mind blowing. I always wonderred why Audi isn't as popular as Mercedes or BMW.

As far as I'm concerned, the product is just better, and this is throughout the entire lineup.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 03:53 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Id disagree. Sit in a mid-90's BMW 5 series and go sit in a 07 model, the quality has vastly improved.

Of the bunch, Id pick BMW as theyre the most pure. They dont offer AWD and only this year did they use turbos to make power (unless there were some older models that might have utilized a turbo). They stick with RWD and also handle the best. Audi has the nicest looking sedans, IMO, but theyre too concerned with pleasing the AWD and automatic trans crowd. BLECH. Mercedes is making strides too, but I just dont like Benz because they generally all look the same. I cant tell them apart sometimes. lol Audi interiors are probably the most luxurious, BMW close behind (minus the STUPID I-drive crap) and Benz last. Benz interiors are notoriously cold and boring, you can count me out!!!! I also like BMWs M series cars the most of the 3. I like them more than Audi's high performance division (I forget their dang name for some reason) and better than Benz's AMG division. Im just glad the Chris Bangle designs (BMW) are gone.

Old 09-25-2007, 04:09 PM

578 posts, read 3,063,110 times
For looks Audi they look lovely inside and out not so keen on the newer BMW's the shapes can look a bit strange not so much the 3 series. Not really into the Merc's don't know much about them and don't really pay attention to them. I have only driven the BMW and as a fan of RWD they are fun in the rain and snow especially the 3 series.

Old 09-25-2007, 04:34 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,716,727 times
garbage, garbage, and garbage.

I own a S Class (lemon replacement) and would I trust it on a long trip? No way. My father had 2 Audi A8's, 2 S Class' and an SL and my sister owns a 2006 BMW 750. All these vehicles have had their fair share of problems.

I was all set to buy a 2006 650i BMW last spring when I requested the vehicle for the weekend. I had the car and wouldn't you know? The dash lit up like a Christmas tree. That Monday morning I took it back and said no thanks.

My next car will be an Acura RL or a Lexus. Resale, quality, and reliability can't be beat.

Old 09-25-2007, 04:37 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,716,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinity & beyond View Post
I must admit, the quality of Mercedes has been slipping for some time - their interior materials - the plastics, woods, and leathers - are extremely cheap. I notice the same thing about BMW - interior style has deteriorated and there's definitely an air of cheapness among these makes.

Audi, on the other hand has vastly improved their vehicles since the 1980's. The quality of their interior materials is mind blowing. I always wonderred why Audi isn't as popular as Mercedes or BMW.

As far as I'm concerned, the product is just better, and this is throughout the entire lineup.

What do you think?
I think the 5000CS Turbo fiasco in the 80's killed Audi and they are now starting to rebound. I wish the same, terrible fate for Mercedes-Benz.

Old 09-25-2007, 05:02 PM

951 posts, read 1,654,765 times
Love BMW's, think Audi has some excellent designs, cannot stand M-B. Having owned a couple of 3 series cars in the past, they seem to be more driver oriented. My boss has an Audi S4 Quattro V8 twin turbo and I must admit, it really screams. The shifter still feels like the one on my 1984 Rabbit GTI though! A co-worker had the CLK AMG coupe and it also was fast, but the electronic gremlins drove him to the verge of insanity.

I will say, the electronics in these cars are a pain in the arse. Everything is now controlled by modules and they can be horrific in price to replace.

Hate to be the one to say it, but the Lexus models are vastly superior in many ways, especially resale value. I had the chance to drive an LS 430 a couple of years ago and I was blown away. It was quiet, fast, comfortable, and had a Nakamichi sound system that was out of this world.

Old 09-25-2007, 05:10 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,696,569 times
I vastly disagree with the OP, I definetly think BMW has the best interior quality. I've driven an '07 BMW 3 Series and the interior was extremely comfortable, luxurious, and functional. I've also ridden in 5 Series and 7 Series and both have an interior to match the price tag; I personally believe the 3 Series is the best bang-for-your-buck out there with a starting price at around $30K and still fairly well-equipped.

I've never cared for Mercedes EXCEPT for the CLS Class which has been dubbed a "4 door coupe"; it's quite a nice vehicle but it's not cheap and isn't too reliable. The rest of their models are expensive with cheap a build quality and interior materials you'd find on a sub $30K vehicle, not on a $50K+ one.

Audi makes nice cars but I just don't care for the styling, it's just not appealing. The interiors are nice but BMW's are better in my opinion. The Audi TT is the only model that seems appealing to me but I'd still take a 335Ci.

The only luxury vehicle maker that combines reliability, high-quality interiors, and semi-affordable price tags would be Lexus. I know tons of people who drive Lexuses and most of them swear to never buy anything else.

Old 09-25-2007, 05:37 PM

1,921 posts, read 6,427,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Of the bunch, Id pick BMW as theyre the most pure. They dont offer AWD
Not true, BMW does in fact offer AWD in several models. Any BMW with "x" in the model signifies an AWD vehicle.

For example:
328xi
335xi
528xi
535xi

Old 09-25-2007, 05:55 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
BMW's interiors have always been pretty austere and "down to business" as a matter of design aesthetic, with the exception of their high-end models. But the 3- and 5-series interiors have always been pretty grounded. I also disagree with the general proposition that the interiors of any of the German marques has gone downhill. I've owned a 1987 Audi and a 1987 Porsche and my parents own a 1997 BMW; and the difference between any of those interiors and today's cars could not be more stark.

Old 09-25-2007, 05:59 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,420,189 times
I had the money, and I was ready to buy my dream car...a BMW. But I was greatly disappointed when I test drove a 3 series. It was pretty much like my Camry, just felt heavier. Then I tried a Mercedes...I liked it better, but I hated the square hump in the back seat. Audi...sorry, I hate Audis and have heard too many horrible things about reliability and service.
I settled for an Acura TSX. It's OK...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive