Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2024, 10:58 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,811,110 times

Advertisements

I've been seeing a few news articles that talks are heating up about Honda becoming the fourth manufacturer.

If Honda would come in 2026 hypothetically, which team or teams do you think they would like to work with?

As for a flagship team, SHR, but they will need to improve with the Chevy's they have now to show they are worthwhile. Their contract with Ford is up for renewal. Switching alliances has seemed to have helped Legacy so far this season.

Spire would also be a good fit, especially if Honda wants to start out with truck racing first. Trackhouse is doing good in Chevy, but Justin Marks could pull a fast one.

Penske is interesting since Roger has had a relationship with Honda previously, races with Chevy in Indy and Ford in Cup.

I would expect Honda to model Toyota's lead and just stick with one, possibly two teams, depending on their size, at the beginning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2024, 11:20 AM

17,573 posts, read 15,243,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I've been seeing a few news articles that talks are heating up about Honda becoming the fourth manufacturer.

If Honda would come in 2026 hypothetically, which team or teams do you think they would like to work with?

As for a flagship team, SHR, but they will need to improve with the Chevy's they have now to show they are worthwhile. Their contract with Ford is up for renewal. Switching alliances has seemed to have helped Legacy so far this season.

Spire would also be a good fit, especially if Honda wants to start out with truck racing first. Trackhouse is doing good in Chevy, but Justin Marks could pull a fast one.

Penske is interesting since Roger has had a relationship with Honda previously, races with Chevy in Indy and Ford in Cup.

I would expect Honda to model Toyota's lead and just stick with one, possibly two teams, depending on their size, at the beginning.

SHR is really the only fit. We don't know what they'll be running next year, but their contract with Ford is up and.. Honestly.. FRM is outperforming them at this point.

You'll get a few of the lower end teams that will move to Honda and there's rumors that Andretti might come in if Honda does. Similar to what Team Red Bull did with Toyota.

I don't know that SHR is good enough to elevate Honda. It took JGR coming over for Toyota to step up, that was a team with nearly 20 years of experience, a team that was building its own chassis.. Building its own engines.. Remember that Mark Cronquist who started at Hendrick was the lead engine builder for JGR.. I think Toyota got JGR mainly for him.. because.. Toyota's engines weren't good until JGR and TRD basically merged the engine programs. JGR pretty much builds all the Toyota engines still, I believe. Technically, TRD does, but TRD is basically Gibbs' old program.

SHR builds their chassis in house, but they're getting engines from Roush-Yates. if Honda can't find a hell of an engine builder.. They'll have problems. And, before you say "They'll spend the money to get one".. Remember.. Toyota had to flip Gibbs to get one.

So far as I know. there's no other team that could switch that builds engines. Hendrick builds theirs. The rest of the chevy teams are from ECR which is Childress. There's two teams that will NEVER flip.. Even though Hendrick does have a pretty big relationship with Honda, I believe. Fords are all Roush-Yates and.. I can't see Ford letting them break away.

If they were smart.. They'd be in Trucks a few years.

Old 03-20-2024, 01:53 PM

5,672 posts, read 5,875,351 times
Does Honda even have a production V8? Isnt that one of the rules is that a manufacturer have to have a V8 in production? I recall something about Toyota was only able to race because they have a V8 in the Land Cruiser and Tundra. I may be wrong.

Old 03-21-2024, 09:20 AM

17,573 posts, read 15,243,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Does Honda even have a production V8? Isnt that one of the rules is that a manufacturer have to have a V8 in production? I recall something about Toyota was only able to race because they have a V8 in the Land Cruiser and Tundra. I may be wrong.

I think most of those old rules have gone out of the window. I don't remember all the details on them, but there had to be a production run of at least 500(?) vehicles.. Had to be 2 door.. Back when Ford switched from the Thunderbird to the Taurus I think many of those went by the wayside.

Old 03-21-2024, 02:13 PM

5,672 posts, read 5,875,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I think most of those old rules have gone out of the window. I don't remember all the details on them, but there had to be a production run of at least 500(?) vehicles.. Had to be 2 door.. Back when Ford switched from the Thunderbird to the Taurus I think many of those went by the wayside.
I would have thought so too, especailly with the COT and such, but I did a little research, and as hard as it was to find, it was easier to lose, but the rule book doesnt say the manufacturer has to have a V8 in a production vehicle, but they do have to have a V8, which, while they have a 3.0? for their Indy program, they do not have a V8 that would be Nascar approved, nor do they currently have a car that would "fit" the templates, but that could be tweeked, much like the Supra. (Factory has a BMW engine) The Accord does fit the bill, and has been used in other series succesfully. SO, it looks like at least 2 more years for Honda to R&D a car, but by then there wont be enough fans to care, so I suspect Honda wont be in Nascar.

Old 03-24-2024, 01:47 PM

5,170 posts, read 6,133,704 times
Love the road courses so I will be watching from start to finish but it seems the broadcast is a bit glitchy. Checking other channels and it just seems to be Fox.

Old 03-25-2024, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Love the road courses so I will be watching from start to finish but it seems the broadcast is a bit glitchy. Checking other channels and it just seems to be Fox.
Interesting that you mention a glitchy FOX broadcast...my DVR didn't record the entire race for some reason. I had to watch the reply on YouTube.

Old 03-25-2024, 08:59 AM

9,890 posts, read 10,820,807 times
Well it looks like little Christopher Bell been believing his own press clippings or he is graduating into the Prima dona Gibbs driver.
How many people did he dump yesterday? Kyle Larson and Kyle Busch.... the latter putting the fear of God into him after the race.
If you watch the video of the "discussion" Bell looks like he may have had to go change his shorts afterward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX6fYDWuBjQ

Old 03-26-2024, 10:57 AM

Glad to see some veteran leadership by Kyle Bush.

Old 03-26-2024, 05:54 PM

9,890 posts, read 10,820,807 times
I agree with Richard!
Its flat freaking stupid. Top 3 guys in points haven't won a race, while the guy that has won 2 races with no DNF's is in 6th place.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mot...add2421a&ei=44
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing