Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2024, 06:29 AM

5,708 posts, read 5,985,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
The buzzards picking apart the remains of SHR are rumored to be Front Row, 23XI and Trackhouse.

That leaves one charter left. Dale Jr anyone?
Jr already said he wasnt going to go Cup racing. Front Row is somewhat "confirmed" with Berry driving the car. For what its worth 23XI buys a charter because Hamlins contract is up this year, so he drives for 23XI, the last - Trackhouse with a different driver all together. What gets me is how all of these so called fans pop up saying how bad this is for the sport, and how much they will miss those drivers, and on and on, while the whole time Stewart bashed Nascar more than most fans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2024, 09:49 AM

17,745 posts, read 15,527,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Jr already said he wasnt going to go Cup racing. Front Row is somewhat "confirmed" with Berry driving the car. For what its worth 23XI buys a charter because Hamlins contract is up this year, so he drives for 23XI, the last - Trackhouse with a different driver all together. What gets me is how all of these so called fans pop up saying how bad this is for the sport, and how much they will miss those drivers, and on and on, while the whole time Stewart bashed Nascar more than most fans.

You need people like Stewart, tho.. Who are outspoken and will call out the things that need to be called out. Just like you needed a Jeff Burton who would call them out on safety. Your 'garage leaders' if you will.

What I will say.. This is probably better than them continuing on as a second or third tier team.

Junior has in the past indicated that he DOES want to wind up in Cup. Now, whether now is the time or not.. But.. I think the endgame does wind up with JR Motorsports running Cup. It's just a matter of timing.

What people are missing here.. Not only do you have Preece, Berry, Gragson and Briscoe looking for rides.. With odds that Berry goes to FRM and Briscoe being a likely fit to replace Burton at the Wood Brothers..

You also have Cole Custer and Riley Herbst looking for rides as well.

Scuttlebutt is that Custer's dad, who is the team manager for SHR, may take a charter for him.. Start his own team. That.. Sounds like it wouldn't end overly well to me.

Preece. He has done nothing to indicate that he's in line for another Cup ride. So far as I know, he has no sponsorship that he can bring to the table. Herbst has money from Monster that will make him attractive.. Possibly back at JGR in Xfinity. Gragson has Black Rifle Coffee and Bass Pro tied to him.

You also have some sponsors to deal with here. Haas likely will kick some money somewhere. Mobil 1.. Mahindra apparently renewed for multiple years with SHR.. What happens to them?

Oh.. And Xfinity Ford.. RSS and AM Racing are the teams left there. Neither of which is a powerhouse, with the best driver outside of SHR being Ryan Sieg in 14th place in points. And.. AM Racing is basically there for Hallie Deegan to wreck cars. Sieg has made a jump this year, seeming that.. Maybe.. He's figuring things out. But.. He's 36. Not exactly a young, up and comer.

Old 05-29-2024, 11:48 AM

9,915 posts, read 10,867,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
You need people like Stewart, tho.. Who are outspoken and will call out the things that need to be called out. Just like you needed a Jeff Burton who would call them out on safety. Your 'garage leaders' if you will.

What I will say.. This is probably better than them continuing on as a second or third tier team.

Junior has in the past indicated that he DOES want to wind up in Cup. Now, whether now is the time or not.. But.. I think the endgame does wind up with JR Motorsports running Cup. It's just a matter of timing.

What people are missing here.. Not only do you have Preece, Berry, Gragson and Briscoe looking for rides.. With odds that Berry goes to FRM and Briscoe being a likely fit to replace Burton at the Wood Brothers..

Scuttlebutt is that Custer's dad, who is the team manager for SHR, may take a charter for him.. Start his own team. That.. Sounds like it wouldn't end overly well to me.

Preece. He has done nothing to indicate that he's in line for another Cup ride. So far as I know, he has no sponsorship that he can bring to the table. Herbst has money from Monster that will make him attractive.. Possibly back at JGR in Xfinity. Gragson has Black Rifle Coffee and Bass Pro tied to him.

You also have some sponsors to deal with here. Haas likely will kick some money somewhere. Mobil 1.. Mahindra apparently renewed for multiple years with SHR.. What happens to them?

Oh.. And Xfinity Ford.. RSS and AM Racing are the teams left there. Neither of which is a powerhouse, with the best driver outside of SHR being Ryan Sieg in 14th place in points. And.. AM Racing is basically there for Hallie Deegan to wreck cars. Sieg has made a jump this year, seeming that.. Maybe.. He's figuring things out. But.. He's 36. Not exactly a young, up and comer.
I absolutely agree NASCAR losing Tony and to a lesser degree Gene Haas Is a huge loss for NASCAR. Tony was one of the last remaining connections to the old school NASCAR. That seems odd to say all things considered but that is what time it is in the sport. Yes Tony has made it quite clear in recent years he wasnt happy with NASCAR and much of the direction they have gone.
As far as Custer goes I think you are right. Kevin Harvick said on his podcast Tony and Gene had basically become hands off owners and let the people in place run it... Well that would be Custers dad right.
https://www.foxsports.com/stories/na...nbelievable-me

Old 05-29-2024, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
I absolutely agree NASCAR losing Tony and to a lesser degree Gene Haas Is a huge loss for NASCAR. Tony was one of the last remaining connections to the old school NASCAR. That seems odd to say all things considered but that is what time it is in the sport. Yes Tony has made it quite clear in recent years he wasnt happy with NASCAR and much of the direction they have gone.
As far as Custer goes I think you are right. Kevin Harvick said on his podcast Tony and Gene had basically become hands off owners and let the people in place run it... Well that would be Custers dad right.
https://www.foxsports.com/stories/na...nbelievable-me

Look.. Tony and Gene haven't made the greatest of decisions themselves.

Ryan Newman. He was let go probably 3 years too soon. Now, admittedly, he was shown the door in favor of Harvick and.. It's hard to argue that. But.. They could have found room for him, it seems.

Kurt Busch.. Much the same. They replace him with Suarez, and ditch him after a year for Custer.

And then.. The grand bull moose winner of mixed opinions.. Danica. We can have a big list here of the good and bad. The thing is.. The bad is about like Walter White's list in Breaking Bad when he was debating killing Crazy 8.. The one thing on the kill him side was "He'll kill you and your whole family".. Much the same with Danica.. The bad is.. She sucked as a driver and tore up tons of equipment.

But.. The good.. With GoDaddy, she was bringing in sponsorship money. Marketing.. It was a win. So, hard to call signing her a mistake from a financial standpoint. At least, up until GoDaddy left.

Old 05-29-2024, 03:30 PM

9,915 posts, read 10,867,194 times
Quote:
Look.. Tony and Gene haven't made the greatest of decisions themselves.

Ryan Newman. He was let go probably 3 years too soon.
Now, admittedly, he was shown the door in favor of Harvick and.. It's hard to argue that. But.. They could have found room for him, it seems.

Kurt Busch.. Much the same. They replace him with Suarez, and ditch him after a year for Custer.

And then.. The grand bull moose winner of mixed opinions.. Danica. We can have a big list here of the good and bad. The thing is.. The bad is about like Walter White's list in Breaking Bad when he was debating killing Crazy 8.. The one thing on the kill him side was "He'll kill you and your whole family".. Much the same with Danica.. The bad is.. She sucked as a driver and tore up tons of equipment.

But.. The good.. With GoDaddy, she was bringing in sponsorship money. Marketing.. It was a win. So, hard to call signing her a mistake from a financial standpoint. At least, up until GoDaddy left.
Felt the same way about Newman and the Suarez deal was completely mind boggling and as you say Danica was all about the go daddy $$$s.
The really sad part to me is that 4 team right now seems to be starting to gel, Gragson and Briscoe improving. I hope that somehow that 4 team can end up together wherever it is they land.

Old 05-30-2024, 05:49 AM

5,708 posts, read 5,985,188 times
Quote:

See, my problem with Tonys complaints have always been, since he retired, is he would make the comments, and go on and do something else like he didnt really care, and I dont think he did. Its almost like he wsa just there as a figure head of sorts. Im also willing to bet that these complaints have also led to tension between he and Hass and thats one of the reason for the shut down. Smoke just dont give a damn anymore. I suspect in a few years he will feel the same about the NHRA.

As far as Jr goes, he just recently made the comment about not going Cup racing, and I dont see him doing it anytime soon at all. He has so much on his palte now that owning a Cup team would take too much time from his, how to say it, other activities, and quite frankly, Im not so sure hes willing to give up his family life for a Cup team.

FRM's Bob Jenkins released a statement yesterday basically saying they are getting one of the charters and teams from SHR. I cant recall where I read it, but apparently the Xfinity teams are set and are/will be sold in tact.

Something I just heard, Boyer subbing for LaJoie this week, but I think it was meant as a joke when I saw it. Nothing eklse mentions it I could find. But really, Im so far out of the loop now Im not sure what to beleive and what nt ot. I havent watched but 1 race all year, excpet for Indy.

Old 05-30-2024, 06:18 AM

5,288 posts, read 6,238,366 times
I am just a casual NASCAR fan now and I usually tune in for the last 50 laps unless it is a road course and definitely not as knowledgeable as some of you that contribute here on this thread.

I don’t fully understand the charter system but have read lately about their value diminishing and the rising costs of funding teams and it’s how it is becoming nearly impossible to be a money making enterprise.

I knew Haas racing was big but damn 300 employees. I just don’t see how it is going to remain sustainable for the smaller teams in the future with sponsorships becoming so hard to nail down and the costs to maintain a team.

I agree with others who have said it would be great for the sport if Dale Jr was to buy a charter but I think he knows how much of a soul and money sucking enterprise owning a team is now.

I think Stewart grew weary of dealing with NASCAR, he was pretty strong minded and NASCAR with all its rules and dictatorship was rubbing him the wrong way.

I think if Dale senior was still alive he and some of the other big racing teams could have maybe convinced and stopped NASCAR from some of their poor decisions over the years.

Last edited by JBtwinz; 05-30-2024 at 06:29 AM..

Old 05-30-2024, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
See, my problem with Tonys complaints have always been, since he retired, is he would make the comments, and go on and do something else like he didnt really care, and I dont think he did. Its almost like he wsa just there as a figure head of sorts. Im also willing to bet that these complaints have also led to tension between he and Hass and thats one of the reason for the shut down. Smoke just dont give a damn anymore. I suspect in a few years he will feel the same about the NHRA.

As far as Jr goes, he just recently made the comment about not going Cup racing, and I dont see him doing it anytime soon at all. He has so much on his palte now that owning a Cup team would take too much time from his, how to say it, other activities, and quite frankly, Im not so sure hes willing to give up his family life for a Cup team.

FRM's Bob Jenkins released a statement yesterday basically saying they are getting one of the charters and teams from SHR. I cant recall where I read it, but apparently the Xfinity teams are set and are/will be sold in tact.

Something I just heard, Boyer subbing for LaJoie this week, but I think it was meant as a joke when I saw it. Nothing eklse mentions it I could find. But really, Im so far out of the loop now Im not sure what to beleive and what nt ot. I havent watched but 1 race all year, excpet for Indy.

Bowyer is driving in the truck race. He's driving the 'star car' for Spire.

At one level, you have to understand why Tony is off doing other things. What I don't quite get.. He's off doing other racing things. The man has literally spent his life in racing of one form or another. You'd think.. It'd be more understandable if he pulled a Carl Edwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
I am just a casual NASCAR fan now and I usually tune in for the last 50 laps unless it is a road course and definitely not as knowledgeable as some of you that contribute here on this thread.

I don’t fully understand the charter system but have read lately about their value diminishing and the rising costs of funding teams and it’s how it is becoming nearly impossible to be a money making enterprise.

I knew Haas racing was big but damn 300 employees. I just don’t see how it is going to remain sustainable for the smaller teams in the future with sponsorships becoming so hard to nail down and the costs to maintain a team.

I agree with others who have said it would be great for the sport if Dale Jr was to buy a charter but I think he knows how much of a soul and money sucking enterprise owning a team is now.

I think Stewart grew weary of dealing with NASCAR, he was pretty strong minded and NASCAR with all its rules and dictatorship was rubbing him the wrong way.

I think if Dale senior was still alive he and some of the other big racing teams could have maybe convinced and stopped NASCAR from some of their poor decisions over the years.

What people don't think.. Dale would most likely be dead by now. He'd be 73. So.. First off, he'd have been retired from driving for quite some time. With the Earnhardt family history of heart problems.. it doesn't really speak to him still being with us.

Would DEI still be around? Well.. Hmm. It wouldn't have ended when or how it did. Dale could have kept it together. and, in that meantime, would he have made an official will directing what should happen to it?

Old 05-30-2024, 02:24 PM

5,288 posts, read 6,238,366 times
73 is still young and Shelby managed to keep himself alive but you are right nothing is guaranteed in this life. I don’t know if he would been able to made a difference but it seems right now the drivers and teams are at the whims of NASCAR’s leadership.

Old 05-30-2024, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
73 is still young and Shelby managed to keep himself alive but you are right nothing is guaranteed in this life. I don’t know if he would been able to made a difference but it seems right now the drivers and teams are at the whims of NASCAR’s leadership.

I'd just point back to the Darlington incident. When the 'aliens abducted him'.. Pretty sure that was his joke.. But I think it was 1997 at Darlington.. He basically passed out on the first lap. While no medical tests turned up anything wrong.. That sure isn't a good sign of heart health.

I really am curious as to when he would have retired. And I don't believe he would have FULLY retired. Let's say he was alive today and well at 73.. It would not surprise me at all if he was still running DEI that he hopped in a third/4th/5th car for at least Daytona.

But.. Also think.. If he were still around.. It's HIGHLY likely that Jerry Nadeau wouldn't be with us anymore.. Michael McDowell's Texas wreck.. I don't think he survives in the G5 car.. Interesting to think out the butterffly effect on it.

Anyway.. As to his retirement. As a full time driver for Childress.. I can't really see him going past 2005. No real evidence to back it up.. Just.. I think he would want to focus more time on his team. 100% DEI wouldn't have had the sponsor problems it did. NAPA, Budweiser and Pennzoil would probably still be with them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing