Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2024, 02:19 PM

6,679 posts, read 3,317,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I bet Martin was fuming as he crawled over that finish line.

Him and Kyle Busch probably went out for a few strong drinks.
You got THAT right!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2024, 05:34 AM

5,724 posts, read 6,018,213 times
Truex expected to announce retirement today @ 4pm.

Old 06-14-2024, 05:48 AM

9,808 posts, read 10,049,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Truex expected to announce retirement today @ 4pm.
Dang it, hate to see that. A remarkable journey for Martin.

Current Stewart-Haas Racing driver Chase Briscoe, who became available when SHR announced two weeks ago that it would shut down at the end of the season, is the top candidate to replace Truex according to reports.

Old 06-14-2024, 08:22 AM

5,795 posts, read 4,818,704 times
It seems as if Briscoe is a foregone conclusion, but I really don't get it. Chandler Smith from xFinity seems a more logical choice. Already drives for Gibbs, devout Christian, and has won at all levels.

Old 06-14-2024, 09:16 AM

6,679 posts, read 3,317,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Dang it, hate to see that. A remarkable journey for Martin.
I agree. I've always been a fan of his, as he came up through the "east coast, asphalt modified" circuit, my all-time favorite division. However, between his personal loss of Sherry, and what appears to be a lot of "confusion" occurring on his team, I can understand his decision....

Good luck to him in the future.

Old 06-14-2024, 12:11 PM

17,799 posts, read 15,614,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
It seems as if Briscoe is a foregone conclusion, but I really don't get it. Chandler Smith from xFinity seems a more logical choice. Already drives for Gibbs, devout Christian, and has won at all levels.

It may come down to sponsorship.. I've heard Briscoe brings some with him.. Maybe Mahindra?

Smith and Heim.. Both of which look really good so far as being future stars. Don't have that.

Remember that, most likely, Bass Pro leaves the team. No idea about Reser's or Auto Owners. Interstate, obviously, will sponsor a few races each year for JGR.. That's always been on the 18 in cup until this year.

But, they probably can be counted on for 6 races, maybe they're all on the 19.

Briscoe makes little sense.. I wonder if that's just things people are speculating on. Like the 'rumors' of Kyle returning to JGR. RC has an option year on him. He won't let him go I don't think. But.. The argument has some logic. RC takes a buyout of KB's option year, KB returns to Gibbs.. RC takes Gragson with his Bass Pro sponsorship. there's SOME logic there, but.. I don't see it. More odds that Dillon is out and Gragson takes that ride.. Which I think would probably be renumbered. I don't think the 3 would stay.

Of course.. Ty Dillon is out there, too, without a real ride. We know the nepotism at RCR.

Anyway.. Touching on something there.. Gragson is a former Toyota development driver.. Has sponsorship with Bass Pro (As well as Black Rifle).. So.. If not Smith or Heim.. Of the SHR drivers, I'd think he'd be top of the list unless Briscoe brings full season Mahindra or something. Continue a sponsor relationship.

Smith, supposedly, may be heading to 23XI

Heim.. Really needs more time in lower series.. My opinion. Let him take over Smith's #81 in the Xfinity for a year or two.. At which time.. In theory.. Denny's probably retiring as well. I honestly think if Denny were to win a championship.. He retires. Like him or not, let's be honest.. What else does he have to accomplish other than that? So.. There you go.. Heim takes over the #11 in about two years. Denny probably runs one-offs for 23XI.

That.. Pretty much leaves the Gray boys (Tanner and Tyler) on the outside looking in. MAYBE they wind up at Legacy or 23XI if a change needs to be made at either of those. They seem that they might grow to be servicable drivers.. I don't see superstar in them, but, maybe an Almirola level. My opinion.. Legacy's got some good drivers now. They're much improved now with Toyota, but.. They still have another step to climb. 23XI is a championship caliber team now. Maybe not with Wallace, but I do think Reddick, while it'd be a bit of a shock, I think he could win a championship now.

Oh.. And then there's Sheldon Creed. I don't know that there's a driver that wants it more.. And he's quite the talented driver, but.. There's just something there. Kinda like Hemric. Runs good most of the time, but.. Has a real hard time winning. He'll get into cup.. But.. I dunno how successful he'll be.

I hate to be 'that guy' here.. But.. Why would anyone want to drive for RCR? Grumpy Grandpa isn't putting great cars out there, at least in cup. Xfinity, they're certainly competitive and, if I'm not mistaken, the #2 shares the lead in wins.. Jesse Love who is quite talented has won as well and probably should have won more than once. But.. You have to deal with RC. The slightest transgression against him and he's going to bad mouth you everywhere. Yet.. He, IMO, screwed over Daniel Hemric and.. That was perfectly fine. I've just.. Lost some respect for RC and his handling of things over the past 5-10 years.

Old 06-14-2024, 08:49 PM

5,795 posts, read 4,818,704 times
Don’t forget Austin Hill. Dude can drive and he has enough personality to attract attention.

Old 06-15-2024, 09:44 AM

9,922 posts, read 10,883,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Don’t forget Austin Hill. Dude can drive and he has enough personality to attract attention.
Hard to imagine RC letting Austin Hill get away but unless AD steps out or Childress buys a charter...
I also don't get the hype with Briscoe. Truex ride is the top ride open by a lot, probably for a good while is Briscoe really the best of the bunch looking for a ride next year?

Old 06-17-2024, 08:29 AM

17,799 posts, read 15,614,097 times
Iowa.. Cup side.. Decent racing in the field.. Poor for the lead. Xfinity race had even more blown tires than the cup race.

Hopefully the track gets better over a few years of harsh Iowa winters.

Old 06-18-2024, 10:18 AM

9,808 posts, read 10,049,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I hate to be 'that guy' here.. But.. Why would anyone want to drive for RCR? Grumpy Grandpa isn't putting great cars out there, at least in cup. Xfinity, they're certainly competitive and, if I'm not mistaken, the #2 shares the lead in wins.. Jesse Love who is quite talented has won as well and probably should have won more than once. But.. You have to deal with RC. The slightest transgression against him and he's going to bad mouth you everywhere. Yet.. He, IMO, screwed over Daniel Hemric and.. That was perfectly fine. I've just.. Lost some respect for RC and his handling of things over the past 5-10 years.
Can we now say that KB and RCR has been a bit of a disaster? I mean, it started out good in 2023, 3 wins. Seemed like the #8 was on the right track.

Now it seems like it has gone badly off track. The 8 car has shown some speed this year, but they are by no means competitive with the top cars/teams.

A reporter asked KB at Iowa if he would be open to a return to JGR. Kyle implied that he would, or HMS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing