Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 04:32 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,407,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Yeah, watch out for those BMWs ("Big Money Worries"), Mercedes and Audis. Several models of those cars have been problematic. In the shop quite often. If I were going to spend $30,000+ on a car, I want it in my driveway, not in a shop!
That's why I would choose a Lincoln Town Car over those German things. The Town Car is roomier, too.
But I want a sporty little car. I'm gearing up for a midlife crisis, you see, and want to be appropriately at-tired. So I want vroom-vroom, instead of roomy.

But, yes, I would prefer it in my driveway, instead of my mechanic's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 04:33 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,735,641 times
For whoever said Lexus reliability was overrated; you're dead wrong! It's probably the most reliable automaker on the road today. The interior quality is also top-notch surpassing BMW and MB.

The one thing Lexus needs to work on is it's sport-performance area; the IS is NOT a sports sedan like the 3 Series. It's engine doesn't have enough horsepower nor does the handling even come close to a real sports sedan. Lexus are made for luxury not performance as of now.

Old 09-26-2007, 05:45 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,444,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
For whoever said Lexus reliability was overrated; you're dead wrong! It's probably the most reliable automaker on the road today. The interior quality is also top-notch surpassing BMW and MB.

The one thing Lexus needs to work on is it's sport-performance area; the IS is NOT a sports sedan like the 3 Series. It's engine doesn't have enough horsepower nor does the handling even come close to a real sports sedan. Lexus are made for luxury not performance as of now.
Huh? Well, let's see... the current entry-level 3-series has 230HP. The current entry-level IS has 204HP. The current top-of-the-line 3-series has 300HP while the current top-of-the-line IS has 306HP. The upcoming high-performance 3-series (M3) is rated at 400HP. The upcoming high-performance IS (IS-F) will be rated "at least" 400HP according to Lexus. So horsepower deficiency compared to the 3-series is not an issue except maybe at the entry level.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:15 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,978,876 times
The Lexus and BMW 3 series have two totally different rides. I've driven the Lexus and I own the BMW and there is a HUGE difference. Now take into consideration my BMW is the sports one in comparison. The Lexus has the "float" ride like one would expect in a Cadillac. It is more for the "older" generation. The BMW handles totally like a sports car in driving, turning, etc. While the Lexus may have some HP now it still does not have the sports drive that the BMW offers. If you want the luxury "float" drive then go w/ the Lexus or on up to a 5 series BMW w/o the sports package. Otherwise for a person that wants a fun driving car that can corner like a sports car but still have the luxury appeal then it is the BMW.

As for problems on the 3 series they really are not that problematic as I've watched the forums for BMW. Mine has been in the shop for routine maint and the tire issue and that is it. We did have a problem w/ one spot on the interior of the drivers door but that is being replaced under warranty and they have changed it up because of it. I'd say after 2 years next month my car has only been in the shop to what would amount to a week and that is it and most of that is all maint (oil change and such). Oh, and they delivered my car to my home and picked up the loaner .

Old 09-26-2007, 06:44 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,215,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post

And; supposedly, the 1993 Lexus LS400 is arguabiley (sp) the most reliable car ever built.

Now for a good laugh: till recently, one could not buy a Lexus in Japan.

But; Toyota would gladly sell you a Toyota Celsior

Old 09-26-2007, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryfry View Post
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why not?

Prior to DaimlerChrysler splitting apart a few months ago; the only DCX cars/trucks that earned Consumer Reports 'Recommended' label were the PT Cruiser, Durango, and one or two others---------every Mercedes Group vehicle was gigged for being unreliable.

I am sorry: it is pretty damn sad when a $15K PT Cruiser is more reliable in absolute terms than a ca. $100K S Class Benz!

Old 09-26-2007, 07:18 PM

951 posts, read 1,661,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Why not?
Well, beside being a bit tongue-in-cheek, out of all the Chrysler cars, the Sebring is one of the most popular for me in terms of part sales. I'm not sure how the newer ones will do, but previous units have had their share of problems.

Don't get me wrong. I've owned my share of Chryslers. They are just OK. That's all.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryfry View Post
Well, beside being a bit tongue-in-cheek, out of all the Chrysler cars, the Sebring is one of the most popular for me in terms of part sales. I'm not sure how the newer ones will do, but previous units have had their share of problems.

Don't get me wrong. I've owned my share of Chryslers. They are just OK. That's all.
Point taken:

I am in the auto repair field as well......mostly alignment, brake and suspension work.

As for owning a Sebring; I think not either

Old 09-26-2007, 08:01 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,407,425 times
Actually, I, too, was being tongue-in-cheek. I don't want a Sebring, either. I want a Benz or a BMW that will not be in the shop all the time. And if not those two, then a sporty performance car with a decent interior that will be worth its $30K or $40K price tag. Otherwise, why pony up the premium? Since you two are in the auto biz, what is this elusive vehicle? Does it even exist? The BMW used to fit that spot quite nicely. But, really, the one I have now is pretty much crap. And expensive crap at that! Though I'm sure my mechanic is quite fond of it.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
Actually, I, too, was being tongue-in-cheek. I don't want a Sebring, either. I want a Benz or a BMW that will not be in the shop all the time. And if not those two, then a sporty performance car with a decent interior that will be worth its $30K or $40K price tag. Otherwise, why pony up the premium? Since you two are in the auto biz, what is this elusive vehicle? Does it even exist? The BMW used to fit that spot quite nicely. But, really, the one I have now is pretty much crap. And expensive crap at that! Though I'm sure my mechanic is quite fond of it.
Detroit Three: one vehicle comes to mind; Dodge Charger V8, it is basically a variation of the previous generation Mercedes E Class but with decent electrics and a Hemi engine.

Asians: some variety of Lexus or possibly an Infiniti M45

Euros: run like hell if you want reliability.

I limited my choice to 4 door RWD sedans due to you presently driving a which BMW eliminates Acura, most Chevy's, etc..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive