Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 08:19 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,992,116 times

Advertisements

I think for the amount of money you want to spend you should stick with Lexus. If you're going to get a Mercedes it should at least be the E class if you want value/reliability and I wouldn't recommend buying a Mercedes used. I wouldn't recommend Audi or BMW at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 09:19 PM

8,218 posts, read 3,771,999 times
Ok, I had a 3 series to 170k+, and the engine or electrical was never an issue. Basically as good as new (better than any brand new toyota, btw). Where there other issues, yes, they were, as any car would have with this type of mileage. Including annoying window regulators, an issue, that does not seem to be resolved in the new models either. I still a had a lot of trouble letting that car go.
Lexus - well you can get a toyota for less.
mercedes - anything I ever tried had a very detached feel.
Audi is better but not the same.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:33 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,582,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
You're one of the lucky ones I guess.

Friend of mine owned an Audi A4 that was plagued with electrical issues.
You know, I think the electrical issues are a small thing. That's my opinion. It's the cooling systems on BMW that drive me bonkers, because it can kill the car. Faulty mass air sensors and false electrical codes seem like small potatoes, I'm sure you will agree. Annoying, yes. But have the entire cooling system decay and leak coolant....That's a different matter altogether.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:41 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,961,521 times
take BMW off the list because no BMW drives like "it's on a cloud" if that's what you're into. They have stiff suspensions, by design for handling. The run-flats don't help "smoothness" either.

Agree with Lexus based on your criteria/concerns.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:46 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,629,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Ok, I had a 3 series to 170k+, and the engine or electrical was never an issue. Basically as good as new (better than any brand new toyota, btw). Where there other issues, yes, they were, as any car would have with this type of mileage. Including annoying window regulators, an issue, that does not seem to be resolved in the new models either. I still a had a lot of trouble letting that car go.
I laugh when people describe Lexus as a fancy/expensive Toyota. You must have never sat in and drove a Camry then a Lexus ES back to back. Night and day difference in refinement from the minute you close the door.

The only Toyota that is somewhat comparable is the Avalon which always seemed like a confused vehicle to me. Its sort of like Lexus with down syndrome.

Old 03-04-2016, 10:01 AM

973 posts, read 923,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Then I suppose instead of an Audi, you can get a VW for less...

Old 03-04-2016, 10:19 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,625,681 times
If I want a Japanese car with German handing, feel, Etc. I would go find a Mazda Speed 6 very fast very reliable as well. While not as flashy as some others the cars were very good looking might be a bit smaller then what you might be looking for though. Down side for some is that it only came with a 6 speed manual.
They were also all-wheel drive which is always a big bonus.
Just my two cents any ways.

274 hp @ 5500 rpm & 280 ft-lbs. @ 3000 rpm.
Attached Thumbnails
bmw v mercedes vs lexus vs audi-2006-mazda-mazdaspeed6-photo-109824-s  

Old 03-05-2016, 06:50 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,824,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
If I want a Japanese car with German handing, feel, Etc. I would go find a Mazda Speed 6 very fast very reliable as well. While not as flashy as some others the cars were very good looking might be a bit smaller then what you might be looking for though. Down side for some is that it only came with a 6 speed manual.
They were also all-wheel drive which is always a big bonus.
Just my two cents any ways.

274 hp @ 5500 rpm & 280 ft-lbs. @ 3000 rpm.
I don't know about the 6, but I rented a 3 for a weekend once. Ya, i know... it was a rental... but still.
It was a torquey little thing, but built like a tin can. When I got back into my Prius that I had at the time it felt like I just stepped into a Mercedes!

Old 03-05-2016, 07:35 AM

3,769 posts, read 5,907,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
I laugh when people describe Lexus as a fancy/expensive Toyota. You must have never sat in and drove a Camry then a Lexus ES back to back. Night and day difference in refinement from the minute you close the door.

The only Toyota that is somewhat comparable is the Avalon which always seemed like a confused vehicle to me. Its sort of like Lexus with down syndrome.
Agreed ( from an owner).

Old 03-05-2016, 07:36 AM

3,769 posts, read 5,907,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffypoopoo View Post
Then I suppose instead of an Audi, you can get a VW for less...
Here again, agree! I sort of chaps me that here on C-D, Toyota, Sion, Lexus are grouped together and even M-B and Smart are grouped together but NOT Audi and VW or even Porsche.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive