Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 12:16 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,391,103 times

Advertisements

I have owned BMWs for 20 years and the quality of the interior has definitely deteriorated. My last BMW is completely cheapo inside. I have had countless pieces break off the doors and the seats, the leather is poor quality and the seat belts constantly stick. But the car is the sports model and it drives great. I have, however, had to have it towed from my driveway four times, because it wouldn't start. It was something different every time and the car only has 30,000 miles on it! I'm tired of the constant repair and breakage of parts. When the trunk lock broke last month and I had to send off to the factory to get a new security lock part to the tune of $600-- and that still didn't fix the problem-- I decided it's time to try something else.

I have just about decided on a Benz CLK 500. A Lexus is luxurious, but it just seems boring. I don't think the Audis look as sleek as a BMW or a sporty Benz. And the Benz is definitely a step up on luxury and comfort inside. If I were going to drive the Autobahn, I'd probably stick with the BMW. But for cruising around town, I'm thinking the CLK. Unless, of course, someone tells me it's an even bigger lemon than the one that's already squeezing me dry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 01:18 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,159,014 times
goodbyehollywood ... while my experience with CLK's is secondhand, members of our family have 2 (or more) of them in their garages, with various engines from base up through top of the line since this car series came out.

More properly, I should say that they own the cars, but the dealerships seem to have had possession of them more than the owners. There hasn't been a 4 week period I can think of that any of these cars hasn't been at the dealership for mechanical or electronics related failures/driveability problems. The stream of driveability probs started with intermittent/erratic braking on their first CLK convertible and hasn't alleviated since .... I recall they bought that car and got less than 6 months actual use out of it in the first year, traded it off for a new 500 series with more power ....

Were it not for the snob appeal of that three pointed star on the hood, I believe my relatives would sell their Benz's for another product line in a heartbeat. They get more functional driving use from their domestic manufactured mini-vans than the MB's; that's after many satisfactory years of service from the 1970-1980's series diesels and a 230 sedan.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:31 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,249,485 times
I realize this discussion is about the German made vehicles but I was wondering, is there a good or bad comparison to be made with the Swedish cars - SAAB or Volvo? Are these in the same league?

Old 09-26-2007, 01:44 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I realize this discussion is about the German made vehicles but I was wondering, is there a good or bad comparison to be made with the Swedish cars - SAAB or Volvo? Are these in the same league?
Saab and Volvo, IMO, are not as good as German makes. Theyre not the worst cars ever made, but I just like the German cars better.

Old 09-26-2007, 02:57 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,391,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
goodbyehollywood ... while my experience with CLK's is secondhand, members of our family have 2 (or more) of them in their garages, with various engines from base up through top of the line since this car series came out.

More properly, I should say that they own the cars, but the dealerships seem to have had possession of them more than the owners. There hasn't been a 4 week period I can think of that any of these cars hasn't been at the dealership for mechanical or electronics related failures/driveability problems. The stream of driveability probs started with intermittent/erratic braking on their first CLK convertible and hasn't alleviated since .... I recall they bought that car and got less than 6 months actual use out of it in the first year, traded it off for a new 500 series with more power ....

Were it not for the snob appeal of that three pointed star on the hood, I believe my relatives would sell their Benz's for another product line in a heartbeat. They get more functional driving use from their domestic manufactured mini-vans than the MB's; that's after many satisfactory years of service from the 1970-1980's series diesels and a 230 sedan.
Wow, sounds like the CLKs are just as problematic as the BMWs, sunsprit. Has the day of the German car being superior mechanically as well as aesthetically passed? I really don't know what to get. After my last experience, I know I wouldn't want to own a BMW out of warranty. Mine would have cost me thousands of dollars in repairs for a very low mileage car! Hmmm... what to buy... Maybe I'll just get a Sebring and call it a day!

Old 09-26-2007, 03:31 PM

951 posts, read 1,653,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
Maybe I'll just get a Sebring and call it a day!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-26-2007, 03:57 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,298,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
Wow, sounds like the CLKs are just as problematic as the BMWs, sunsprit. Has the day of the German car being superior mechanically as well as aesthetically passed? I really don't know what to get. After my last experience, I know I wouldn't want to own a BMW out of warranty. Mine would have cost me thousands of dollars in repairs for a very low mileage car! Hmmm... what to buy... Maybe I'll just get a Sebring and call it a day!
Yeah, watch out for those BMWs ("Big Money Worries"), Mercedes and Audis. Several models of those cars have been problematic. In the shop quite often. If I were going to spend $30,000+ on a car, I want it in my driveway, not in a shop!
That's why I would choose a Lincoln Town Car over those German things. The Town Car is roomier, too.

Old 09-26-2007, 03:58 PM

1,921 posts, read 6,426,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
However, theyre still the most pure of the 3.
I completely agree!

Old 09-26-2007, 04:01 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I think thats the problem with most cars these days (minus Lotus). . .
Which is why I said the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
My main concern with the 3-series, and this is a complaint I have across the industry, is bloat.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:25 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Which is why I said the following:

I know, I just had to agree with you. Cars are too porky. In fact, of all cars offered today, the ONLY ones that really get my blood going (from a purist aspect) are the Elise and Exige. Maybe the Atom also, but thats a little too extreme. Speaking of which, my old boss just bought one and all I gotta say is HOLY CRAP. Its got the Cobalt supercharged motor (from the SS) rather than the conventional n/a Honda motors. Its beyond insane. It accelerates like a 750cc Gixxer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive